General Impressions

"I think you summarised the general consensus here overall"

Really I thought most of the fan were happy with Shenmue 3 (despite some problem)
I am very happy with Shenmue 3, I even like the combat and the stamina system :). But I understand some don't like it

I would be curious to see a poll :
-Do you like Shenmue 3
-A lot
-A litlle
-Not so much
-Not at all
I probably should have elaborated so that's my bad.

What I was getting at is the same sorts of shortcomings have been raised as a common theme. That's not to say people didn't enjoy Shenmue III and from what I can gather most did, I certainly did. It was referenced in the Embracer conference in Feb this year that fans were happy with it, user reviews are pretty good.

Apologies for the miscommunication.

Hello. I'm a newcomer who recently got into this series like a week ago....
Welcome, I really enjoyed your post. I would say that I also missed the throws, but I grew to like the combat. Did you know about the slow mo dodge? I also liked how the Rose Garden had rings outs as a bit of a throwback to Virtua Fighter. The combat tutorial is awful and I really feel like if the game took it's time and explained all the mechanics to new players it wouldn't be viewed as poor as it is.

Last edited:
I probably should have elaborated so that's my bad.

What I was getting at is the same sorts of shortcomings have been raised as a common theme. That's not to say people didn't enjoy Shenmue III and from what I can gather most did, I certainly did. It was referenced in the Embracer conference in Feb this year that fans were happy with it, user reviews are pretty good.

Apologies for the miscommunication.
Haha ok I understand, no problem :)

Remember it well; my boss allowed me to have the afternoon off, went and picked up the game (as my KS copy came in 2 days later :mad:... and I wanted the coin!), ordered a personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut (it's better in Canada than the US and it is my favourite pizza chain :D), had some more goodies and some Dr. Pepper, proceeded to play for 6 hours straight (my wife made dinner), ate, then played some more after dinner.

Was a good day :)

I remember I had school that day, but no worries! To hype myself up I played the trial on the bus using my laptop lol! Controls were terrible but I didn't care 😎

I couldn't book time off but I made a point to bolt out of the office bang on at 5pm like an antisocial prick, race home, quickly stuff my face and then play for 4-5 hours every evening. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Took the day off, picked up my several copies (preorder bonuses from GameStop and Best Buy), and then went home, finished what little bit I had in my latest Shenmue II run, then hopped right into III. Magical!

As a dude, who created his account on this forum exactly a week before the official release, I am surprised to see that it turned around so quickly. But yeah, a year ago I was being treated for my psychosis and intrusive thoughts at a mental ward, where I sadly returned to this year for three weeks, after an "episode" that could have ended tragically.
I had to wait until Christmas when I got my monthly payment, more than enough for me to purchase my PS4. However, it wasn't until this March when I got a hold of my copy of S3, bringing me joy after my country went under its first lockdown, thus giving me the opportunity to experience the game in its full "valor". I spent about a week to complete the game, but I missed out on various side-activities, such as fishing.
Still, the game makes up with its rich side content and the "hidden" charm that spells out the franchise's name. Like I said, it fell short on gameplay length, but it makes up for it with side activities.

I think I took a week paid vacation time beginning the day or two prior.

Played like 40 hrs first play only focusing on spar training (not even all of the dojos or rose garden), herbs and literally just two tiny side missions. Still have tons to play on my next real run offline--not live.

Hi everyone. This is not the first time ive been here and it wont be the last because shenmue 3 is an important aspect of my life and im here today to do a real analysis and review of the film. Shenmue 3 ever since i was a kid seemed like a fantasy but now it is here. Shenmue 3 i loved when it came out my mother bought for me on schristmas and i played it all night and it brought so much joy and nostalgia. Its hard ot over state how much the shenhua games mean to me. I love they saga so much. i continue to play shenmue 1 and 2 in christmas almost as a tradition for me. But i watched many review and played the game again of shenmue 3 and i was just devhasted. This was not the game that it was meant to be. I almost teared up. so here are some of my criticisms.

-review-
Shenmue 3 has a fundamentally broken plot, how did Niao Sun know Ryo had the mirror? Why don’t any of the martial artists help out in the village when there’s a literal hostage situation? Why did the thugs stay there for so long? Wasn’t there mission to bring Yanxin to the chi you men? Why are they hanging out at a house with him as their hostage.

Why would Ryo give Niao Sun the mirror if he was literally told they can ressurect a monster that’ll devour the earth if the chi you men get it? Ren had a perfect plan with the fake mirror.

And the gameplay is awful. Why is the stamina your health? Why do I constantly have to grind?

The combat has been completely ruined. Its this meshmash of weird animations and it just doesn't flow well.

The character animations looking back are lackluster. Ryo looks cursed. And final criticism why cant i pick up items quickly. Yes it seems dumb but in a game that promotes eating and stamina, these little things make Ryo seem slow and dull. Remember, gameplay and story go hand in hand, so when I see this it makes me believe that Ryo is truly a bumbling, slow idiot. A childhood hero reduced to this. I have to constantly eat because of the stamina system and its just ridiculous.

Final conceous: This game hurt me.. in a lot of ways. I wanted it to be something but it was always broken, and i only realize this now. I hope the anime is good and if there's ever another shenmue game, I'm going to keep hopes lowered..

3/10

Now that enough time has passed from the release of S3, the rose tinted glasses are off. Gosh I miss the real Shenmue feel. S3 feels like a functioning, but cheap Chinese knockoff and quite soulless. What a strange entity Shenmue is and what nostalgia and problems it can bring. In the beginning I felt strong in not changing the system, engine, and art style, but now it really shows how much has to change to make a good Shenmue 4.

Now that enough time has passed from the release of S3, the rose tinted glasses are off. Gosh I miss the real Shenmue feel. S3 feels like a functioning, but cheap Chinese knockoff and quite soulless. What a strange entity Shenmue is and what nostalgia and problems it can bring. In the beginning I felt strong in not changing the system, engine, and art style, but now it really shows how much has to change to make a good Shenmue 4.
I don't know exactly what you refer by cheap Chinese knockoff and soulless, but I disagree. S3 have all the core design elements that would make what Shenmue is and some more. It got actually a robust fighting system despite what most people are saying, with a deeper learning curve which is actually required from the player this time around unlike previous titles, unless they are fond of grinding. As for any unpolished aspects I would attribute those to being a crowdfunded project, which means extremely constrained budget and yet the obligation to cater to features fans demand, like dual language voice-over, arcade and forklift mini-games. Meanwhile, Yu had to sacrifice mechanics he intended to implement like multiple character selection at one point in the game, the "siege setpiece" mechanic and the npc relationship build-up one to fulfill most fans' whishes. And yet, aside from Kingdom Come: Deliverance which already had a prototype ready beforehand as I understand, I still see S3 as the most ambitious Kickstarter game released to date, with a fully 3D open world like structure in 1st/3rd person and an amount of voiced dialogue that surpasses even the likes of the Mass Effect RPG games.

I don't know exactly what you refer by cheap Chinese knockoff and soulless, but I disagree. S3 have all the core design elements that would make what Shenmue is and some more. It got actually a robust fighting system despite what most people are saying, with a deeper learning curve which is actually required from the player this time around unlike previous titles, unless they are fond of grinding. As for any unpolished aspects I would attribute those to being a crowdfunded project, which means extremely constrained budget and yet the obligation to cater to features fans demand, like dual language voice-over, arcade and forklift mini-games. Meanwhile, Yu had to sacrifice mechanics he intended to implement like multiple character selection at one point in the game, the "siege setpiece" mechanic and the npc relationship build-up one to fulfill most fans' whishes. And yet, aside from Kingdom Come: Deliverance which already had a prototype ready beforehand as I understand, I still see S3 as the most ambitious Kickstarter game released to date, with a fully 3D open world like structure in 1st/3rd person and an amount of voiced dialogue that surpasses even the likes of the Mass Effect RPG games.
I agree 100% with guppy :)

Hi everyone. This is not the first time ive been here and it wont be the last because shenmue 3 is an important aspect of my life and im here today to do a real analysis and review of the film. Shenmue 3 ever since i was a kid seemed like a fantasy but now it is here. Shenmue 3 i loved when it came out my mother bought for me on schristmas and i played it all night and it brought so much joy and nostalgia. Its hard ot over state how much the shenhua games mean to me. I love they saga so much. i continue to play shenmue 1 and 2 in christmas almost as a tradition for me. But i watched many review and played the game again of shenmue 3 and i was just devhasted. This was not the game that it was meant to be. I almost teared up. so here are some of my criticisms.

-review-
Shenmue 3 has a fundamentally broken plot, how did Niao Sun know Ryo had the mirror? Why don’t any of the martial artists help out in the village when there’s a literal hostage situation? Why did the thugs stay there for so long? Wasn’t there mission to bring Yanxin to the chi you men? Why are they hanging out at a house with him as their hostage.

Why would Ryo give Niao Sun the mirror if he was literally told they can ressurect a monster that’ll devour the earth if the chi you men get it? Ren had a perfect plan with the fake mirror.

And the gameplay is awful. Why is the stamina your health? Why do I constantly have to grind?

The combat has been completely ruined. Its this meshmash of weird animations and it just doesn't flow well.

The character animations looking back are lackluster. Ryo looks cursed. And final criticism why cant i pick up items quickly. Yes it seems dumb but in a game that promotes eating and stamina, these little things make Ryo seem slow and dull. Remember, gameplay and story go hand in hand, so when I see this it makes me believe that Ryo is truly a bumbling, slow idiot. A childhood hero reduced to this. I have to constantly eat because of the stamina system and its just ridiculous.

Final conceous: This game hurt me.. in a lot of ways. I wanted it to be something but it was always broken, and i only realize this now. I hope the anime is good and if there's ever another shenmue game, I'm going to keep hopes lowered..

3/10
Yep. Shenmue was and is a fixture in my life too for it’s better and for it’s worse. S3 didn’t play right, or even look right. Most important it didn’t feel right. If the game brought you joy, awesome. If the game let you down, it’s a pity. I think S3 was a huge learning experience, and such a gift though I too score it just as low. I love to hear others opinions of Shenmue 3 and opinions of praise and love of it. People who loved this game know it’s history and hold Yu in high regard. I love this game and hold Yu in high regard but long for the quiet Showa period of Yamanose in S1 and the thrill and unrelenting journey of S2. I can’t get what Shenmue 3 is trying to give and it is painful to say because there are people behind this game that I know wanted that to come through to the player. Shenmue 4, I challenge you and cannot wait for the day to see you.

Verbal warning for casual racism.

Criticize all you want despite disagreements about Shenmue 3, but don't scapegoat "cheap Chinese knockoff soulless"

to the critics that took Shenmue too serious: S3 never could pass your expectations because the imagination is always stronger than the reality.

I am a old/new fan. Knew about Shenmue back than thanks to magazine articles and wanted to play it but then my dumb younger self fell for the Sony hype for the Hype Station 2 pardon I mean PS2 and then the Dreamcast together with Shenmue fell into the abyss of oblivion.

Did not discovered Shenmue again until 2018 and since then I am big fan. Maybe due to the fact that had to wait for Shenmue 3 only 2 years my requirements for the game are way much less stricter than the old fans. The old fans had to wait for decade so they could create a 3 in their minds and of course nostalgic memories cannot beat the reality.

I seriously cannot understand the criticism 3 does not feel or play like Shenmue. To me it feels and plays exactly like Shenmue. Which is great considering the long gap between the releases

It is not the best Shenmue but it is a solid entry into the Series put into the same category as part 1. Part 2 is the best game so far.

ps: Although I will never understand the feelings and the critisism I am fully aware of the fact feeling and memories plays an important part how to view an game.

I will never feel that nostalgia which Shenmue but I know how it feels. I am big Resident Evil Fan the original Re 2 is my favorite.

Although the remake get as close a modern game can get to the emulate the feeling of the original Re 2 the RE 2 remake still did not nail it completely.

They omit many famous music pieces that are essential for the experience. At least to me.

Just look at the fan made addition of one of the famous themes. It would have made the game way better

Shenmue 3 did not have that problem. It has the iconic music and everything that made the series great.

But I can just speak for myself. Maybe the original games had some small details that 3 could not emulate and that' s why some old fans here did not like it.

I do not want to enforce my opinion on them. I can just say that I like S3 as a newcomer fan.

Last edited:
Back