General RGG Discussion

I’ve been doing the Y3 coliseum. Do you guys usually complete the coliseums? I’ve never done it. I’ve gotten through four of the challenges. I hate leaving too much of the extra content open. It feels wrong… Then as I’m walking out of purgatory there’s a fortune teller who has even MORE combat challenges for me. (Is she always there? First time I’ve noticed)

Just finished Wakazo’s Notebook, cuz I need that detective fix.

Most of the time i'm trying to do as much content as i can in these games,
i never focus on main story only. Host bar manager, driving the taxi, skateboard races and boxing in Lost Judgment,
all good. If its fun and unique, i will do it.
But if i notice that some of the side content
just keeps repeating itself for 10 (boring) hours or you have to grind for hours
because otherwise its going to be impossible to beat the last 3 missions or so,
then i'm going to abandon that side content because i feel like its just wasting my time.
For example i dont like the coliseum or clan creator stuff. Its just boring.

Been playing through the Kaito Files in Lost Judgement. If all this business about Yagami’s actor not being returning to the series for whatever reason is true, then I wouldn’t mind seeing Kaito and company taking over in the next game(s). Kaito has that “tough as hell, but dumb” charm about him which I think could make him an engaging lead character. Maybe a little too similar to Kiryu gameplay-wise, but I was never a fan of Yagami’s spider monkey antics anyway. Plus, the supporting cast of characters that remain are fantastic and would be more than enough to add to another game.

1. Tanimura's actor isn't coming back.
2. Tanimura sucks.
Yeah, Tanimura was changed in the remaster for the same reason Hamura was changed in Judgment (real life actors being involved in drug scandals which is a huge no-no in Japan) so a return of the character seems unlikely. I think they referenced him near the finale of Yakuza 5, but that's it.

I do like Tanimura as a character, but I wouldn't put him on the same level as Akiyama who I think low-key is one of the best characters in the franchise.

The character is still young enough to play a larger role in upcoming games and I believe I read somewhere that he was originally supposed to be in Yakuza 7. When the actor wasn't available due to scheduling conflicts (?), Nick Ogata was created.

I’ve been doing the Y3 coliseum. Do you guys usually complete the coliseums? I’ve never done it. I’ve gotten through four of the challenges. I hate leaving too much of the extra content open. It feels wrong… Then as I’m walking out of purgatory there’s a fortune teller who has even MORE combat challenges for me. (Is she always there? First time I’ve noticed)

Just finished Wakazo’s Notebook, cuz I need that detective fix.
I think I've finished about 99% of the side content in all games and always have a blast doing it. Even some of the stuff that would be considered grindy by some players is stuff that I tend to greatly enjoy. I just absolutely love spending time in that world.

Absolutely love all the Coliseum stuff and put a lot of time into completing it in Yakuza 3. Eventually I got pretty good at beating even the hard bosses.

That said, I haven't gotten a Platinum trophy in any of the games, because I never fully complete the in-game achievements (i.e. score 5 million points in the arcade games, win a high level Mahjong game and so on).

I've watched hours of YouTube tutorials explaining Riichi Mahjong to me and I still barely grasp it lol.

Platinum trophies are a great goal when revisiting the games down the line, though.

Yeah, Tanimura was changed in the remaster for the same reason Hamura was changed in Judgment (real life actors being involved in drug scandals which is a huge no-no in Japan) so a return of the character seems unlikely. I think they referenced him near the finale of Yakuza 5, but that's it.

I do like Tanimura as a character, but I wouldn't put him on the same level as Akiyama who I think low-key is one of the best characters in the franchise.

The character is still young enough to play a larger role in upcoming games and I believe I read somewhere that he was originally supposed to be in Yakuza 7. When the actor wasn't available due to scheduling conflicts (?), Nick Ogata was created.

Indeed, Akiyama is awesome, a great character and great voice actor.

Tanimura was another, "shoehorn character," who's involved in the plot quite a bit, but the game's plot wouldn't have an ounce of difference, if they didn't exist. He definitely felt like the most, "extra," of the characters in 4 and that's even with cutting Kiryu's time back significantly (which was a massive mistake on the devs' part).

And I hear you on the side content; I too try to do as much as possible (it's why I've beaten each game more than once, as some of the trophies require the higher difficulty being beaten) and have only platinumed 6 and 7 (both in Japanese, no less and I don't speak the language!), but mahjong takes so long (and I know how to play it too, as well as how scoring works, etc.), shogi can take forever and some arcade games I just don't wish to play for very long (VF5 and Space Harrier {I know, blasphemy} mainly).

At times, it gets a bit much...

Think I’m done with 3 after the Hitman missions. Those are fun. I cannot figure out the cabaret. I followed the GameFAQs guide but my first and only girl is always stressed out and always ends up ruining one of the three dates. Then she’s not at the club the next day. I’ve tried it all. Usually one of the sub plots im drawn to.

Last edited:
I’ve found I like shogi ok with the understanding it’s sorta like chess, but otherwise yeah a lot of mini games and gambling I don’t have much patience for. Now the Mario Kart stuff, that’s fun. Also I don’t recall if there’s more than just a couple diving missions in 6 but when I replay it I hope to find out.

No driving missions in 6; there's baseball ;) (which I absolutely ADORED, even if it was as barebones as it could be).

7 has Dragon Kart, 5 has the Taxi missions and racing.

I also LOVE Shogi, as I am a big Chess guy (have been since I was 3; one of the first games I learned how to play), but I'm not a fan of playing it on RGG due to the fast-pace: it's funny because I play chess very fast (I see moves ahead very quickly and decisively), but I guess the language barrier causes me to slow down.

I loved the Pocket Racing Circuit in Yakuza 0, even though I just ended up cheating in the end. Y0 cabaret was my favorite thing for a while, 'til its shallowness revealed itself to me. Spent about a whole week focusing on that to the exclusion of the rest of the game. I really liked the Majima thing in Y2, probably because of the awesome song and dance intro that my wife still asks me about every time I play one of these games. Is that the Clan Creator everyone hates? I can't even remember lol.

In Y3 I ended up mastering the Mack races. I hated those chase sequences up 'til that point, but seeing those high score goals gave me the incentive I needed. Shame there was no trophy...

Spearfishing! Loved that too! Hell, anything with fishing I go nuts for :D

EDIT* Yeah, that's on me, @BloodyHeartland ; you indeed wrote DIVING (facepalm)

I loved the Pocket Racing Circuit in Yakuza 0, even though I just ended up cheating in the end. Y0 cabaret was my favorite thing for a while, 'til its shallowness revealed itself to me. Spent about a whole week focusing on that to the exclusion of the rest of the game. I really liked the Majima thing in Y2, probably because of the awesome song and dance intro that my wife still asks me about every time I play one of these games. Is that the Clan Creator everyone hates? I can't even remember lol.

In Y3 I ended up mastering the Mack races. I hated those chase sequences up 'til that point, but seeing those high score goals gave me the incentive I needed. Shame there was no trophy...

Correct, Clan Creator; I MUCH preferred 6's Clan Creator to Kiwami 2s. And yes, the song is imbedded into my head :LOL:

Last edited:
Been playing through the Kaito Files in Lost Judgement. If all this business about Yagami’s actor not being returning to the series for whatever reason is true, then I wouldn’t mind seeing Kaito and company taking over in the next game(s). Kaito has that “tough as hell, but dumb” charm about him which I think could make him an engaging lead character. Maybe a little too similar to Kiryu gameplay-wise, but I was never a fan of Yagami’s spider monkey antics anyway. Plus, the supporting cast of characters that remain are fantastic and would be more than enough to add to another game.
It's not happening.

Last edited:
Started up Y4 after finishing the Y3 HLA missions, which seemed like the only real substantial sub story I had left. I’m… not Kiryu!? I need to pay more attention.

It's ok, Akiyama and Saejima are fun and Saejima's involvement in the plot is superbly-done (though Akiyama is a bit of an afterthought in the grand scheme of things).

I don't really mind now that I've played a tiny bit and also found out the fighting seems significantly improved from Y3. It's certainly nowhere near as frustrating and seems to animate much better. Running into Komaki immediately at least gave me a taste of the old.

The story seems intriguing so far as well.

I love Akiyama’s fighting style. The fact that he’s just so chill compared to many of the other characters especially I feel comes through with how he moves and all. I might be a bit biased because he’s the first Yakuza protagonist I was introduced to but even so I hope he’ll be in another game in the future.

I don't really mind now that I've played a tiny bit and also found out the fighting seems significantly improved from Y3. It's certainly nowhere near as frustrating and seems to animate much better. Running into Komaki immediately at least gave me a taste of the old.

The story seems intriguing so far as well.

The plot is not bad at first, until Tanimura comes along. Saejima's story in this game is the best BY FAR.

Official licensed Yakuza skins for Rainbow Six Siege.
Includes a Kiryu and Sayama player skin + a dragon tattoo and police weapon skin.
A Majima player skin is coming at a later date.

... wait, what? What kind of alternative universe timeline is this?

Back