General RGG Discussion

I disagree but appreciate your input. As I mentioned before I didn't post Lost Judgment in the Yakuza thread to get any input on Yakuza, since it was moved here by the forum admins. I don't come into this thread and talk poorly about Yakuza, but given the circumstance it is what it is and I'm going to continue to express my feelings and opinions freely as I see fit. Why is it not a great idea to ask about serious respectable opinions? I have no issue receiving them on this forum in general because I post genuine curiosity and questions to get peoples opinions while sharing my own. That's really all this comes down to is a difference of opinion. You think my post is flawed, thats cool, I disagree. You interpret it as negative, that's also cool, I disagree. I don't expect anyone to read my posts unless they want to nor do I expect the questions to be answered in a 'positive way' but rather in an honest way. If someone's being a genuine prick or attacking me directly which would be actual negativity I would ignore and move on. Have you seen me attack anyone directly for liking Yakuza, or for any taste they may have for that matter? I'm certain I haven't done that, and if I ever have I'd be willing to take a look at the context and own it. I'll do something I rarely do cause it's redundant but given the commentary of this post I'll say that *in my opinion* speaking directly your own opinion, your own truth or your own feelings isn't something anyone should compromise on or feel apologetic about. In case you decide to not engage with my post again, I want to Thank You for sharing your view and encourage you to continue to do so.
You can like or dont like whatever you want and say (pretty much, almost) whatever you want.
I'm not here to order you to be quiet.
BUT if you want to receive for example serious well-meant answers, if you want to keep the flow of the discussion
on a well-meant level,
then you should write your post accordingly.
Like, if i join some board on Reddit or Gamefaq
and be like 'Hey guys, you know how it is, Zelda games are pretty boring, for kids, overhyped
and i dont like Link or fantasy in general ... but do you think i would like that new Musou spin off or is that bad as well?'

... why would anyone be interested in talking to me?
Theres no neutral ground there and it starts a hostile discussion for no reason.

You can like or dont like whatever you want and say (pretty much, almost) whatever you want.
I'm not here to order you to be quiet.
BUT if you want to receive for example serious well-meant answers, if you want to keep the flow of the discussion
on a well-meant level,
then you should write your post accordingly.
Like, if i join some board on Reddit or Gamefaq
and be like 'Hey guys, you know how it is, Zelda games are pretty boring, for kids, overhyped
and i dont like Link or fantasy in general ... but do you think i would like that new Musou spin off or is that bad as well?'

... why would anyone be interested in talking to me?
Theres no neutral ground there and it starts a hostile discussion for no reason.
I appreciate the first part of your response, thank you, I feel the same way towards you and everyone in general.
I feel I did write my Judgment post accordingly otherwise I wouldn't have started a thread for it outside of the Yakuza thread. I received some serious well intended answers and input from YourBoyLeroy and xatruio regarding Judgment as well as some of their thoughts on Yakuza. In our back n forth it was established that I may not enjoy the Jugdment gameplay due to not liking Yakuzas but that it's possible Judgment may have the depth I seek in its story that I don't feel Yakuza has. There's no harm in the way I'm expressing myself or the way they are responding to me just because some people don't like it. While I didn't initially like my separate thread being moved into this one by the admins it's actually working out better because you and I are getting an opportunity to better understand ourselves and each other in our exchange here, and I have also received some of the input I wanted regarding Judgment which was what I originally was focused on, not Yakuza. When my Judgment post gets moved into the Yakuza thread and at the same time when the first response I get to Lost Judgment is someone comparing it to Yakuza(which I honestly expect to be fair with it being the same studio)then the conversation moves in a new direction.

Your Zelda example seems to be taken completely out of context considering were on a Shenmue forum. If I sought out this forum and came here to express my dislike for Shenmue then I could see your point, but since this forum is a Shenmue forum and I love Shenmue, all other games are subject to reasonable scrutiny. I'd hope that everyone here loves Shenmue, the same way everyone on a Zelda forum would hopefully love Zelda, otherwise why are they on that site other than to spread negativity? 'You know how it is' isn't an accurate view on the way I'm presenting my feelings and opinions but if you would like to view it that way that is cool. If I say "Yakuza is absolute trash and you're an idiot if you like it!" then I'd be out of line and unfair, which is why I don't say that. I only say the first part because that's my feelings on it, but to degrade or judge someone else for liking it? That's abusive, toxic and unfair to do as they may see value in it even if I don't. You seem to be suggesting that since Judgment is made by the Yakuza studio that it's a spinoff? Is it a spinoff? I'm honestly not sure but from what I've got in response it seems to be its own game entirely just using the engine of Yakuza and with the same people behind it. Just because I love Mortal Kombat doesn't mean I like Injustice. I love Ghost of Tsushima but can do without inFamous for the most part. Loathing Yakuza doesn't mean I'll automatically loathe Judgment, on the contrary I'm open minded to it.

I appreciate the first part of your response, thank you, I feel the same way towards you and everyone in general.
I feel I did write my Judgment post accordingly otherwise I wouldn't have started a thread for it outside of the Yakuza thread. I received some serious well intended answers and input from YourBoyLeroy and xatruio regarding Judgment as well as some of their thoughts on Yakuza. In our back n forth it was established that I may not enjoy the Jugdment gameplay due to not liking Yakuzas but that it's possible Judgment may have the depth I seek in its story that I don't feel Yakuza has. There's no harm in the way I'm expressing myself or the way they are responding to me just because some people don't like it. While I didn't initially like my separate thread being moved into this one by the admins it's actually working out better because you and I are getting an opportunity to better understand ourselves and each other in our exchange here, and I have also received some of the input I wanted regarding Judgment which was what I originally was focused on, not Yakuza. When my Judgment post gets moved into the Yakuza thread and at the same time when the first response I get to Lost Judgment is someone comparing it to Yakuza(which I honestly expect to be fair with it being the same studio)then the conversation moves in a new direction.

Your Zelda example seems to be taken completely out of context considering were on a Shenmue forum. If I sought out this forum and came here to express my dislike for Shenmue then I could see your point, but since this forum is a Shenmue forum and I love Shenmue, all other games are subject to reasonable scrutiny. I'd hope that everyone here loves Shenmue, the same way everyone on a Zelda forum would hopefully love Zelda, otherwise why are they on that site other than to spread negativity? 'You know how it is' isn't an accurate view on the way I'm presenting my feelings and opinions but if you would like to view it that way that is cool. If I say "Yakuza is absolute trash and you're an idiot if you like it!" then I'd be out of line and unfair, which is why I don't say that. I only say the first part because that's my feelings on it, but to degrade or judge someone else for liking it? That's abusive, toxic and unfair to do as they may see value in it even if I don't. You seem to be suggesting that since Judgment is made by the Yakuza studio that it's a spinoff? Is it a spinoff? I'm honestly not sure but from what I've got in response it seems to be its own game entirely just using the engine of Yakuza and with the same people behind it. Just because I love Mortal Kombat doesn't mean I like Injustice. I love Ghost of Tsushima but can do without inFamous for the most part. Loathing Yakuza doesn't mean I'll automatically loathe Judgment, on the contrary I'm open minded to it.
Okay,
i'm just going to answer your questions in the best way i can.
Yes, Judgment and Lost Judgment are like spin offs, both of them
take place in the same universe as all of the main Yakuza games.
But that doesnt mean that you have to know everything about every Yakuza game, you dont.
All of the characters in Judgment are new and the storyline of Judgment is completely its own thing.
No connections. No knowledge required.

Yagamai, the main character in Judgment, is a private detective,
so he is not part of some Yakuza clan or family, hes a neutral person.
Which means his story is not about Yakuza honor, clan negotiations or stuff like that.
Hes investigating a weird brutal murder case
and somehow it seems like the events are tied to his own past when he worked as a lawyer.
The story is dark and about themes that are not typical for videogames.
It is a very personal story about Yagami but it has different layers on top of it.
It has a lot of surprises and it takes a while to unfold.

The gameplay has typical elements from the Yakuza series, brawler fighting gameplay
with level up mechanics and skills. So yes, when Yagami meets bad guys, or when there is a boss fight,
you have to fight them in the classic brawler style. The only difference is that Yagami is pretty fast.
It also has new elements because of Yagamis job as a detective.
Like picking the correct evidence in a dialogue, finding clues in specific areas in first person,
ask the correct questions in a correct order, find people with your drone, lockpicking doors and some other things.
These gameplay mechanics are not hard or complicated at all and more for the immersion.
The main story is cutscene and dialogue heavy, this is a full on story game.
Even if you only do story missions back to back and nothing else, the game is probably still 20-30 hours long.

Pretty much all of the funny, weird, grinding content is not in the main story.
For example Yagami can accept optional side story missions
where he is looking for a ghost or where some pervert is molesting people etc.
Most of this stuff is lighthearted, has a funny twist or just some small message.
You can also grind money in a VR mini game, do drone races, make friends with the staff of shops
and other things. All optional. If you do all of this stuff, the game is probably more like 60-90 hours long.

See, i could have answered your questions without all the negative Yakuza discussion and comparison.

1623163666301.png

You were saying?

Attitude; it's everything.

This whole Shenmue vs Yakuza thing in general is so lame.
Like for what are we even picking sides or why do we have to attack each other?
There is nothing to gain or win. Whats the point?

This is literally about two or three studios that are working or worked
for the exact same publisher in the exact same country.
Some of the staff even worked or is working for both developers.
Maybe we should all join forces to support niche products from overseas
instead of trying to set a floor on fire while we are all in the same building.

Meanwhile RGG Studio and AM2 are working together for Sega on Virtua Fighter ...
waaaaiiiit a minute ... shouldnt they all hate each other?! ...
Do we really think that people like Nagoshi or Suzuki care about this fan bubble stuff?

I mean i can understand things like Battlefield vs COD or something like LOL vs Dota, maybe,
but Shenmue vs Yakuza ... whats the battle?

...who said they hate each other?

Pretty sure Suzuki was Nagoshi's mentor and they still have massive respect for each other. Weird narrative if true about animosity or rivalry

This is exactly the point, there is nothing out there that suggests that Suzuki hates Nagoshi
or that Nagoshi hates Suzuki or that AM2 hates RGG or whatever.
They never say anything bad about each others projects or past.
But now lets switch to Yakuza or Shenmue Youtube videos or Twitter posts, Reddit posts etc
and all of a sudden its all about 'blah blah blah ... Shenmue was first, Yakuza is just a budget version'
'blah blah blah who cares about Shenmue, just play Yakuza'
Its like we are talking about some rival companies from two different sides of the earth
and you clearly have to pick one.
The fans created some kind of rival battle, even tho the actual developers have no battle against each other at all
and literally came from the same publisher.
But you can bet money that this discussion will appear again and again and again.
And whats there to win in this vs discussion? Nothing.

Bingo! As @Revan said to me a little bit ago, "maybe people think there is a Shenmue vs. Yakuza war going on, when really there isn't." (paraphrased)

As I've always said, there is room for both series and truly, from a quality, story and scope-factor, these are the two greatest franchises that Sega has ever created; Shenmue II is my favourite Sega game ever (2nd console, 3rd outright) and Yakuza 3 is my 2nd favourite Sega game ever (3rd console, 4th outright). Of my leg tattoo, the two biggest pieces are Ryo in front of the Phoenix Mirror and Kiryu looking up and smoking (cover from the NTSC-J version of Yakuza 3).

I know I'm not the only person that holds both series in high regard and there's no need to pit the two against each other; just because someone doesn't like it, doesn't mean that hate and vitriol needs to be spread.

Feels like simply not talking about each other or misinterpretation of them being awkward when asked about the other, people presume and create faulty narratives.

Honestly though.... if someone kept asking me about a project I have nothing to do with... the fuck you suppose to do?

I'd tell them to leave me alone haha

Lost Judgment, a sequel to 2019’s Yakuza spin-off Judgment, will launch simultaneously worldwide.
Producer Kazuki Hosokawa says this drastically increased the workload for the team.
“It tripled the struggles for the entire development staff”

WHEN CREATING A SEQUEL TO JUDGMENT, WHAT WERE THE MAIN FEATURES RGG STUDIO WANTED TO IMPROVE?

The feedback from our fans has given us a clear understanding of what we should keep consistent and what we need to change, and we would like to give an earnest response to that through this game.

We know that the big thing we need to keep consistent is the quality of the drama aspect of the game, and we’re working on providing a story that is just as good as or may even be better than the last game. The aspect that we needed to refine is the investigative action elements. This is where we received the most comments, so we’re ensuring that we address them properly as we move forward with development.

Since Judgment was the first entry in the series, we really focused on building up the core elements of the game. Now that we’re onto a sequel, we have learnings from the previous game to expand upon and work in all kinds of new experiences. One of the biggest things that changed from the last game is that players will be able to see many more sides of Yagami than before. Please look forward to this.

WILL ANY CHARACTERS FROM MAINLINE YAKUZA GAMES PLAY AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN LOST JUDGMENT?

We understand that many fans are hoping for this, but like the previous game, there won’t be any crossover with important characters in Lost Judgment.

Still need to pre-order, but good to know that I won't have to go through Play-Asia this time around...

Just got both Yakuza Like A Dragon & Judgment on PS5 for £47 on eBay - Can't argue with that at all! I'm still currently playing through Yakuza 6 but probably will be playing both titles later this year.

Last edited:
Yakuza like a dragon in pc gamepass right now yes boyyyyys love you Microsoft <3

Alright I'm playing a few minutes of Like a Dragon.

Idk man, this turn based battle system, maybe doesnt convince me anOH MY GOD I HAVE DIALOGUE OPTIONS YES BOYS.

Anyway, this guy is not Kiryu, I mean, he seems cool but Idk if I can forgOH MY GOD HE'S A SWEETHEART I LOVE HIM.

Man… that theme song for Yakuza 7. I wasn’t too fond of the game itself, but after watching the music video with English lyrics for the theme song and playing as Ichiban for 40+ hours, it gets you right in the feels.

Ichiban, I love you man.

I'm not a fan of electronica, but this is a PERFECT song for 2019/2020/2021, in terms of what music and music conventions is popular, not to mention that Shonan no Kaze are PERFECT for this series; this is the 3rd game they've done the theme(s) for now and each song is just a monster (well, Kurenai isn't a monster, but it is an incredible song, arguably the best pure piece of music, of the 4).

The music video is also phenomenal; RGG Studios did such a great job with it and seeing scenes from the game, with the characters replaced, is just too awesome.

Judgment has sold over 1 million copies worldwide.
View attachment 11802

As it should have!

Back