General RGG Discussion

I would've LOVED the quizzes if I played in English, so I couldn't get much out of it as I hoped.

My favourite in 7 was probably can collecting, probably because I got really good at it and as it is an arcade-style minigame (beat the score), I loved it.

1B would be the sheep sleep game (Can Collecting is 1A). I don't know why, but I found it SO funny and ridiculous :LOL:

Don't know if this has been posted but Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1 & Yakuza 6 are all going for £3.74 on Xbox for a Day or so! Hoping Yakuza 6 will be enhanced a bit as the motion blur on PS4 drove me crackers!

I would've LOVED the quizzes if I played in English, so I couldn't get much out of it as I hoped.

My favourite in 7 was probably can collecting, probably because I got really good at it and as it is an arcade-style minigame (beat the score), I loved it.

1B would be the sheep sleep game (Can Collecting is 1A). I don't know why, but I found it SO funny and ridiculous :LOL:
I actually had fun playing them in Japanese, especially the sports ones. But the questions about bugs were painful for me, but with geography and history. I remember the Sega questions had stuff about Sakura Taisen, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the English version removed them.

I recently read someone say their take-away from the Y6 ending was Kiryu "running away" and I just... MAAAAAAAN. I'm just flabbergasted.

I hate to sound like a smarmy know it all cunt, but I simply can't help but feel you got absolutely robbed of an incredible experience if that was how you perceived it. A big part of what made it such a great ending imo was thinking that Kiryu was truly making the best choice for Haruka even though emotionally it was upsetting as hell.

Bingo, Dietsoap.

I've written it in other parts of this thread, but the writing for that ending was absolutely brilliant.

Kiryu says it in 5 (about, "guile will only get you so far in this game," to Aizawa and Morninaga); no matter where he goes or what he does, if people discover he's around, those close to him will be hurt and have their lives changed for the worse.

By removing himself from the equation, everyone is safe, happy and healthy and no one's the wiser.

"Running away." Bloody idiots.

Sega reported that they sold about 2.8 mil Yakuza game copies on PC
which means about maybe 350 000 (some more, some less) per game (8 games available).
I mean those arent omega huge sales numbers, considering that for example Yakuza 6 alone
sold over 1 mil copies on PS4 (500 000 copies in half a year overseas)
but its still a lot of extra money for not much effort. + Xbox numbers on top.
So Sega is probably gonna stay on the multiplatform path.

At the same time RGG Studio reported in November that they still cherish the Judgment series
and that they are also working on Yakuza 8 and a unannounced new IP.
RGG Studio now has over 300 employees. So i guess we will still get new games
in short time frames (short in comparison with other studios output)

Last edited:
I recently read someone say their take-away from the Y6 ending was Kiryu "running away" and I just... MAAAAAAAN. I'm just flabbergasted.

I hate to sound like a smarmy know it all cunt, but I simply can't help but feel you got absolutely robbed of an incredible experience if that was how you perceived it. A big part of what made it such a great ending imo was thinking that Kiryu was truly making the best choice for Haruka even though emotionally it was upsetting as hell.
Y6 was an absolute masterpiece all around and had top-notch storytelling. Absolutely agree with you on this.

Bets are open. Will they just keep making Yakuza style games but in a different setting
or something completely different? A racing game? 1st person shooter? Mobile only? PC only?

We'll see what he does; he's been involved in so many genres, it really could be anything at this point.

It's a mainline title next, so I'd expect it be 8 and with the core of the main team still at the studio, I will expect it to be a further-polished game, along the same lines.

The NEXT game will be a spinoff title and whether it is another Judgement title or something completely different, I will then be licking my chops to see what they come up with :D

yeah, the series is clearly in good hands at this point - also as much as i adore yakuza & the spinoffs, i hope they get more time to do their own projects going forward - like, binary domain was ages ago, but that was a blast

Is Sega going to continue releasing new Yakuza games?
I think RGG Studio is working on three games at the moment,
one of them is Yakuza 8 (Like A Dragon 2). Thats the only confirmed title.

But they said they are working on games that dont belong to the Yakuza or Judgment series too.

I think RGG Studio is working on three games at the moment,
one of them is Yakuza 8 (Like A Dragon 2). Thats the only confirmed title.

But they said they are working on games that dont belong to the Yakuza or Judgment series too.

Nagoshi left Sega right? He's not going to be involved in future Yakuza or Judgment games?

Nagoshi left Sega right? He's not going to be involved in future Yakuza or Judgment games?
Hes 'gone', he has his own studio now. So he has nothing to do with anything RGG Studio related anymore.
But you have to remember that Nagoshi wasnt 100% responsible for every single RGG Studio game,
he wasnt the story writer or director for every game. Its not like Nagoshi made all these games single handedly.
He didnt.
And a lot of the original Yakuza 0, Yakuza 6, Judgment guys (directors, writers etc) are still devs at RGG Studio.

Correct.

The only major change in the series' history, was the writer; Hase Seishu (the Japanese crime writer) wrote the first two games (using characters, settings and scenarios that Nagosh' presented to him) and then he was deposed for 3 and have gone with Yokoyama being the main writer, ever since (thank GOD).

Otherwise, the core team has remained (aside from Nagosh' and Sato, who are now gone) since 2004ish (as they were remnants of AM4/Amusement Vision) and are still there.

Looking at the details in the streets in the new Ghostwire Tokyo game,
i really wish a 'next gen' Yakuza game will eventually look like that.
Not talking about the character models or first person perspective,
just about the shadows, shading, reflections, texture quality and amount of detail.

The gameplay in Ghostwire is pretty monotone and typical open world
but the streets are very well made. Every little side street looks unique
and no street or path is empty. There are signs, plants, lights, bikes, cars
and stuff like that everywhere and the time of day changes the look of the buildings surface.
Some of the streets in Yakuza Yokohama have a very flat arcade look to it in comparison.

Back