General RGG Discussion

Preordered within a week or two of announcement. Haven't preorders Yakuza since 5 on PSN. Wanted Zero really bad, but didn't have a PS4 yet and was also tighter on funds at the time--hence no PS4. Y6 i never really intended to pre-order, knowing the series had officially completed the comeback resurgence in west.

Same for Kiwamis and Judgement--I'll wait til I'm ready financially and mentally; by then I'll also have a nice discount to take advantage of... Although, I must admit Judgement was tempting to pre-order, but Shenmue HD got massive precedence last year around same time.

Cannot wait to keep only the 3+4 disc in the red book to match the black book for Song of Life, then use the PS3 case for the Y5HD PS4 disc. Too perfect!!

Not to mention it's a lot of game for a pretty low price. We're talking well over 400 hours worth of content all up (if you're going for completion rates on each game)...it's kind of a steal considering how much game you get out of it.

I'm double dipping. I've already bought the trilogy digitally, but I'm still buying that physical copy just for the Yakuza 5 physical PS3 case to complete the PS3 collection.

Famitsu sales numbers for Japan
Ryu ga Gotoku 7: 156,993 copies = #1 in the charts.
Followed by DBZ Kakarot: 89,537.
Series still continues its pretty steep decline in japan, thats #1 but thats down about 70K copies from yakuza 6 which on release was considered a disappointment at the time

I think its safe to assume RGG has shifted to banking alot on the other territories to keep the series afloat. I dont think this has too much to do with the series tanking in quality or anything more so its just that the ps4 in japan kind of isn't all that alive. judgement had the same sales numbers for its first week as well but I would argue there really should be a noteworthy difference in expectations between a super marketed mainline numbered entry that was announced and promoted years ago with a mobile spin off made to advertise the protagonist and tells the first few hours of the game itself, and the detective spin off game that they treated as a totally new IP that released only a few months after announcement.

Nagoshi recently said that he wants to continue tweaking the turned based for the next entry, but compromised that he might need to find an alternative or even go back to the old style depending on how the game does and is received. Personally, this worries me as someone that generally would prefer the game would go back to its older formula, that even if they do as a compromise its only going to end up feeling less passionately made, the hybrid idea also doesnt really interest me cause pretty much every hybrid between turn based and action tends to be fucking awful cause they are so opposite and usually just ends up feeling like a slow action game rather than a cross between the two.

I dont know, the future of this series is going to be very interesting, are we going to see more experimentation like this? turn based, more judgements, spin offs, and so on. Lets just hope they understand we like these games cause they are very Japanese and while the mainland audience seems to be fading away that doesnt mean we want a game that specifically appeals to the west.

Last edited:
Judge Eyes had KimuTaku.
I mean yes it did, but yakuza 6 had beat takeshi whose literally the most well known and beloved actor in japan and 6 still underperformed at launch. I'm sure both helped sales but I doubt that made a massive difference these games have been declining rapidly in sales since 5, I think its really more just that the console format is dying in japan in favor of mobile stuff like ios or switch, and again even if it did have Kimura, doing that sales number in only 4 months of advertisement versus how 7 had 3 years and an entire free to play game to hype it up doesn't look good.

7 probably needs to bank on the territories outside of japan, which I think the series in general has to do now.

Last edited:
Judgment / Judge Eyes set a new record on release in Japan,
it was the most successful start of a new IP of the whole 2012+ console generation.
Only Death Stranding topped it in 2019.

And yes, overall sales numbers are a little weaker in Japan now
but on the other hand the Ryu Ga Gotoku games are more successful in the west than ever before.
Maybe Yakuza 6 sold about 70,000 copies more on release in Japan than the most recent games
but Yakuza 6 also sold about 1 mil copies worldwide and half of these sales are from non asian western countries.

No other Yakuza game before that came even close to that.
Judgment was a bigger success in the west than Sega imagined.
So even if they are losing 50-100.000 "at home", the other asian countries and the west can compensate
and even top that. So its not like the series is a fail now, the evaluation is just different than before.
The market in general has changed.
And as we can see they still can reach the top of the charts, even when there is new Dragon Ball or Pokemon stuff
and Ryu Ga Gotoku 7 or Judge Eyes is only available on one single platform. (and its not a Nintendo platform)

Things wont go on forever and ever without any changes. Every company, every franchise and every IP has ups and downs.
I mean lets talk about how successful the original PS3 Yakuza 3-5 games were in the west ...
sure Yakuza 5 sold more than 500,000 copies in Japan but what about worldwide?
Probably not even close to 500,000, i mean Sega wasnt even sure if they want to translate it.
Sega still earns money, it just comes from other regions than before and its not even a fault of Sega
or Ryu Ga Gotoku or the PS4, its just how the market is right now.

They should just take a hiatus. Has there been a full year without a Yakuza since....2014? Ishin, Zero, Kiwamis, 6, FOTNS, Judge Eyes.... If not a new Judgement, take a damn break for a couple years like they did while figuring out PS3 architecture for the new engine from Kenzan-Zero.

Finished Yakuza 6 last night. Great game per usual, but I've been tiring of the formula since 5 (if not 4), so I'm excited about the new turn base especially because it is so wild and typically RGG stylish.

Going to start a reboot fo the originals on PS2 before going to Judgement and 0.

I wouldn't say they need to take a break, but definitely try to go off in a different direction, ala Binary Domain.

I hope I am wrong but those numbers on RPG Land make me no optimistic at all about the potential reception in the West.

Also I am afraid of franchise fatigue, since 2017 there are going to be released in the West about 10 games, I have just started Jugdment and 3, 4, 5 are around the corner, I even skipped FOTNS...

Me: Did already said Kiwami 2 it's awesome?
Kiwami 2:
L8sLqI3.png

I hope I am wrong but those numbers on RPG Land make me no optimistic at all about the potential reception in the West.

Also I am afraid of franchise fatigue, since 2017 there are going to be released in the West about 10 games, I have just started Jugdment and 3, 4, 5 are around the corner, I even skipped FOTNS...
I think we are past franchise fatigue unless you count the remasters which only really counts for newer fans, but it was really bad during yakuza 0-fotns releases where even for me there was just too much, granted i had no problem blasting through 0 and 6 cause they were new experiences, the kiwamis took longer cause I essentially already played them on the ps2, and fotns just cause I was pretty let down by that game's quality. To contrast it we only got judgement last year and 7 probably wont even release until at earliest late this year, thats fairly well spaced out.

As for sales/reception, yeah who the fuck knows, its gonna be a interesting game to see if it lands on its feet or flops. I do still stand they did significantly more damage to the game than they needed to by not just being upfront about the shift earlier than teasing the game for years. Its like that tokyo mirage sessions game, the game itself is actually really good, its what it was announced as (A fire emblem x shin megami tensei crossover) and then not elaborated on that killed it and alienated core fans more so then anything actually in the game.

Gonna go on a whim and say y7 will review very well nonetheless, if it does actually review lesser than usual I do think that might change things cause this might be the first entry in the whole series that some core fans are cautious on.

Got around to doing some of the Quiz stuff in Yakuza 7 last night....the Sega Quizzes are fun. Hard to answer though seeing as they only give you a minute and my reading Japanese isn't quite fast enough to get through the questions. So been a bit of guess work. But it's a fun new addition.

Still just Shenmue'ing it...tackling side quests and what not at my own pace. I've been mostly trying to build up my business. It's a good way to make money in this game (I got 180k yen after an hour or so of this mini game)

A little bit of Karaoke.

I truly love Ichiban :) Also, I fucking love that there is SEGA music to be collected in this game. You can buy CDs from the many merchants across town and most of them are SEGA music. I bought the Daytona USA theme from the Dragon Kart store tonight. Am holding out hope for some Shenmue music or Jet Set Radio...but so far haven't seen any....but I have seen music from Nights on sale via the Trash Collecting mini game (or I think it was the Trash Collecting mini game from memory)

Awesome stuff! Man, Y7 is good!

Back