General Virtua Fighter Talk

Someone asked Lise if she recorded new voice lines for the game, all she said was this:
(Bear in mind this tweet was right before they released the retrospective video, but it's still interesting to note.)

What's more exciting? She's doing a LIVE STREAM next Friday to celebrate the remaster! There's gonna be Q&A and shit. That's dope IMHO.

The VF community is also putting together a big tournament for the occasion, gonna be fun:

The Dev Team has shown interest in getting feedback, so, if you have the time, please give them that. Be sure to request FEEDBACK politely, please.

That's it for news tod-Oh, what's this? Part 2 of the Retrospective is up! With our community favorite, Eric Kelso, back as J Bryant himself! Hell yes.

The guy sounds like Ren from Shenmue. VF2 was amazing when it released on Saturn. A true sequel that blew away an already good start with VF1. The lightning effects were great for their time and the music in Sarah Bryant's level is still my favorite in any VF title. VF2 held me over in the mid 90s for a 3D fighting title until Tekken 3 came along. I'm curious to see what they'll say about VF3 in the next retrospective being that it's typically considered the lowest point for the franchise and the least enjoyable title, which I'd have to agree with.

Here you can watch the VoD of Maximilian Doods full Ultimate Showdown stream

FULL STREAM VOD

I think it looks really good.
The only character that looks a little ... i dont know, out of place or unfinished
is Sarah. Maybe its just me
It looks great really for a 15 year old game. It's amazing just how great graphics are with the current (and even the last) console gen. Video games are finally in an era where they can be enjoyed and taken more seriously as something that can deliver a story and realistic piece of art because the characters in them, along with the environments are relatable as things continue to look more like real life. It would be nice to see games continue to move in the direction of being an entertainment that connects us deeper to ourselves and less about escapism. Of course important story telling and gameplay is key, but nothing is more essential than graphics in being able to tell that story to emote emotion and connection. Also, VF5 Final Showdown looks really good on Xbox Series, I'm really looking forward to this new version of it on the PS5.

Here you can watch the VoD of Maximilian Doods full Ultimate Showdown stream

FULL STREAM VOD

I think it looks really good.
The only character that looks a little ... i dont know, out of place or unfinished
is Sarah. Maybe its just me

Yeah Sarah’s face is just weird. Something didn’t transfer well with that one.

Her DOA 5 model is much better.

Pai Chan also looks better in DOA 5 than VF5US. She doesn't look bad, neither does Sarah really but DOA 5 definitely looks better. Akira is the worst looking of the new game and really the only one that doesn't jive with me, he also looks better in DOA 5 and VF5 FS.

Retrospective for BEST VF is here. :geek:

I'm surprised they mentioned the dodge button tactics, that 'feature' alone made the game much worse than the first two. I'm looking forward to the VF4 retrospective as that always felt more like a true sequel to VF2 whereas 3 felt like a mostly failed experimental detour. Not a terrible game, but one of those situations where you continue going back to the previous entry until something better comes along.

I'm not a big (beat em up) fighter game guy,
i think the only game i really played as a solo fighting game was Tekken 3 on PSX
when i was like 13, 14, 15. (i'm not counting singleplayer story games with beat em up mechanics)

So i'm simply judging on the looks of this one new version
and i dont know how to explain it but all of the other characters have something unique in terms of looks,
like cute, edgy, funny, scary, skin color, origin country, clothing etc
but Sarah is just ... some random blonde girl in a blue outfit.
All of the other characters represent something. A character trait,
a country, whatever
but Sarah seems super bland. Like shes just some guest character in there.

SarahDOA.jpg

virtua-fighter-5-ultimate-showdown-character-screenshot-sarah-1621935739818.jpg

The top is her DOA 5 model, the bottom is her Ultimate Showdown model. I don't know, I just think the DOA 5 model looks better. Yes, it's a bit more doll like in DOA 5 whereas I think they tried to go for realistic in VF5US, but I don't know...I just prefer the DOA 5 model in this one instance.

It's hard to say but I think VF5 US face looks a little more angular to me and just something about it doesn't entirely sit right with me...but oh well, not a big deal.

Oh yeah, the DOA one looks better to me too. I dont know,
the face just looks better 'designed'. Like ... it looks someone with a personality,
the sexy adult character trait.
The Ultimate Showdown model has nothing

The overall graphics engine also looks better on DOA 5(and 6) than VF5US, at least that's without actually having played VF5US yet. Character models also look better in DOA 5 and 6 overall than VF.

I don't think that's a very flattering shot of Sarah, the lighting under her eyes doesn't look right. Her render looks really good.

sar.jpg

ss3.jpg

The render picture does look better but i dont think she looks like that in the game at all.
In all of the preview video footage and live streams she looks like
in the screenshot that daniel posted and not like the render picture.

And to be honest, most of the characters do look different in game
than they look in the render pictures
but for whatever reason Sarah is the only real negative example,
the other characters just look different but not worse.
Sarah looks like some fan mod character from an older game. In my opinion.

But that's the thing, it is an in-game model and not a render we're comparing.

I mean I could show you this amazing render of Akira but it's certainly not his in-game model. I mean that's certainly not how he looks in Final Showdown in-game. Amazing render though.

Wall (77).jpg

(okay I just wanted the excuse to post my current background, but look at that render...amazing stuff.)

Even looking at that render of Sarah, I still like the DOA 5 model better. I don't know, just something about her face looks off to me. It's not a big deal, I just think Sarah is the one that sticks out to me the most. Everyone else came out mostly fine in the transition.

Virtua Fighter 4 Retrospective is up. Game still looks good even today. I spent so many hours on this game on the PS2...was my number one fighting game on the PS2.

I guess if Shenmue III had happened back when, it probably would have looked something like this, wouldn't it? Would have been totally based on the NAOMI 2 look.

The DOA models are stylized while both VF5 and VF5US try to achieve photorealism, if the classic version looks more stylized is because it is 16 years old renders and game models. It's like going from Yakuza 0 to 6, the more realistic look change a little bit the designs always.

Also, I like how Sarah looks now. Like, a lot.

So...how badly are we all gonna get beaten online when the good VF players appear? ;)

I will admit, I've never really played VF against actual people and I'm totally expecting to get my ass handed to me when this goes online this week...I've played a lot of VF against CPU, but CPU and real people are two different things.

Also, Shenmue Dojo tournament? ;)

Although that might be difficult given we all live in different countries and the netcode and all that.

Last edited:
Also, Shenmue Dojo tournament? ;)

Although that might be difficult given we all live in different countries and the netcode and all that.
This is something we're genuinely looking into. I can't promise anything due to the logistics but it's definitely in our thoughts.

Back