spud1897

Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
This thread is here to discuss all things virtua fighter.

What is your favourite game from the series?

Do you think we will get a VF6?

Would.you but a VF v Tekken cross over?

Feel free to add more :)

My favorite one is probably VF4 Evolution on PS2. I played that one a lot. I liked the arcade tournament mode, the customization, locations, the fact that the opponents used AI from real arcade players in Japan etc. After beating the last opponents I kept on playing and trying to improve. For some reason, VF5 wasn't as interesting to me. I played it a few weeks ago and thought about the fact that we hadn't heard anything about a possible VF6.

The lack of info/possibility of it not even coming at all for VF6 is really agonising and frustrating, yeah :( I've loved the series ever since VF2, and if there was ever a good time for the series to make a comeback, it would be now - the fighting game genre seems to have new life breathed into it ever since Street Fighter 4, with SF5 now, Tekken still going strong, Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive now both coming back for their sixth installments etc. It would probably need an actual story not just relegated to the manual/obscure pachinko games to draw people in however (and character endings!)

I'll agree with you about VF4 Evo, @ys. VF5's home version features did feel a little lacking compared to it.

The lack of info/possibility of it not even coming at all for VF6 is really agonising and frustrating, yeah :( I've loved the series ever since VF2, and if there was ever a good time for the series to make a comeback, it would be now - the fighting game genre seems to have new life breathed into it ever since Street Fighter 4, with SF5 now, Tekken still going strong, Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive now both coming back for their sixth installments etc. It would probably need an actual story not just relegated to the manual/obscure pachinko games to draw people in however (and character endings!)

I'll agree with you about VF4 Evo, @ys. VF5's home version features did feel a little lacking compared to it.

VF5 final showdown seemed to fix a lot of the missed features but they slowed down Wolf who was my favourite character to use lol.

It's an ideal opportunity for a vf6, they could easily do a story for it I'm sure and as long as it stuck to the core elements of what a VF game is I'm sure it would do well.

I'm sure the next thing we can campaign for Yu to do is revisit Virtua Fighter. A good majority of the series holds up and is still a lot of fun. I love the counter system in Virtua Fighter 3. As for a 6, we can ask Yu haha. But I would still love to see a Fighters Megamix 2 someday

My favorite one is probably VF4 Evolution on PS2. I played that one a lot. I liked the arcade tournament mode, the customization, locations, the fact that the opponents used AI from real arcade players in Japan etc. After beating the last opponents I kept on playing and trying to improve. For some reason, VF5 wasn't as interesting to me. I played it a few weeks ago and thought about the fact that we hadn't heard anything about a possible VF6.

I would agree about Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, it's probably the only Virtua Fighter game that I got really addicted to.
I still have a replay save somewhere on my PS2 memory card from back in the day titled "Sam you genius!" from a miracle comeback fight I won (sad I know...)

I was so addicted to that game, like you mentioned the customization was great and I think the difficulty curve was just about perfect. For some reason VF5 never clicked with me neither.

Reactions: ys.
@SaM_4000 Or maybe it was genius which would make the title well deserved? ;) Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution also had a great sense of progression that somehow felt a bit better to me than in 5. Something that I would like to see return by the way are the different heights and uneven surfaces from VF3tb. Just for a few arenas at least.

@SaM_4000 Or maybe it was genius which would make the title well deserved? ;) Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution also had a great sense of progression that somehow felt a bit better to me than in 5. Something that I would like to see return by the way are the different heights and uneven surfaces from VF3tb. Just for a few arenas at least.
Yes! I loved how ambitious in design VF3 was in general, including the stages. It's a pity that it seems like Sega would rather forget about it (well, and all the rest of their Model 3 games to be honest...how come we got all those Model 2 ports in 2012-ish but never any Model 3 stuff?)

Didn't even touch this episode but I'm choosing VF5R just because of this stage ?:

But frankly, I couldn't tell which game is my fav. Virtua Fighter is one of the few game franchises that succeeded to maintain top-notch quality since the first installment. VF3 and VF4 were brilliant, and I absolutely loved the arcade machine-themed Quest Mode from VF5. ?

Still playing VF5FS on PC emulator sometimes.

Didn't even touch this episode but I'm choosing VF5R just because of this stage ?:

But frankly, I couldn't tell which game is my fav. Virtua Fighter is one of the few game franchises that succeeded to maintain top-notch quality since the first installment. VF3 and VF4 were brilliant, and I absolutely loved the arcade machine-themed Quest Mode from VF5. ?

Still playing VF5FS on PC emulator sometimes.
Yeah its a shame the R stages weren't available in the ports of Final Showdown, as the snowstorm is a lot more impressive than the more subdued version of Wolf's stage in FS :hmm:

I think that VF is my favourite fighting series (even when I love SF, 90s SNK, Soul Calibur and DOA)

So even when I knew 1 and 2 it was late 96/early 97 when they displayed a Megalo 2 with VF3 in a mall in my town, and mi mind explode. The high ground fighting, the environments, the characters, the water splashing on Jeffreys stage. It was the port to the Dreamcast what made me buy the console, even when it was a not so god port.

I also bought VF5 for the 360 2 years before buying the console.

But I have to agree with most of you, probably the best one is VF4 Evo, and also VF2. VF4 is somehow an enhanced VF2 ignoring things from VF3, but is great.

What is your favorite game from the series? - After recently revisiting the franchise Virtua Fighter 5 is, but 2 was back in it's day. Would like to revisit 3 and 4.

Do you think we will get a VF6? - I do think this is possible, and probable.

Would.you buy a VF v Tekken cross over? - Absolutely. I think they would blend well, and it would be nice to get a crossover fighting game that doesn't suck.

I will forever love Virtua Fighter 2

Virtua Fighter 4 and 5 have far exceeded it in terms of the fighting engine...but there's something about VF2 that I just love to death. It's easily in my Top 10 of all time. Of the original trilogy, it's still my favorite hands down.

Between 4 and 5? I'd go with VF5 because I think VF5 is a little better than VF4.

Do I think we will get a VF6? I'm still holding out hope. I'm holding out hope that this new release of VF5 that is coming out soon will revive some interest in the franchise and maybe it will force SEGA to finally pull the trigger on VF6.

As for VFxTekken? I would take VF characters in Tekken as DLC but I don't know if I want the full on VFxTekken experience. Just because both games do things a little bit differently and I don't know how they would deal with those differences in a cross over versus game. But if they ever put a VF character in as a DLC character, I'd be all over it.

I don't know...it's the same reason I think something like Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter would never work. We're talking about a 4 button fighting game vs. 3 button fighting game in regards to Tekken and VF and I think there are just enough differences in gameplay style that it wouldn't work unless you overhauled it completely. Then you would maybe risk pissing off one or the other fanbase.

I think this is what stopped Tekken X Street Fighter from ever coming to fruition and why it got stuck in development hell. So no, I don't really want that cross over fighting game. I'd take guest characters as a test run but unless they could figure out the fighting engine to make it work, I don't think I'd want it.

I'd rather take a Fighters Megamix 2 (or even just Fighters Megamix HD)

Last edited:
I will forever love Virtua Fighter 2

Virtua Fighter 4 and 5 have far exceeded it in terms of the fighting engine...but there's something about VF2 that I just love to death. It's easily in my Top 10 of all time. Of the original trilogy, it's still my favorite hands down.

Between 4 and 5? I'd go with VF5 because I think VF5 is a little better than VF4.

Do I think we will get a VF6? I'm still holding out hope. I'm holding out hope that this new release of VF5 that is coming out soon will revive some interest in the franchise and maybe it will force SEGA to finally pull the trigger on VF6.

As for VFxTekken? I would take VF characters in Tekken as DLC but I don't know if I want the full on VFxTekken experience. Just because both games do things a little bit differently and I don't know how they would deal with those differences in a cross over versus game. But if they ever put a VF character in as a DLC character, I'd be all over it.

I don't know...it's the same reason I think something like Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter would never work. We're talking about a 4 button fighting game vs. 3 button fighting game in regards to Tekken and VF and I think there are just enough differences in gameplay style that it wouldn't work unless you overhauled it completely. Then you would maybe risk pissing off one or the other fanbase.

I think this is what stopped Tekken X Street Fighter from ever coming to fruition and why it got stuck in development hell. So no, I don't really want that cross over fighting game. I'd take guest characters as a test run but unless they could figure out the fighting engine to make it work, I don't think I'd want it.

I'd rather take a Fighters Megamix 2 (or even just Fighters Megamix HD)
I agree with VF 2 being the best of the 90s era VF games, for sure.

While I'd be open to a VF x Tekken game it almost seems like it would be better if they did guest characters in each others games, pending a Tekken 8 or Virtua Fighter 6 release, of course. Adding the VF characters to Dead or Alive 5 was a good move and it blended fairly well, although they do play slightly different they did keep a lot of their base moves. Guest characters take off the pressure to do a true crossover and just give a little more nod to the host games style, so if they exchanged rosters that would be cool, they could even write in plot and rivalries that support the host game over the guest roster.

Street Fighter x Tekken did come to fruition and it's mostly trash because it plays like a Street Fighter game with the jittery framerate play/pause/play/pause combo issue that has always held SF back from being a good fighting title. Am I misunderstanding in that there was going to be a different title of Tekken/SF crossover that was more Tekken and 3D based rather than the one that did release in 2012?? Even though I'd rather see SF characters come to Tekken, rather than Tekken characters in an SF universe with its broken gameplay, I'd rather not see SF crossover with anything. Having Akuma in Tekken 7 was bad enough. As for Mortal Kombat crossing over in theory I'd like to see it cross with Virtua Fighter, Tekken or DOA but I honestly don't think it would work due to the majorly different approach those games have in the fighting mechanics, graphics and character designs. I think MK could cross over with Killer Instinct better as long as MK is the base of the game and not KI, but most of the KI characters are corny and would hold back the quality of the game. But hey, it can't be any worse than MK vs DC can it?

That is tough question VF3 was the first Virtua Fighter I played and it will always have a special place in my heart. It played differently then fighting games I knew until then like Tekken and Toshiden. I really liked the more stategic aproach of VF3.

After VF 3 it took my 20 years to try out VF Remix and VF 2 on the Saturn and these games have their qualities as well. the same goes for VF 4. From all the Virtua Figher games I have played VF 4 the least amount of time. I just got for my ps3 a few month ago and I really like it. The graphic engine is impressive. I also like the enviromental graphics with the snow effects.

The only VF game I cannot say anything aboutis VF 5. Never played it so far. But as soon as the port of VF5 for current gen consoles exist I wil play it. If the port is not a thing I am going to puchase the PS3 version.

In general Virtua Figher is a great series that managed to maintain the quality over many decades. That is quite unique. Other series like Tekken had a promising start on the Ps1. 1 and 2 very pretty good and 3 was a masterpiece. But after Tekken Tag Tournament they lost focus and the further instalments lacked the quality of the last games. But that is just my personal opinion. I lost interest in the Series after Tekken Tag Tournament which was Tekken I bought.

That is tough question VF3 was the first Virtua Fighter I played and it will always have a special place in my heart. It played differently then fighting games I knew until then like Tekken and Toshiden. I really liked the more stategic aproach of VF3.

After VF 3 it took my 20 years to try out VF Remix and VF 2 on the Saturn and these games have their qualities as well. the same goes for VF 4. From all the Virtua Figher games I have played VF 4 the least amount of time. I just got for my ps3 a few month ago and I really like it. The graphic engine is impressive. I also like the enviromental graphics with the snow effects.

The only VF game I cannot say anything aboutis VF 5. Never played it so far. But as soon as the port of VF5 for current gen consoles exist I wil play it. If the port is not a thing I am going to puchase the PS3 version.

In general Virtua Figher is a great series that managed to maintain the quality over many decades. That is quite unique. Other series like Tekken had a promising start on the Ps1. 1 and 2 very pretty good and 3 was a masterpiece. But after Tekken Tag Tournament they lost focus and the further instalments lacked the quality of the last games. But that is just my personal opinion. I lost interest in the Series after Tekken Tag Tournament which was Tekken I bought.
Virtua Fighter 4 is available on PS3? Is it a digital PS2 port or an actual remake do you know??

I agree on Tekken, it was at its strongest through Tag 1 with 4 being the weakest. I did enjoy 5 as much as the 90s entries too, and while 6, 7 and Tag 2 have their place, they're not as impactful as the 90s titles were.

It is just a ps2 port. Not the arcade version unfortunately .It is still a good game though although I would prefer having the arcarde version.

It is just a ps2 port. Not the arcade version unfortunately .It is still a good game though although I would prefer having the arcarde version.
Thank You for the info. I currently do not have a PS3 so I cannot check for myself but do you know off the top of your head how much the digital PS2 port is in the PS3 store? Is it 4 regular or 4 Evolution? Since Sony took down the PS3 store on laptop web browsers I haven't been able to find any details on this.

Street Fighter x Tekken did come to fruition and it's mostly trash because it plays like a Street Fighter game with the jittery framerate play/pause/play/pause combo issue that has always held SF back from being a good fighting title. Am I misunderstanding in that there was going to be a different title of Tekken/SF crossover that was more Tekken and 3D based rather than the one that did release in 2012??

There were supposed to be two different cross over games.

Street Fighter X Tekken was the Street Fighter styled cross over while Tekken X Street Fighter was going to be the Tekken styled cross over. As in plays like Tekken but features the Tekken roster and Street Fighter roster.

I believe there are elements of that game still in Tekken 7 as is. I still think that's why they introduced the concepts of rage arts/rage drive into Tekken 7 not to mention Akuma and the other 2D characters.

But yeah, Tekken X Street Fighter entered development hell and still hasn't come to fruition. I think at this point it's probably dead as dead can be though.

At this point, I'd rather Namco just gave us Tekken Tag Tournament 3 instead.

Back