General Virtua Fighter Talk

There were supposed to be two different cross over games.

Street Fighter X Tekken was the Street Fighter styled cross over while Tekken X Street Fighter was going to be the Tekken styled cross over. As in plays like Tekken but features the Tekken roster and Street Fighter roster.

I believe there are elements of that game still in Tekken 7 as is. I still think that's why they introduced the concepts of rage arts/rage drive into Tekken 7 not to mention Akuma and the other 2D characters.

But yeah, Tekken X Street Fighter entered development hell and still hasn't come to fruition. I think at this point it's probably dead as dead can be though.

At this point, I'd rather Namco just gave us Tekken Tag Tournament 3 instead.
That would've been better than SF X Tekken but regardless I'm hoping it doesn't see the light of day. I don't like when good franchises mix with lesser ones and cheapen their own product, which is how I'd feel crossing SF with anything outside of other stuttering gameplay style fighting titles, basically the other Capcom or SNK fighters like Darkstalkers or Fatal Fury. Tekken Tag 3 is way overdue and I'd welcome it with open arms if its more like Tag 1 than Tag 2. I enjoyed Tag 2 to some degree, but the goofy costumes and levels took it way down for me. Tag 3 with a full Tekken roster and maybe 5 guest characters each from both Virtua Fighter and D.O.A would quench the appetite more than another crossover title 👍

I can confirm it is VF4 Evolution! I bought it last month during the who PS3 Store crisis, looks pretty good and can be put into the 60 HZ Mode.
Thanks!! Do you recall how much the price was?? Are you aware if there are any other older DOA, Tekken or VF digital titles in the PS3 store by chance?

It's £7.99 here in the UK, I bought it along with Persona 3 FES, Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, God Hand.

If you're interested in Tekken there is Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection - That has an additional Online DLC (But if I recall if does have more content than just the online mode).
1620743335861.png

As for DoA, I think there only title there is is DoA5 - I recently bought DoA Ultimate on original Xbox as that is backwards compatible on 360 and both DoA 1 & 2 look and play great!
1620743306761.png

Dead or Alive Ulimate is nice game I want to play it again. Unfortuantely it s not running on the One S and I do not have my 360 with me. But as soon as I have it again I might get another copy. Also need to play DOA 3. never played it back then although I had original Xbox. I just got Ultimate. But 3 looks interesting as well. it should be must have for me as a DOA fan.

Dead or Alive Ulimate is nice game I want to play it again. Unfortuantely it s not running on the One S and I do not have my 360 with me. But as soon as I have it again I might get another copy. Also need to play DOA 3. never played it back then although I had original Xbox. I just got Ultimate. But 3 looks interesting as well. it should be must have for me as a DOA fan.
Have you played DOA 5 Last Round on Xbox One?? Its the best DOA game. The core game is free and you can get the complete DLC for like $15 on Amazon. It has tag mode and Virtua Fighter guest characters(King of Fighters too) and is the most rounded of all the titles between entertainment value, controls, graphics and roster. DOA 6 would be second which is also free on XB1 for the core edition. 1 through 4 are still decent titles but they show their age of course with the graphics, limiting gameplay and smaller rosters.

Yes I bought DOA 5 and DOA 6 for my Ps4. I think both games are very good but I am not fan of the new charcter Design. Especially the design is of 6 is hard to getting used too. But gameplay wise 5 and 6 are nice. The destroyable clothes in DOa 6 is nice little feature too. Add nothing to the gameplay but it is fun to watch.

On the topic of DOA, does anyone remember Kasumi's long lost cousin from Bloody Roar?

Can't see that I can remember but have never played a single entry in the Bloody Roar series. The Character is indeed a Kasumi look a like. Would you recommend the Bloody Roar Series @otbr87 ? Which game would be the best starting point to get used to the franchise.

Can't see that I can remember but have never played a single entry in the Bloody Roar series. The Character is indeed a Kasumi look a like. Would you recommend the Bloody Roar Series @otbr87 ? Which game would be the best starting point to get used to the franchise.
Many people haven't but fighting game fans pointed this out with Kasumi when BR4 released. I cannot recommend Bloody Roar at this point in time as the most recent one(4) is from the PS2 era so its really dated and like most older games hasn't aged well. If you don't mind playing games from that era then I'd start with 4, although 1 was the best in its time going back to PS1 controls and graphics may be difficult to enjoy it. The unique concept BR had going for it was the DOA/Tekken-like characters would morph into animals as a primal rage type of concept. I'd welcome the series if they ever made a new one, but nearly 20 years have gone by so I dont see that happening.

Thanks for the info @otbr87 . I do not mind playing games from that era. I am acutally a fan of this early polygonal graphics from the Saturn/ps2 , Dreamcast/ps2 era. Have seen some screenshots and the first Bloody Roar Looks good enough for to enjoy. The PS2 entry also does not look bad. If the Gameplay is fun with the Morphing feature I could have a great time with these games.

I am really hardcore Retro fan. Sometimes I prefer the ps1/Saturn graphics over the more modern stuff. The games back then looked unique. Today everything Looks the same. it is so boring.

So the Argument it does not age well won't turn me of from a game.:sneaky:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info @otbr87 . I do not mind playing games from that era. I am acutally a fan of this early polygonal graphics from the Saturn/ps2 , Dreamcast/ps2 era. Have seen some screenshots and the first Bloody Roar Looks good enough for to enjoy. The PS2 entry also does not look bad. If the Gameplay is fun with the Morphing feature I could have a great time with these games.

I am really hardcore Retro fan. Sometimes I prefer the ps1/Saturn graphics over the more modern stuff. The games back then looked unique. Today everything Looks the same. it is so boring.

Very cool! Well, in that case I'd say that all 4 of them on PS1/PS2 are worth your time, and the GameCube one is decent too providing you don't loathe the GameCube controller like I do. Even with that, I was able to enjoy it but it wasn't as easy to play as the PlayStation ones were, at least for me. I wouldn't put BR on par with MK, VF, DOA, Tekken or SoulCalibur but if you're a retro fan and like fighting games it's a worthwhile franchise to explore. Actually, talking about it here with you now makes me want to revisit it as I've been on somewhat of a fighting game nostalgia these last few weeks. Bloody Roar is missing out on the opportunity to make an incredible comeback on the current gen with their unique game premise. I feel much of the same with Killer Instinct, which was gold back on the SNES but never lived up to the original with any of it's sequels, particularly the Xbox One KI game with the Street Fighter-like stuttering play/pause combat style that I felt made the game unplayable. Out of all the fighting franchises that haven't released a title during the PS4/XB1 generation Virtua Fighter is by far what I'd like to see a reboot on as well as Bloody Roar and Killer Instinct. I know KI did XB1, but the game having the KI name on it doesn't feel right and another reboot would do it justice.

Ok, so I revisited all of the Bloody Roar games last night and it's amazing what can change after a few decades. If you're genuinely interested in the franchise and you have free access or are able to get them for very little cost I would recommend checking out 3, 4 and Primal Fury skipping 1 and 2 on the PS1 unless you're really curious. If you're paying any kind of money over a few dollars for them the only one I'd recommend is the last one Bloody Roar 4 for PS2. 4 is the only one that has fluid controls, the biggest roster and best graphics. Primal Fury is ok but still has the older control setup. 3 is mostly skippable but if it doesn't cost anything is worth giving a look. 1 and 2 have aged very poorly regardless of enjoying retro games or not. I still enjoy Virtua Fighter 1 and Tekken 1 regardless of age, graphics and controls but I cannot say the same for the first two Bloody Roar games. Keep in mind, BR was never great like Tekken or VF to begin with.

Do you have any fighting games or franchises you'd recommend?? 2005 or newer era would be preferred, but 90s and early 00s is ok too. Thanks.

@otbr87 Thanks for your detailed answers. Then I will check out the ps2 enties of Bloody Roar only. The ps1 versions are quite expensive unfortunately. I would have bought them for a small price but not for the price point that is asked for at the moment. I will just wait until I find the ps2 versions at good price.

And yeah besides Virtua Fighter, DOA and Tekken I would also recommend the Soul Blade/Soul Calibur games.

Soul Blade looks decent for PS1 game and still plays great. Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast is a master piece. Soul Calibur 2 is also quite good. I really enjoyed the Gamecube Version. Buf if you have acess the Xbox I would recommend the Xbox version because the Xbox classic version has 720p resolution.

Another nice ps1 era weapons fighter would be Toshinden 1 and 2. They are still fun but hard to play by todays standards no match for Soul Blade Games from Namco.

Star Gladiator from Capcom is another nice Ps1 fighter with weapons. There is also a entry of that series for the Dreamcast called Plasma Sword. Never have played that entry in the series though. But it is supposed to be decent as well.

Rivals Schools for the Dreamcast is also great. There is also a Rival School Game for the Ps1 that has a good reputation. Never have played yet.

@otbr87 Thanks for your detailed answers. Then I will check out the ps2 enties of Bloody Roar only. The ps1 versions are quite expensive unfortunately. I would have bought them for a small price but not for the price point that is asked for at the moment. I will just wait until I find the ps2 versions at good price.

And yeah besides Virtua Fighter, DOA and Tekken I would also recommend the Soul Blade/Soul Calibur games.

Soul Blade looks decent for PS1 game and still plays great. Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast is a master piece. Soul Calibur 2 is also quite good. I really enjoyed the Gamecube Version. Buf if you have acess the Xbox I would recommend the Xbox version because the Xbox classic version has 720p resolution.

Another nice ps1 era weapons fighter would be Toshinden 1 and 2. They are still fun but hard to play by todays standards no match for Soul Blade Games from Namco.

Star Gladiator from Capcom is another nice Ps1 fighter with weapons. There is also a entry of that series for the Dreamcast called Plasma Sword. Never have played that entry in the series though. But it is supposed to be decent as well.

Rivals Schools for the Dreamcast is also great. There is also a Rival School Game for the Ps1 that has a good reputation. Never have played yet.
Thanks for the recommendations! I've actually played all of these except Star Gladiator.

You are welcome. I would recommend to try out Star Gladiator. It is funny game with good graphics. The characters were inspired a lot by Star Wars though which is a funny Thing at least according to my my taste.

I forgot the Mention Kensei Sacred Fist in my last post. It is not worth recommendation but not it is also not a total let down.

Kensei is Tekken like Game for the PS1. Not bad but there are way better fighters on the PS1.

You are welcome. I would recommend to try out Star Gladiator. It is funny game with good graphics. The characters were inspired a lot by Star Wars though which is a funny Thing at least according to my my taste.

I forgot the Mention Kensei Sacred Fist in my last post. It is not worth recommendation but not it is also not a total let down.

Kensei is Tekken like Game for the PS1. Not bad but there are way better fighters on the PS1.
Star Gladiator/Plasma Sword looks ok but not really grabbing me at the moment, though I may check it out at a later time. Please let me know what you think of the Bloody Roar games if you ever end up having a chance to play them. Again, they're not amazing but they're not broken either, it's worth the time if you're a fighting game fan, at least the more recent ones are.

Have you played Tao Feng Fist of Lotus for original Xbox? It was made by John Tobias of Mortal Kombat fame. It's also a decent fighting title with some issues admittedly. It's usually one you can find for around $5 USD.

Kensei Sacred Fist looks fairly good for a game of it's time, I will be checking it out. Do you know if there's a sequel for any console at least PS2 era or newer? I have a hard time going back to PS1 games unless it's something I grew up with, even then I have a hard time with getting into that era for some reason. I know its a graphics, mechanics and controls issue, but it is what it is. If not, I'm still going to give this a try on PS1.

Back