General Virtua Fighter Talk

Bit bummed it's PS4 only. Would have liked it to come to Steam. The fact that they're branding it with Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios is interesting...

Then again, I suppose if you're trying to capitalize on the recent Yakuza success then maybe putting Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios branding on it might help.

Few thoughts...I think the new hud kind of looks a bit too plain....I actually much prefer the hud of Final Showdown.

I mean I will play the hell when it comes out no matter what. This will take the place of Tekken 7 for a while, I forsee. Depending on if the online thrives. But yeah, a bit of a shame it's PS4 only and no Steam or Xbox.

Still, I kind of like the new models though.

It would make sense for this to be a PS Plus game. Final Showdown was a PlayStation Plus game when it launched so I could see them making this a PS Plus release. Be a good way to entice people to give it a try by making it free for next month.

Would be nice if they went the full mile with single player stuff as well. My wish list would be for a Virtua Fighter history (as in maybe pack in VF, VF2 and VF3 like Tekken 5 did with Tekken, Tekken 2 and Tekken 3 back on the PS2)...give me some good customization options and pack in the single player campaign and that would be a nice complete package for me. But that's wish list stuff.

Last edited:
View attachment 11510
Ryu Ga Gotoku logo? Didn'tknow they had involvement within the making of VF5.

They're involved with this project. Although, correct me if I'm wrong, did any of AM2 migrate to Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios? I mean it's not like AM2 does much of anything anymore. I know they still exsist within SEGA, but they're not the powerhouse they once were. I always assumed some of the AM2 staff either left or had to have migrated to RGG Studios.

Nice to see the AM2 logo still on there though. But it does make me wonder, Kiryu DLC down the road then? ;) It would be kind of cool if they gave us Kiryu and/or Majima DLC down the road.

Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown details
-PS4 exclusive
-updated visuals
-using Dragon Engine
-developed by devs from SEGA AM2 and RGG Studio
-new soundtrack for every stage
-new UI
-new opening cinematic
-new online features (spectator mode, tournaments, lobby system & more)

Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown details
-PS4 exclusive
-updated visuals
-using Dragon Engine
-developed by devs from SEGA AM2 and RGG Studio
-new soundtrack for every stage
-new UI
-new opening cinematic
-new online features (spectator mode, tournaments, lobby system & more)
So they're using the Dragon Engine to rebuild the graphics while the fighting system appears to be the same as it has been. That's interesting...that's very interesting. Especially if they do wanna push forward with an eventual VF6 down the road. Maybe this does open the doors for something bigger.

That's my hope. That this opens the doors for Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios and AM2 to do more with it down the road.

Hopefully they get their online down, because that's really what is gonna make or break the game in terms of a player base. So hopefully they get their net code down and don't fuck that area up. I mean, hopefully they make their tournaments work better than Tekken 7...Tekken 7 is absolutely poor in that area. I'll be interested to see how this fares in terms of netcode, that's what will really make or break it I feel.

Bit bummed it's PS4 only. Would have liked it to come to Steam. The fact that they're branding it with Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios is interesting...

Then again, I suppose if you're trying to capitalize on the recent Yakuza success then maybe putting Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios branding on it might help.

Few thoughts...I think the new hud kind of looks a bit too plain....I actually much prefer the hud of Final Showdown.

I mean I will play the hell when it comes out no matter what. This will take the place of Tekken 7 for a while, I forsee. Depending on if the online thrives. But yeah, a bit of a shame it's PS4 only and no Steam or Xbox.

Still, I kind of like the new models though.

It would make sense for this to be a PS Plus game. Final Showdown was a PlayStation Plus game when it launched so I could see them making this a PS Plus release. Be a good way to entice people to give it a try by making it free for next month.

Would be nice if they went the full mile with single player stuff as well. My wish list would be for a Virtua Fighter history (as in maybe pack in VF, VF2 and VF3 like Tekken 5 did with Tekken, Tekken 2 and Tekken 3 back on the PS2)...give me some good customization options and pack in the single player campaign and that would be a nice complete package for me. But that's wish list stuff.
It's also the logo of Dragon Engine I think
Edit: Nevermind it's also developed by RGG Studio

virtua-fighter-5-ultimate-showdown-key-art-1-1621897286025_w9xm.2560.jpg

New models confirmed!

Akira looks de-aged - getting more Kiryu than Ryo vibes from this model

For comparison

hqdefault.jpg

Yakuza-Kiwami-2-Preview-1.jpg

Yeah kinda see the resembalance a little, but maybe that's the Dragon Engine? I can see the slight resemblance between Dragon Engine Akira and Dragon Engine Kiryu.

Especially the nose. Considering we now know it's using Dragon Engine technology for the graphics, I can see the similarities.

Wow this looks great, wasn’t expecting this much of an improvement graphics wise! Interesting they’ve got RGG working on it as well. Hopefully if this does well they’ll consider a VF6. And it’s out next week!! Really hyped and so glad the series is back ✊

I wonder if Yu Suzuki is involved in the development:unsure:
Unsure but he knew it was happening from my understanding.

Looks great. HUD looks a bit plain. Man give me some Kiryu and Ryo DLC now!

So they're using the Dragon Engine to rebuild the graphics while the fighting system appears to be the same as it has been. That's interesting...that's very interesting. Especially if they do wanna push forward with an eventual VF6 down the road. Maybe this does open the doors for something bigger.

That's my hope. That this opens the doors for Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios and AM2 to do more with it down the road.
Couldn't agree more tbh. Seems like a lot of work if they were only going to use it once!

The Dragon Engine is already so good for the type of games that RGG creates, so implementing VF's awesome fighting system is just madness.
From the Last Judgement reveal stream Q & A, we now know that Yakuza will be turn-based going forward, and the the action combat will be given to the Judgement IP. From the reveal footage, we also know the Last Judgement at least, will be sticking with it's current fighting system, so it feels like they will be releasing more VF in the future or this would be a waste of time/money? That, or they have another IP in mind that could take advantage of it? **Wink Wink**

At the same time, I guess it's also pretty nice to have anything all under the Dragon Engine as they know it inside out, and already have an insane turn around time on their projects.

Would be so funny if Nagoshi announces a RPG Virtua Fighter game :D

Either way, I've never really been a big fighting game guy, but the news is awesome, and I'll deffo try it out!

If it's well received and they do go with a full VF6, having AM2 take care of the gameplay leaving RGG free to tackle character stories, stages and the like, that could be an excellent way of utilizing both teams. You can see from the small snippets of stages that Jackie's stage looks straight out a Yakuza game now. The arena looks way better too.

Wow what a surprise announcement. I had a feeling something VF was coming at some point didn't expect it next week though! What a fantastic team up of both studios talents.

Looks solid. It's really too bad it isn't coming to Xbox or PC. Using the PS5 d-pad isn't going to be ideal, but not a dealbreaker on checking it out. Does anyone know a price?? I read some rumors today that it may be a free PS Plus game for June.

Looks solid. It's really too bad it isn't coming to Xbox or PC.
Yeah I gotta admit the PS4 exclusivity is a bit puzzling. The previous iterations of the game released on Xbox, anyway.
That said I'll certainly be copping - free or not - when it releases next week!

You can see from the small snippets of stages that Jackie's stage looks straight out a Yakuza game now.
And this is what I fear. Shenmue 4 - were it to be greenlit and backed by Sega - eventually becoming more Yakuza than Shenmue.

Back