General Virtua Fighter Talk

Yeah I gotta admit the PS4 exclusivity is a bit puzzling. The previous iterations of the game released on Xbox, anyway.
That said I'll certainly be copping - free or not - when it releases next week!

And this is what I fear. Shenmue 4 - were it to be greenlit and backed by Sega - eventually becoming more Yakuza than Shenmue.
I couldn't agree more with your concerns on Shenmue 4 being influenced by Tosh or the Yakuza studio, it would be a tragedy if they ever let them touch the Shenmue franchise. I'm personally a bit concerned on how the new VF game is going to turn out with having the Yakuza team involved, I hope they don't butcher the fighting mechanics by using the Yakuza ones. Akira doesn't look good visually in this teaser trailer either, but I'm open minded to what may come with this new VF release.

Will have to wait for a PC release before I buy it again, but I keep VF5 on a PS3 perpetually hooked up to my TV because of just how great that game is, so I can't wait to (eventually?) play this.

I think Nagoshi respects and reveres Suzuki enough to not do much except lend the Dragon Engine--let Suzuki do his thing.

Although I like the Unreal Shenmue engine--the more Shenmueness the merrier!

I think the look of the Dragon Engine is not that bad although Akira really looks like Kiryu in one shot. The resemblance is striking. But in general I feel that the new VF looks good. I have not played the original VF 5 though so i am rather lenient towards the new look because I have no experience with the old one.

But I would not be happy if the Dragon Engine would be used for Shenmue. The UE 4 Engine look grew on me and it locks jsut perfect. It does not disrespect the original Engine. The Dragon Engine would look way different and would not be able to recrate the old look.

Do not get me wrong. The Dragon Engine games are a looker espeically Judgment looks awesome but awesone in a different way. The Shenmue asthetics are a different animal.

It makes more sense for YsNet to stick with Unreal whatever happens. Building systems and shipping a game on an engine is crucial experience that's not easily replaced. Plus UE5 is going to have some cool tech that would seriously help a game like Shenmue that relies on dynamic lighting for its day/night cycle.

SEGA's state of the art mocap studio + technicians could be a big help though, if they're involved in the next game.

aki.jpg

One other thing, I hope we can turn hit sparks off. I always liked that VF was a clean looking game that didn’t rely on hit sparks. It made the animations look more impressive to me. That was the other thing I noticed in this trailer that was bothering me slightly. Hit sparks just look out of place in VF

It's the logical step to do to reach VF6 at some point, a non expensive project with a graphical update (VF5 has great visuals but they are 16 years old) and if they are going for the eSports it will have season passes and cosmetic DLCs (Kiryu, Majima and Ryo costumes are a no brainer, they will milk both fanbases and we will be happy with that). So I am pretty happy with it, and pretty sure it will release on Steam and Xbox along the road.

Also this

It's the logical step to do to reach VF6 at some point, a non expensive project with a graphical update (VF5 has great visuals but they are 16 years old) and if they are going for the eSports it will have season passes and cosmetic DLCs (Kiryu, Majima and Ryo costumes are a no brainer, they will milk both fanbases and we will be happy with that). So I am pretty happy with it, and pretty sure it will release on Steam and Xbox along the road.

Also this

Could She be voice acting Xiuying for Shenmue 4 !?

Also this

I'm just happy we're getting more Virtua Fighter in general. I'll take anything at this point. And besides VF5 does hold up really well in the gameplay department so yeah, I'll gladly take another release of VF5.

But I agree, the fact that they're using the Dragon Engine to update the graphics is promising and perhaps paves the way where they can keep doing more at a decent budget. The Dragon Engine does look nice and why not use that tech they've built to power more franchises besides Yakuza and Judgment?

So my hope is something more comes of this.

It's a shame about no Roll Back netcode but what can you do? It's not like SEGA has been a powerhouse player in the online scene. Outside of Phantasy Star Online, what else have they had their hands in netcode wise really?

Does seem like they’re potentially planning another VF and testing the engine out with an old game. I buy that theory.

Back