General Virtua Fighter Talk

It was a little sad that Yu-san didn't show up in the stream....I thought he may have considering he was in the Astro City Mini stream but alas, maybe he was too busy tonight too attend or had other commitments? Hopefully his name shows up in the Arcade credits as an Executive Producer or something. I don't think he would have had much to do with this, but I would like to think he at least consulted or something. But then again, correct me if I'm wrong but VF5 wasn't actually Directed by Yu was it?

I seem to remember that he was credited for VF4 as a co-director but I don't think he actually directed VF5 from memory.

Still, would have been nice to see Yu-san show up to celebrate his baby, but what can you do?

Some interesting stuff.

-- Bit bummed there is no single player campaign. Looks like they're really going in hard on the Online/E-Sports stuff, but would have been nice to have the single player campaign of VF4 and VF5 return.

-- Character customization is back in! Although, I think it's gonna be all DLC. I think that's the catch. It will be free on Plus but I bet you any money the customization stuff will cost you.

-- Retro VF mode from VF4 Evolution returns!....as DLC...notice a pattern here? ;) Still, cool to see that make a return. I wish they had shown that in action on stream outside of the mere seconds they showed in the ad.

-- Games looks rather nice in action. Couple of frame drops thanks to the stream, but it actually does look really nice with the Dragon Engine powering it visually. It's amazing how well those animations hold up. SEGA really needs to make the Dragon Engine to SEGA what the RE Engine is to Capcom.

-- They made an actual arcade cabinet presumably for Japanese arcades...makes complete sense to do. Tekken 7 online was a popular cabinet everytime I went to Japan in the past 8 years...so if they want to relaunch in Arcades, going with an online enabled arcade cabinet makes sense. I don't think original VF5 cabinets were online outside of stat keeping.

-- Merchandise goodies! That Akira shirt is all sorts of awesome! I think I will put money down for that CD Soundtrack though. And maybe the mug as well.

I mean yeah, I wish they had shown the game off some more but that stream was entirely aimed at the Japanese audience and its not like we have long to wait until we get our hands on it for ourselves. Can't wait till next way!

It will take Tekken 7's place for me come next week :D

I just hope the online is solid enough to keep people around. Again, a bit of a bummer it's probably not gonna be roll back but so long as the netcode holds up...I mean people still play Tekken 7 with its delay based shit. I know Harada claims they've put Rollback in but no one buys that.
Harada just announced they're wrapping up Tekken 7 and it's time to move forward to the next project.

While Aoi might be the Aikido/jujitsu master, I hope if there is a Virtua Fighter VI we see a Chen-style Taijiquan master, a Xing Yi master, a Taekwondo master, or a Pa Gua master. Or they could give those styles to Aoi (Xing Yi and Pa Gua) since she represents nejiquan/internal martial arts quite well.

Also, I think Vanessa could represent Krav Maga since she is the representative of military-style martial arts.

While Aoi might be the Aikido/jujitsu master, I hope if there is a Virtua Fighter VI we see a Chen-style Taijiquan master, a Xing Yi master, a Taekwondo master, or a Pa Gua master. Or they could give those styles to Aoi (Xing Yi and Pa Gua) since she represents nejiquan/internal martial arts quite well.

Also, I think Vanessa could represent Krav Maga since she is the representative of military-style martial arts.
How do you feel a capoeria Brazilian style martial arts character would fit in with the physics of VF?

How do you feel a capoeira Brazilian-style martial arts character would fit in with the physics of VF?
I don't see why it wouldn't, more the merrier I say. If they do not want to create a new character, I would go with Vanessa or Brad Burns for those types of styles since it fits their purview.

Yeah, Akira doesn't even look as much like Kiryu as some are touting... the other random Yakuza family soldier there? Not even close :ROFLMAO:

iirc correct Suzuki was a laissez-faire consultant on original VF5 and now Ultimate...? Swore he confirmed involvement in the eSports hype a few months back

Can't wait for VF2 and VF3 videos. Thems muh favs

Interesting that they brought Lisle back, more than a decade after her last performance as Sarah, just to provide a voice-over for a simple retrospective made to advertise a graphical remaster of an already voiced game.

Unleeeeeeessss, there's more to this than meets the eye. Have they stated if voice lines are being rerecorded, too? Perhaps we'll get new dialogue entirely? Hopefully less cheesy than "RAGH I'M THE WINNER". Or perhaps even new (read: actual) endings!

Actually, that last one's just me being too hopeful, perhaps.

Last edited:
Seems like Sega are releasing a retrospective on the series which is awesome!

First part narrated by Sarah Bryant aka our Lisle Wilkerson! Name bombs Yu Suzuki in the opening sentence too :D Great stuff!

Some good shit right there! Can't wait for VF2 Retrospective :D

――Immediately after the announcement of "Virtua Fighter esports", I would like to hear about " Virtua Fighter 6 ".

Aoki I can't say anything because I haven't decided anything yet, but if I say whether I want to make it or not, I want to make it. Is there still demand or potential for the title "Virtua Fighter" when making a new work? I think that this work is a step to know that, so I would like to make it exciting enough to connect to the next.

――Immediately after the announcement of "Virtua Fighter esports", I would like to hear about " Virtua Fighter 6 ".

Aoki I can't say anything because I haven't decided anything yet, but if I say whether I want to make it or not, I want to make it. Is there still demand or potential for the title "Virtua Fighter" when making a new work? I think that this work is a step to know that, so I would like to make it exciting enough to connect to the next.
More translated info here

Hands on.

And...

He likes it!
Well, I'm pretty sure it's not even possible to dislike it once you actually play it.

Also something pointless that just sprang back to mind, but I think I'm with @danielmann861 in that I hope they nix the impact explosions in the next VF. VF is aesthetically really "clean" like he said, and the impact explosions take away from that strength imo just a smidge.

Someone asked Lise if she recorded new voice lines for the game, all she said was this:
(Bear in mind this tweet was right before they released the retrospective video, but it's still interesting to note.)

What's more exciting? She's doing a LIVE STREAM next Friday to celebrate the remaster! There's gonna be Q&A and shit. That's dope IMHO.

The VF community is also putting together a big tournament for the occasion, gonna be fun:

The Dev Team has shown interest in getting feedback, so, if you have the time, please give them that. Be sure to request FEEDBACK politely, please.

That's it for news tod-Oh, what's this? Part 2 of the Retrospective is up! With our community favorite, Eric Kelso, back as J Bryant himself! Hell yes.

Well, I'm pretty sure it's not even possible to dislike it once you actually play it.

Also something pointless that just sprang back to mind, but I think I'm with @danielmann861 in that I hope they nix the impact explosions in the next VF. VF is aesthetically really "clean" like he said, and the impact explosions take away from that strength imo just a smidge.
It'd be nice if there is at least an option to turn it off. Will wait and see when it drops this week. The hit sparks were jarring at first but after watching a few videos I think I've gotten used to it, but still, it would be at least nice if there was an option to turn it off and get the pure VF5 experience.

Back