Ghost of Tsushima.

I will definitely be picking this up on Friday. A long time ago when I envisioned wanting to create video games my initial idea was a samurai epic, heavily inspired by Kenshin Humura and the manga. This looks like a game in similar vein and I love the colours!

Beat the game today. I enjoyed my time with the title but it’s not without its faults.

I readily admit I wasn’t always in right head space to game but I do love the serene and poetic moments the game seems to capture at times. The moving environments and motion to everything really was beautiful.

I completed all the missions for side characters and vast majority of other quests but I felt burnt out by collection-a-thon by midway. By the 15 Fox Hole it had lost its lustre.

I may sound down on the game but I enjoyed a lot of what it has to offer. The music is excellent, combat can be fun, especially once your arsenal and moves get expanded and I thought ending packed a punch.

Beat the game today. I enjoyed my time with the title but it’s not without its faults.

I readily admit I wasn’t always in right head space to game but I do love the serene and poetic moments the game seems to capture at times. The moving environments and motion to everything really was beautiful.

I completed all the missions for side characters and vast majority of other quests but I felt burnt out by collection-a-thon by midway. By the 15 Fox Hole it had lost its lustre.

I may sound down on the game but I enjoyed a lot of what it has to offer. The music is excellent, combat can be fun, especially once your arsenal and moves get expanded and I thought ending packed a punch.

Oh dont worry, i think a lot of people know what you mean.
Its a problem that i have with almost all open world and / or very long games.
As soon as you see through the structure of the game, the game mechanics, the design,
it will get old or boring very very fast. And the main problem for me most of the time is
that you already saw pretty much all elements of a game after beating 30-40% of the game
which means you still have to play 60%+ (more than half of the game) without any new elements.
You already know every single mechanism, every tool, skill, whatever.
And then my mood changes from surprised and joyful to exhausted.
I dont like that ratio. No open world or extremely long game can keep me interested forever just because its long or big.

Oh dont worry, i think a lot of people know what you mean.
Its a problem that i have with almost all open world and / or very long games.
As soon as you see through the structure of the game, the game mechanics, the design,
it will get old or boring very very fast. And the main problem for me most of the time is
that you already saw pretty much all elements of a game after beating 30-40% of the game
which means you still have to play 60%+ (more than half of the game) without any new elements.
You already know every single mechanism, every tool, skill, whatever.
And then my mood changes from surprised and joyful to exhausted.
I dont like that ratio. No open world or extremely long game can keep me interested forever just because its long or big.
The good old collect feathers syndrome that started with Assassin Creed. The only ways I know to avoid it is to ignkre all secondary content when you get burned or just play small sessions per day (1hour or so).

Random thought on the "game". My parrot now does the jin whistle to call the horse...

If Ghost of Tsushima starts feeling boring or repetitive switch over to Days Gone or The Last of Us 2 for a few hours and you'll be running back to Ghost feeling gratitude.

I never liked The Last Of Us 1 because of the gameplay mechanics.
Its the same thing, you learn how to play the game in the first 3 hours and then thats it.
Its the most basic stealth survival third person gameplay you can imagine with pointless crafting features.
The gameplay doesnt evolve at all and you just keep playing (the remaining 15 hours or whatever) because of the story.

I dont like that style.
Thats not really a game, thats more like ignoring the gameplay flaws because you want to see the ending.
So i didnt even buy part 2. I didnt buy Days Gone.
Also i'm never interested in games likes Assassins Creed.

Yeah. I've started to kind of burn out, unfortunately, because I've started to focus on collecting things and hitting all the markers on the map. I really do resent that kind of quest design, and it's apparent this stuff takes away from making the main game more substantive.

I never liked The Last Of Us 1 because of the gameplay mechanics.
Its the same thing, you learn how to play the game in the first 3 hours and then thats it.
Its the most basic stealth survival third person gameplay you can imagine with pointless crafting features.
The gameplay doesnt evolve at all and you just keep playing (the remaining 15 hours or whatever) because of the story.

I dont like that style.
Thats not really a game, thats more like ignoring the gameplay flaws because you want to see the ending.
So i didnt even buy part 2. I didnt buy Days Gone.
Also i'm never interested in games likes Assassins Creed.

Sounds like most video games in general. Very few worth spending hours of precious life time with IMO. I enjoyed Last of Us 1 to some degree, would've been ok to just watch on YouTube as a 3-4 hour cutscene movie honestly. One thing I liked about TLOU1 was the lack of combat interaction with the zombies, not really into games where there's nothing but shooting endlessly, it was a refreshing change in the genre from titles like Resident Evil/Silent Hill. The Last of Us 2 has bad story and same gameplay mechanics as the original. Luckily, I only rented both Days Gone and Last of Us 2 only to use up my remaining GameFly membership for the month(horrible service, stay away at all costs). I played about 10 minutes of Assassins Creed 1 when it came out and felt it was a piss poor Splinter Cell clone with a different paint job. Tried the 3rd one for about 5 minutes to see if it improved. Recently sold a traded in copy of AC Odyssey and decided to try it before selling, played about 1-2 minutes and felt like I was playing some garbage game from 2001 with 2015 graphics.

It’s starting to get more difficult to finish the game. The boredom has set in. Combat is still fun, but I find myself using the fast travel option more and more, and I’ve only just unlocked the third location. Still a great game, but I think it may have blew its load too quickly. Or maybe I did.

It’s starting to get more difficult to finish the game. The boredom has set in. Combat is still fun, but I find myself using the fast travel option more and more, and I’ve only just unlocked the third location. Still a great game, but I think it may have blew its load too quickly. Or maybe I did.
I'm with you on that. Fast travel is my friend. The games still fun but becoming repetitive. Think I'm on the last mission

I finished the game. I have two side quests left and one haiku to find before I get my platinum.

I enjoyed the game but it’s not without its flaws. It does kind of run out of steam by the time you hit the third area. The snowy mountains were nice and all, but the “ohhh ain’t it pretty“ effect kind of did wear thin for me by the end of it.

I think for me the game does a great job recreating the Japanese vibe it’s going for but I couldn’t help but feel it needed a certain quirkiness that only Japanese games and developers seem to provide. For instance, there was one side quest where a woman tells you about her father being killed by Kappa. I kind of knew how that mission would end before I got there. The same way every mission ends in the game — with you fighting either bandits, ronin or mongol. But I couldn’t help but feel it was a missed opportunity given the setup. Not necessarily to have you fight Kappa but it could have been a chance to do something creative and it just felt slightly predictable to me to go with the obvious “fight more enemy” that every side quest ends with.

I don’t know, I just could help but feel the game needed more of that Japanese quirkiness. Make the side quests more memorable (or take a page out of the Yakuza handbook even) instead of just having the same side quest over and over masked with a different setup.

Also, give me other Japanese quirks. I mean haikus and bamboo cutting was fun but give me more diversity in side content.

Maybe it’s unfair of me to say this given the game has a somber tone throughout, but I always liked the way Japanese developers mix serious with quirky side content and I felt this game kind of needed more of that to break up the same old same old feel that it quickly shows.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the game quite a bit. I think the combat is entirely satisfying when it lands and I did enjoy exploring the land for at least 2/3’s of the game before the awe factor kind of wore thin. The story is also quite good too. I got invested in the story of Jin. But it still has a lot of the Ubisoft open world design principles that I find kind of boring. It’s very collectathon. I applaud the way it refreshes the navigation system by having everything in game instead of a cluttered UI, but the open world design is still the same fundamental Ubisoft design that I have grown entirely bored of over the years.

Still, with all that said, I did quite enjoy the game. I just wish it thought more out of the box in terms of open world design. It’s a shame considering the navigation system being as fresh as it is. I wish the game did more with the design instead of relying on the old Ubisoft formula. That to me is it’s one shortcoming. That it does end up a little too formulaic in design.

I third that sentiment gentlemen.
I was feeling burnt out towards the end but loved every minute anyway. Plus fast travel allowed me to see the end results. On top of that I was spending way too much time playing it everyday. Which rarely happens with me these days.
As someone said earlier, that in a couple of years GoT will still hold up and I totally agree. I look forward to replaying it again in a year or so.

For instance, there was one side quest where a woman tells you about her father being killed by Kappa. I kind of knew how that mission would end before I got there. The same way every mission ends in the game — with you fighting either bandits, ronin or mongol. But I couldn’t help but feel it was a missed opportunity given the setup. Not necessarily to have you fight Kappa but it could have been a chance to do something creative and it just felt slightly predictable to me to go with the obvious “fight more enemy” that every side quest ends with.

Great example and that’s why by the end even though I enjoyed clearing out bandit camps, thanks to satisfying combat and trying new ways and mechanics to kill the Mongols, the last few side missions felt very by the numbers.

When I triggered this side quest I honestly anticipated fighting a creature in swamps or something but it ends in the all too familiar fashion.

Unrelated but it’s been mentioned earlier in this thread, for such a large production the way animation, cutscene implementation (especially for side missions) felt surprisingly cheap. I know they touch on it in DF analysis but seeing feet clipping through stairs is kind of shocking, I mean this is something the original Shenmue had in 1998! And I don’t blame the game for this but coming off LOU part 2 and all the custom animation the game had, the walking/running and blending is a step back but practically every game is at this point so I can’t fault them too much.

Still I think they have a fantastic base and clearly lots of ways to build off it if they make a sequel.

Yeah, i mean i dont need real monsters in the game but there was potential for more surprises.
Like in the cursed forest with the fog where its just about bandits again.
It would be way cooler if for example the story teller wants to talk to Jin about the forest,
he offers Jin a drugged drink and then he tells him about monsters and suddenly vanishes.
And now a drugged Jin is standing in the middle of that forest, with that creepy story in his mind
and he cant tell what is real and whats not.
Like how Batman is being drugged by the Riddler in the Arkham games.

Or some mission like with the Kappa, let Jin follow a trail and then he sees something
weird, a none human looking thing, in the distance jumping down a waterfall and the trail
and mission just ends there and you have to come up with your own conclusion.

Recently sold a traded in copy of AC Odyssey and decided to try it before selling, played about 1-2 minutes and felt like I was playing some garbage game from 2001 with 2015 graphics.
Well that's kinda unfaire. You can't give it 1-2 minutes and judge the game because of it.

Or some mission like with the Kappa, let Jin follow a trail and then he sees something
weird, a none human looking thing, in the distance jumping down a waterfall and the trail
and mission just ends there and you have to come up with your own conclusion.

Which is how RGG/Yakuza does it ;)

Which is how RGG/Yakuza does it ;)

Thats the type of quirkiness I’m talking about ;)

That and the game could have used more fishing, or ramen cooking, or hanafuda or something on the side to break up the collectathon nature of it.

Actually, if you gave me the combat from Tsushima mixed with the world design of Yakuza Ishin, I think you would have had a perfect game in my books.

As much as I enjoyed my time with Tsushima (and I did — there are a ton of good things about it that outweigh the bad), I do kind of wish it had the RGG studios spirit to it on the side.

Last edited:
Well that's kinda unfaire. You can't give it 1-2 minutes and judge the game because of it.
If the first impression of a few minutes of gameplay is really bad and the previous titles were bad as well, why continue?

Sounds like a lot of people complaining about Ghost being boring, repetitive or not fantasy enough would like Sekiro or NiOh with the over the top characters, daunting difficulty settings and the fantasy elements mixed in. I'm glad they didn't ruin the game with making another predictable samurai title or something modern Japanese inspired that's trying to be trendy, edgy and cool but isn't(like Yakuza). Ghost does feel grindy at times, but so does Shenmue and that isn't a bad thing.

If the first impression of a few minutes of gameplay is really bad and the previous titles were bad as well, why continue?
Well first of all I dont know how much you can see in the first minutes. The "tutorial" fully complete it's like an hour of something. And about not liking the previous ones, AC I, II and III aren't like Odyssey at all (in fact, the most criticized stuff it's that "this isnt an AC anymore").

The comparisson it's ridiculous. You can say "this is a Prince of Persia with another skin", because that's actually kinda true, but a Splinter Cell? What, only because it has stealth?

Back