Ghost of Tsushima.

Where are getting your numbers from if I may ask? Did Sony said something about 9 hours? I have not read anything about the duration yet? In fact we know nothing about the Ikishima Campaign at all?

Thats why i said the word 'if' like ten times.
Its based on the size of the island, which is about half the size
of the southern Tsushima ingame region, or even a bit smaller than that.

So i think judging by that, its not very realistic to expect 15, 20 or more hours of content.
The island is a new story side path in chapter 2 of the base game,
not a standalone game. So we are probably talking about 2, 3, 4 main missions,
2 side missions, a new lighthouse, a new onsen ... stuff like that.
So if thats the case, then thats not worth 30 USD / € to me.

Thats a 19,99 upgrade at most.

The professional whiners, ahem, I mean critics are at it already. This dude calls the Directors Cut a 'game of the year edition' and glosses over the fact that it's offering a hefty amount of content for the price. It's no secret that Xbox usually has a better value system than PlayStation when it comes to upgrading not only console equipment costs but the Smart Delivery aspect. If PS5 owners were paying $30 to upgrade only the haptic feedback, 4K framerates and other performance related aspects only I'd agree that this is highway robbery as Xbox Smart Delivery just gives those upgrades to the Series X/S users on select titles. In reality this game is giving an entire new island, new story mode, more accessories for Jin, bonus footage and features as well as the performance enhancements and people are still complaining about this. Did we all forget they gave us the Legends multiplayer last fall for FREE! They could have easily charged $20-$30 for Legends but they didn't. Game creators need to be paid for their content when its fresh stuff that doesn't hide behind a paywall, look at old school PC expansion packs back in the 90s and early 00s, they were usually the same price as this. I paid $40 for Half Life Blue Shift in the late 90s and it was trash, but it was still something people had to work on to create, and time is money.
People buy a console Sony loses money on and still want upgraded features for free. In the end, the developers get (I hope anyway) more money out of this so I'm not complaining. The media seem to be out for Sony recently but in the end, people pay for what they think is worth it and Sony can't stop selling consoles and their exclusives too.

The Witcher 3 season pass was 24,99 and you received two story DLCs
with about 30 hours of gameplay.
And WHAT A GAMEPLAY. Best DLC ever.

Idk, call it Director's cut, but sounds like an expensive DLC for 30 bucks. Wont judge it till know the amount of hours, but yea, anything low than 25 hours seems like a smart scam imo.

But anyway, just fucking release it in PC you motherfuckers.

It is too early to say it is too expensive. We do not know the quality of the extra campaign. And we do not know how much the game was improved.If the improvements are various and the extra campaign is good it is a ok.

I really think most of the whiners are rather young and were born in the 90s or even later. They were not gamers in the old days that is for sure. If such people were around Capcom would have went bankrupt decdes ago. With their different street fighter 2 versions of all consoles known to man.

I also bough the classic Resident Evil 1 and the directors cut. Was more expensive then the Directors Cut of Ghost of Tsushima. I also bought Code Veronica twice. I have it once for the Dreamcast and once for the PS2 in the X Variant for the addentional Weskers Scenes. i also bought various add ones for the pc. Were also not very cheap. In most cases did not regret though. But people born in the 90s or later cannot understand that.

They want everything for free and do not get it that they are screwed. Nothing in life is for free. And with their freeloader attiude they encourage the gaming companies to go full cloud and abandom ownership for good. They not care ghat paying the companies every month for the honor to use their games is more expensive in the long run than to purchase a good once for higher price.
So many of the expansion packs and re-releases in the 90s and 00s were brutally overpriced for the value in their time. The Doom 3 expansion packs were also around $30-$40 USD in the early-mid 2000s and the content was severely lacking yet people still bought them and even though Doom 3 is trash, they still sold well enough because there was an effort put into the franchise. The games I always got confused on pricing and borderline felt like it was overpriced was anything sports related during a console gen. Take the 2K games for example: They only revamp the core gameplay about once every 5 or 6 years, so in theory a football, basketball, wrestling, soccer or hockey game from 2015 should still hold up through 2020. People could pay $20 USD to upgrade their roster every year to the current teams and that would be fair, but they still charge $60-$70 USD every year for the base versions of these games for one simple reason: the public will pay for it. These sports titles aren't really a good value for what they charge every year in my opinion, but some people are willing to spend their money for more of the same. With Ghost Directors Cut they're actually giving the gamers an entire new expansion pack which alone would have cost $30-$40 anytime between 1998 and 2005 for just that alone, so all of the other content like the PS5 enhancements are just gravy on top of the island expansion and new story mode. It's an absolute steal for anyone who hasn't purchased Ghost yet at $60-$70 depending on which platform you have.

The illogical statement of "its not fair that he only has to pay $60 for the Directors Cut in 2021 and I had to pay $60 for the original version in 2020, how dare they!" is totally immature and lacking market observations. The Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus 5G phone was selling on the 'used' market for $1,100 USD one year ago and it's now selling used for $500-$600 USD a year later, why? Because that's how retail works and most of the people you're referring to that want everything for free or don't feel that the flow of commerce makes sense so they like to complain about first world issues of video games or phones costing too much money. I deal with this all the time over the years with all the electronics I deal with in my business. People who paid $400 USD for a brand new iPhone 6 in 2014 feeling deeply offended when I offer them $20 USD in 2021 because the phone only retails used for $40-$50 USD in 2021 and that's not factoring in taxes and other costs of doing business. It's unrealistic expectations for things and a total lack of appreciation for what's being offered. Sucker Punch gave us the Legends online expansion feature totally free, and somehow they shouldn't charge $20-$30 for a complete expansion pack in 2021 when an expansion pack with 70% less content would have cost $30-$40 back in the late 90s when wages were much lower and the cost versus income ratio was way more uneven?

I appreciate that Xbox has done a much better job in offering Smart Delivery enhancements to the X/S titles much more than PlayStation has with the PS4 titles running on the PS5, yet I don't feel entitled in any way that they couldn't charge for those enhancements *if* they wanted to. I also appreciate that Xbox refuses to raise their prices to $70 USD for new titles at this time while Sony has not only allowed that to happen on their marketplace, but they're encouraging it. I don't mind an increase in game prices from a business standpoint because they haven't gone up in about 15-17 years, but I do mind the idea that somehow PlayStation still gets more acclaim due to marketing hype only over Xbox and their customers are willing to shell out an additional $10 USD on each title they will purchase on the PS5 versus the technically superior Xbox Series X. All of the enhancements I've experienced from Xbox One games running on my Xbox Series are something I am very grateful for, the same way I am grateful that Sucker Punch gave us Legends for free when they didn't have to. Whether or not the Iki Island expansion ends up being a good game or not isn't relevant from a business standpoint as opinions and tastes vary, but it's clear they're going to put an effort in and create something great with this expansion just like they did with the original, and that's worth the $30 alone.

And WHAT A GAMEPLAY. Best DLC ever.

Idk, call it Director's cut, but sounds like an expensive DLC for 30 bucks. Wont judge it till know the amount of hours, but yea, anything low than 25 hours seems like a smart scam imo.

But anyway, just fucking release it in PC you motherfuckers.
The thing is, if you only upgrade from base PS4 version to PS4 DC version
its just 19,99. So the new island is worth 19,99
because the PS4 DC version doesnt have the PS5 features.
So same price as the FF7R Yuffie DLC. Now put the the size of the island into this
and its pretty clear that this isnt going to be a 20 hour DLC.
Which means they are charging PS5 users 10 bucks
just because they changed the ingame screen resolution from 1440p to 4K dynamic
and added PS5 controller features.

Btw i think Tsushima has pretty good chances for a PC version somewhere in the future,
it would fit right in with the Days Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn games.

The thing is, if you only upgrade from base PS4 version to PS4 DC version
its just 19,99. So the new island is worth 19,99
because the PS4 DC version doesnt have the PS5 features.
So same price as the FF7R Yuffie DLC. Now put the the size of the island into this
and its pretty clear that this isnt going to be a 20 hour DLC.
Which means they are charging PS5 users 10 bucks
just because they changed the ingame screen resolution from 1440p to 4K dynamic
and added PS5 controller features.

Btw i think Tsushima has pretty good chances for a PC version somewhere in the future,
it would fit right in with the Days Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn games.
Well yeah that seems kinda scam, specially when xbox does that for free and I think even PS5 does that free most of the times, right? I can understand more money for the DLC, we can discuss the price, but 30 usd seems like a lot.

About the size of the new island, I get its short, but maybe the missions are in the other part of the map too. Not only in the island. So there are still chances to be a long DLC. I mean, I hope that lol. I want to play this on PC.

Yeah I think they will port it :D

Well yeah that seems kinda scam, specially when xbox does that for free and I think even PS5 does that free most of the times, right? I can understand more money for the DLC, we can discuss the price, but 30 usd seems like a lot.

About the size of the new island, I get its short, but maybe the missions are in the other part of the map too. Not only in the island. So there are still chances to be a long DLC. I mean, I hope that lol. I want to play this on PC.

Yeah I think they will port it :D

Yes, all of my PS4 to PS5 edition upgrades were free (except Judgment, it has no upgrade path at all)
and all of them have the same upgrade improvements (higher resolution, higher or more stable framerate etc).
You only have to pay for additional content, like DLC you didnt already own.
So for example Nioh 2 or FF7R base PS4 to PS5 upgrade doesnt cost you anything,
all the next gen improvements are for free. You only have to pay if you want the season pass / DLC
(but only if you dont already own it on PS4)

But for Tsushima they want 19,99 for the island DLC (okay, whatever)
+ 10
just because they added next gen improvements that all the other PS4 games
received for free. As far as its possible to tell at the moment,
they didnt even improve the texture quality or filtering, they didnt improve
the LOD in the distance for grass for example etc.
It seems like all they did was changing the ingame screen resolution from 1440p to dynamic 4K,
they added adaptive trigger features for the bow
and the PS5 version has japanese lip sync.

But not because they made a new lip sync by hand,
its because the PS5 is able to render every cutscene in realtime,
so the AI is able to animate the japanese lip sync in every scene in realtime.
Its not possible on PS4 because the PS4 is not able render every cutscene in realtime
which means they would need to re render the scenes for japanese lip sync and that makes no sense now.
So they didnt create this for the PS5 version, they couldnt get it to work on PS4.

And for that they want 10 USD / € ... come on.

Some people bought Grand Theft Auto 5 on PS3 and are still upset that they didn't get the PS4 version free and that they're going to be charging full price again for the PS5 version. This is a normal business practice during the 360/PS3 and OG Xbox/PS2 eras until now where Xbox started the trend of upgrading to Series X/S versions for free, now it seems Sony is doing that as well with select titles for PS5 and people are still worried about paying a studio for their work. It's awesome that select companies have offered free upgrades, including Sucker Punch with the Legends multiplayer expansion which is worth $60 alone, and its sad to see people not appreciating the work some developers put into their titles and that many people don't want to pay for this effort. Yet there were a ton of people happy to pay for CyberPunk 2077 when it released intentionally in a completely broken state and still tried to justify it as being acceptable.

A lot of the times it's also about perception. As you mention @otbr87 ,they released a great multiplayer expansion no one even asked for at no cost. If they were going to release that this year with the same upgrades yet to be released etc., no one would batter an eyelid at the cost. Part of it is people nowadays expecting everything for free (complaining about YouTube adverts for example and paying for online multiplayer).

In general, I think it's clear that Sony are trying to recoup as much cost as they can this generation. Console is being sold at a lost so they've upped the price of their games, controllers, put upgrades behind a pay wall and more.

Looking at how successful scalpers have been, Sony could have probably afforded upping their prices by £50 or more and the demand would probably not drop an inch.

I digress..

It's amazing how much negativity goes into the prices of electronic items to be honest. I deal with multiple outlets of electronic sales in my business over the years and I see it all the time. Whats mostly shocking is peoples perception of value and how that often ties to unwarranted entitlement, and equal amazement with the things they let slide that they shouldn't. The 1990s and 2000s video game consoles, phones, laptops and electronics in general? All junk. Yeah, sure for their time they were all innovative and cutting edge, but what I'm saying is how can people complain here in the 2020's, when wages are higher than ever, about a console costing $300-$500 USD brand new(or even paying resellers more if they're impatient), a premium phone costing $700-$1,200 USD or a solid laptop costing $500-$600 USD here in 2021 is more than fair when in 1998 a Pentium 2 junk desktop running Windows 98 was about $2,800 USD and that was for a 'cheap' decent computer at that time. The technology is undeniably evolved and well worth the cost, even with companies that make overhyped products with countless mechanical issues like the iPhone, it's still amazing what a $20 USD smartphone from Walmart can do or just buy from a better brand like LG and you'll get a better value at a better price without the market hype. Artists need to profit on their work, and businesses that put out good products need to profit as well. I could see the complaints against games like CyberPunk 2077 that were released in unacceptable broken state, or perhaps a faulty model console like the Xbox 360 launch model when it had the red ring of death issues on day one, but in most cases were beyond those type of issues.

I fully agree that Sony with all of their overhyping of the PlayStation would have no issue selling the PS5 for more than what it's retailing at, I say this because I see the numbers both in my business with the PS5 selling for more than retail, and from the reports online of others sales. The series X and S are also selling over retail too, even without the hype machine that Sony has behind their product. It's a supply and demand market and I'm grateful that Sony and Microsoft don't jack the prices up on the consoles to offset the inflation of the economy since 20 years ago.

Original Xbox Launch Price in 2001: $300 USD ($5.15 minimum wage)
Xbox 360 Launch Price in 2005: $300 USD ($5.15 minimum wage)
Xbox One Launch Price in 2013: $500 USD ($7.25 minimum wage)
Xbox Series S Launch Price in 2020: $300 USD ($12.00 minimum wage)

The best console of the bunch is the cheapest during the strongest economic dollar period, it's the same for PlayStation too.

Last edited:
I just saw the trailer. The Japanese lip sync sealed it for me.
It still bothers me that a game of that budget couldn't get the lip sync right the first time. I really wanted to play in Japanese but the lip sync bothered the fuck out of me so I put it to English and never bothered.

I think this time if I do the upgrade I might actually play through in Japanese just because they finally fixed it.

As for the upgrade costs, yeah that kind of sucks, but I'm kind of keen to check out this new island. Plus I really liked the game and have an itch to play through it again so it makes sense to upgrade.

I kind of wish they had just made the PS5 version a free upgrade for all and just charged an extra 20$ for the new DLC. Kind of like what Final Fantasy VII remake did with its PS5 version. But hey, Sony likes to be a bit greedy this gen, it seems.

I've stopped playing GOT a long time ago but if I get a PS5 this year, I can see myself buying it. So few genuine PS5 games out there that people are demanding 4k/60fps performance hikes just to play the damn thing.
I spend most of my time playing my Xbox Series since I prefer Xbox in almost every capacity, so my PS5 has been in the closet since February with exception to playing a few days of the Virtua Fighter re-release and of course giving Shenmue 3 and Ghost of Tsushima a little love the first week I got this PS5 to see how they compared to the PS4 experience. To be honest, I would have resold this PS5 as well right away but I am waiting to play Kena Bridge of Spirits and want to experience it on the best platform it'll be on at launch. I'm glad I kept it though cause I'm really stoked for the Ghost DLC too.

Here is a nice comparison with the Death Stranding DC PS5 version.
Brand new controller features (haptic feedback, adaptive triggers), new 3D audio, improved loading speed,
two new screen modes - performance: 60 fps upscaled 4K or
high fidelity at true 2160p.

New and expanded story missions, new close combat mechanics, new enemy types, new delivery tools, new vehicles,
new areas, new UI, new challenges ...
it also includes the PC exclusive Cyberpunk 2077 and Half Life content
and you can transfer your PS4 save file to PS5.

The upgrade is 10 USD for everyone who already owns the game on PS4.

Yet Tsushima on PS5 has no options and forces you to buy the 30 USD package.
They bundled the PS5 upgrade with the DLC for no reason.

Last edited:
I felt that Ghost of Tsushima was one of the best games of last gen. I was planning on jumping back into it and then they announced the Director's Cut. I went ahead and preordered the $20 DLC to show Sucker Punch support. Even though I have a PS5, I don't feel I need the $10 difference for it as I count it as my PS4's swan song.

I felt that Ghost of Tsushima was one of the best games of last gen. I was planning on jumping back into it and then they announced the Director's Cut. I went ahead and preordered the $20 DLC to show Sucker Punch support. Even though I have a PS5, I don't feel I need the $10 difference for it as I count it as my PS4's swan song.
I was actually going to ask about this, I am glad to see that I can opt to buy the PS4 version of the DLC on my PS5 and not be forced to buy it at the full price. Personally, I'll spend the extra $10 for the complete upgrade, but this should hopefully reduce some of the complaints going on by PS5 owners that think $30 is too much.

Yes Ghost of Tsushima was the best Sony game this gen. It is still quite a bite generic and follow the Sony forumala too much but the setting makes up for that a lot. I am biased I am big Japan fan and history geek so I can overlook the typical open world stuff. the Game has a good atmosphäre, an awesome soundtrack and the combat is fun.

My negative points are that the open world is bland feels empty. But that is not a problem of Ghost of Tsushima. All so called open world games suffer form that.

It would be so cool if the NPC react to Jin way more. And they should react differently according to the play style. They should fear a player that plays only Ghost Style and should react in a more postive way towards Samurai Jin.

But I am just day dreaming now. Maybe it is technically possible to achieve the stuff I am dreaming about.

I am also going to get the 30 Euro upgrade . I am fine with that. It may not be cheap I handpick my games and I rarely buy modern games so it ok for me.

Back