Giving Shenmue 1 and 2 the Kiwami Treatment

Also slightly off topic,but does anyone find it very strange that the classic outrun game, featured in Shenmue 2 and Yakuza zero, is never in any of the Sega classics on ps4/xboxone?

Also something you may not know,when they gave the 1st 2 yakuzas the kiwami treatment,they added about 30 minutes brand new made scenes that were never in the original! You do realize what this means, if Shenmue gets the kiwami treatment? Boat chapter at the end of Shenmue 1, and a huge fight on boat with Chai!!!

Suzuki would need to be involved with a Remake like that, he really should have been involved with the HD Collection, but he cant be in 2 places at once. I am not opposed to this idea, but it needs to be handled the right way.

As I've said I'd always be content with a HD Collection, but even as i sit here with it in my hands I can't help but look at it with distain. All I ever wanted was an Accessible version of Shenmue1&2 converted into fullscreen 16:9 - and it simply doesn't deliver. I never felt the need for a Kiwami Remake, not even wanted it. Heck, I'd even be content with a series of Shenmue games using the old engine and looking the same - But with upped resoultion and widescreen.

As for Yakuza, these Kiwami releases are essential as they bring the life to the first game which is considerably dated, as for the 2nd game which was a vast improvement origninally it simply comes down to being on the PS2 which is horrendous on a HDTV, with Kiwami 1&2 The rest of the series is accessible as it is, though I am still pleading for a PS4 port of 3 4 5 on PS4 liek Japan is getting.

I wouldn't give Shenmue the Kiwami treatment personally. I love it how it is and don't want to change that much, best I could hope for is some updated/rebuilt assets similar to Shadow of the Colossus...

I wonder if capsule toys would include characters from Yakuza lol. I would like it if Ryo could console the food he buys at the tomato mart, or try some ramen at a local shop to help his health.

And include free training in Shenmue II Kiwami.

Keep the features (mostly) as they are in the HD "portmasters"....and focus on making the games look, sound, and play like they were from 2019.

I do hope this will become a Shadow of the Colossus situation, where we have a rather basic remaster, and years later, a full remake.
The only difference being that I would want Yu Suzuki directly involved (Ueda wasn't).

Also, while we're on the topic....I hope we get a re-release of the PS3 version of Shadow of the Colossus at some point ;) Remakes are great, but those amazing originals always need to be available IMO.

I know this is a hypothesis but the #1 reason why Yakuza got "the Kiwami treatment" was that those games are the king of asset recycling, they have decades of work on next-gen iterations of Yakuza 1/2 assets already done by nature of the games. Since they were doing a new engine to Y6 anyway the Kiwamis were order of magnitudes cheaper than a game that only has early 2000's assets like Shenmue would cost to bring back in a renewed form.

Obviously the Dobuita featured in the original game is greatly scaled down from the real one, so it'd be nice to see it expand in size a bit.

Believe it or not, ‘Dobuita’ is actually the name of a street in Yokosuka rather than an area. I’ve been there a few times and would actually say that the game gets it more or less right in terms of scale.

What the game doesn’t reflect too well is the proximity between the honch and the harbor area. I guess in that sense, adding in the connecting areas and creating a more seamless map (ie, no bus) might make the game seem a little more cohesive.

What the game doesn’t reflect too well is the proximity between the honch and the harbor area. I guess in that sense, adding in the connecting areas and creating a more seamless map (ie, no bus) might make the game seem a little more cohesive.

The connecting area is already in the game. You can ride the motorbike all the way from the bus stop at Dobuita to the bus stop at the harbour.

The connecting area is already in the game. You can ride the motorbike all the way from the bus stop at Dobuita to the bus stop at the harbour.

I was referring to a playable area rather than just a cutscene. A full size playable map of the area represented in S1 would still be a fraction of the size of the map in GTAV and by today’s standards would be easily achievable. The walk from Dobuita street to the waterfront in Yokosuka can be done in a matter of minutes. I suppose removing the bus stop barrier would make containing the playable area difficult though (ie, there would be nothing preventing you from heading in the opposite direction).

Back