Going to Zhangyu early

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Hey everyone,
I found something not really talked about that can happen in Shenmue II that I've known for years but don't know if anyone here knows about since I never see anyone talk about it. But I bet you'd all know, but just in case you didn't I thought I'd share what I found.

When learning the wude, Zhangyu's shop is closed until you learn the wude from Jianmin and Zhoushan, so depending on who you learn the wude from first will be whoever refers you to Zhangyu. Then when you learn DAN from Zhangyu, he refers you to the Bloom Tailor who then refers you to Guixiang. But it's actually possible to go to Zhangyu first or second! If you talk to the owner of the shop across the street from Zhangyu's shop and maybe other shops in that area idk for sure, he'll refer you to Zhangyu and then his shop will open early! Which makes sense that he would refer you to him since he's right across the street from them and the well known martial artist in that quarter.

This will result in different paths to finding out about Guixiang to learn YI. If you go to Zhangyu and Jianmin first, Zhoushan will refer you to the owner of Sunny Capital Pharmacy who will then refer you to Guixiang. Going to Zhangyu and Zhoushan first will have Jianmin refer you to Guixiang which makes total sense since she's his master and good friend and she lives real close to where he practices Tai Chi.

Personally in my game, I like going to Zhangyu first, then Zhoushan, then Jianmin so he can refer you right to Guixiang. But first meet Jianmin when first entering the South Carmain Quarter to get the extra scene where he spars with Ryo a second time. Makes sense that Zhoushan or Zhangyu would refer you to Guixiang since she's probably the best martial artist in Wan Chai besides Xiuying, but they decide to refer you to a tailor and pharmacist instead who aren't martial aritsts.... lol.

Not that you could go to him first; I did (just once, I think on my 3rd of 11 playthroughs) go to him 2nd that one time, but never first.

I've always gone to Jianmin first, each and every time.

Not that you could go to him first; I did (just once, I think on my 3rd of 11 playthroughs) go to him 2nd that one time, but never first.

I've always gone to Jianmin first, each and every time.
I probably went to Jianmin first in my first run, since I met him before I had to learn the wude. But now I always do Zhangyu, then Zhoushan, then Jianmin. Personally I think that's the best path.

Back