Gomorrah

FRASIER

“I’m listening”
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Rocket League

I don't usually watch subtitled shows, I find a disconnect with what I'm viewing. I've watched a few foreign films in my time, but I felt I could never relax and watch. My eyes and brain were too busy reading the subtitles to enjoy what I was watching.

But that's all changed here.

I can't remember why I started watching Gomorrah, I think it's my love of Italy and that Ricky Gervais said it's the best thing he's ever seen. So I tried to track it down, that was quite hard actually, it wasn't easily accessible. I finally got round to watching it from getting one of those NOWTV passes and managed to view it in HD, rather than a grainy rip online. I was instantly captivated, lost in it - I was sold.

The show follows the Neapolitan crime organization called 'The Camorra' who are described as Italy's other mafia. It center's around the power struggle of organized crime families. There's a continual story of power shifts, loyalty and betrayal. The show is intense and the recreation of the criminal underworld is brutally portrayed here. The acting is superb, you 'really' feel for the characters. I can hand on heart say that I've never seen anything like this before. The scenes are intense beyond belief, nobody is safe (no this is not GOT, this hasn't lost it's way, it knows what it is). The whole mood, the acting and the music are all spot on. It's stylish, it's raw, it's gritty, visceral and brutal.

Series 4 has just been released today on Sky Atlantic and I can't wait to be immersed in it all again.

Folks, I can't recommend this show enough.

Official Synopsis;

Hard-hitting, Italian crime drama directed by Matteo Garrone, based on the non-fiction book by Roberto Saviano, who was forced into hiding after the book's publication. The film takes an unglamorous look at the extent to which the city of Naples is controlled by the Camorra mob, a network of families whose influence extends beyond the underground world of organised crime and into the everyday running of the city. Five intertwining stories show the effects of mobster rule on Neapolitan citizens from all walks of life.

“Shakespearean tragedy crossed with The Godfather and the best bits of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels” AA Gill

“A touch of Tarantino” The Independent

“The new, must-see Mafioso series” The Spectator

“Italy’s answer to Breaking Bad” Sight & Sound

“Like The Wire before it, Gomorrah is interested in longform storytelling”
Bim Adewunmi - The Guardian

“For those of us who romanticise Italy, Gomorrah is a fizzing antidote” The Telegraph - Jasper Rees

Last edited:
Just wanted to bump this up the que. Has anyone actually watched this, I can't be the only one to have witnessed this masterpiece? - I need someone else to talk to.

There's a new film coming based on a central character called L'immortale.

I think I watched the first two season and most of season 3 if season 3 is the one with blue blood. It's pretty good but I wouldn't call it "the best thing I've ever seen". The wire and the Sopranos are quite a bit ahead in terms of crime shows in my opinion.

I think I watched the first two season and most of season 3 if season 3 is the one with blue blood. It's pretty good but I wouldn't call it "the best thing I've ever seen". The wire and the Sopranos are quite a bit ahead in terms of crime shows in my opinion.

That's the one, you see I never really got into The Sopranos - maybe I should give it another go? Think I got up to season 4 of The Wire, but didn't carry on with that, that was very niche - but I liked it. I think I gave Gomorrah the praise down to the raw and gritty nature and style of it, the proper nobodies safe, also you're rooting for technically the bad guy.

Just wanted to bump this up the que. Has anyone actually watched this, I can't be the only one to have witnessed this masterpiece? - I need someone else to talk to.

There's a new film coming based on a central character called L'immortale.

Thanks to you (and seeing this thread about 2 months ago) I have now started to watch this show. Currently only on the second episode and the part where bossman makes Ciro drink his urine.

Genny is a useless, spoilt little brat. Can see Ciro taking over as the proper boss at some point.

Edit: And 5 mins after I wrote that, Pietro is in jail and Genny is in hospital. Hah.

Enjoying it so far.

Last edited:
Thanks to you (and seeing this thread about 2 months ago) I have now started to watch this show. Currently only on the second episode and the part where bossman makes Ciro drink his urine.

Genny is a useless, spoilt little brat. Can see Ciro taking over as the proper boss at some point.

Edit: And 5 mins after I wrote that, Pietro is in jail and Genny is in hospital. Hah.

Enjoying it so far.
Its not so predictable

Back