GOTY 2020 -- That time of the year again! What were your favorite games of 2020?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Tekken 7 (always Tekken 7)
PSN
danmann861
Steam
danielmann861
2020 is almost drawing to a close. Let's not sugar coat it. This year has been a shit year all around! But at least we had some decent games come out this year. In a year of turmoil, at least we found some comfort in some pretty damn good games. So, let's celebrate those games! What were your favorite games of the year?

I'll kick it off

-----------------------
10 Best Games I've Played in 2020:
-----------------------

10.) No More Heroes (Switch) -- I was very late to the party with this one. I never played these games back on the Wii but I was watching a friend stream the Switch re-releases and it made me curious to pick it up. Damn, I've been missing out! This game is totally up my alley combining all the things 15 year old me loved. Wrestling, beat 'em ups and wacky humor. I may have came into the party late on this one but I'm more than glad to be here now.

9.) Astro's Playroom (PS5) -- Who knew a glorified pack in tech demo designed to show off the new PS5 controller would wind up being one of the most charming games I've played all year? Astro's Playroom is not only a complete love note to everything both Sony and just gaming in general, it's also a surprisingly fun and varied little platformer. If you get a PS5, do yourself a favor and play this game! It's so worth the time and effort.

8.) Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 (PS4) -- An almost perfect remake bar one thing; the bloody revert timing. Yes, it still bothers me that the revert timing is ever so slightly off. But other than that, damn near perfect! Tony Hawk 1+2 captures the feel of classic Tony Hawk better than THPS5 or THPS HD could ever dream. It feels just about right, looks great with a fresh new coat of pain and is still the same addictive score attack fun it ever was.

7.) Doom Eternal (PC) -- I had fun with it. I don't know why it got the certain backlash it did but I had a lot of fun with Doom Eternal. The shooting felt as good if not better than Doom 2016. The platforming, while divisive, was fun and challenging to me. It was as frantic as Doom 2016. It felt much like Doom 2016 refined and I thought that was a good thing. I had a great time with Doom Eternal.

6.) Streets of Rage 4 (PS4) -- Streets of Rage 4 was a welcome return for a classic brawler. The newly added combo system was really fun and made scoring high combos addictive. The art design grew on me more and more while playing. It felt perfect for what it needed to be. All bar the somewhat disappointing soundtrack. It was good but not as good as Streets of Rage 2's soundtrack. But that one complaint aside, this was a perfect return to form for Streets of Rage. Loved it!

5.) Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) -- I guess I don't have as much attachment to the original FFVII so the changes made to the ending didn't bother me as much as it did the hardcore fans. I really enjoyed my time in Midgar. With that said, I will say I did fall off a little towards the endgame. But the first three quarters of the game were magical. I actually quite like the battle system in this game. It was a good mix between action and turn based. I hope they refine it more with FFVII R2 down the road. But yeah, I had a good time with FFVII Remake for the most part. It's worthy of my top 10 for sure. Plus, Aeris and Tifa are stunningly beautiful in this game. I'm a red blooded male, I'll say it without shame.

4.) Dreams (PS4) -- While I personally haven't made anything myself in Dreams, I do find myself going back to it a fair bit to look at other people's creations. It really is astonishing just how much this game lets you create and some peoples creations are mind blowing within. I feel like this game is way too overlooked. Even if you have no desire to create, you should really check out some of the creations within. They're doing some pretty amazing stuff within Dreams and it has constantly blown my mind every time I check back in on it.

3.) Ori and the Will of the Wisps (PC) -- This game is precious. Better than its predecessor—which was already pretty good—in every imaginable regard. Combat system is still quite simple but much more fun and fleshed out, as is the upgrade system; you get all the cool movement options very early on; world is very diverse and feels truly alive, with characters that are colorful and adorable; and the story is simple but awfully sweet. You will be emotionally invested.

2.) Yakuza 7: Like A Dragon (PS4) -- While divisive among the community, I think the move to turn based RPG paid off rather well for this installment. It felt largely refreshing coming from 15 years of fun and refined but somewhat stale beat 'em up mechanics. Don't get me wrong, I love the beat 'em up nature of the previous games, but I was ready for something new and Yakuza 7 gave me something a bit fresh. I had a great time with 120 hours I spent with Yakuza 7. The mini games were great, The story was compelling. I wasn't sure how I would feel about Ichiban but he is such a positive and sweet dork that he is kinda hard not to love. I do have some small niggles with it. The fact that they relied on the old guard once again was a bit of a downer for me, but all in all, I had a great time with Yakuza 7. It felt both fresh and familiar at the same time.

1.) Ghost of Tsushima (PS4) -- I wrestled with whether this spot would go to Yakuza 7 or Ghost of Tsushima, but in the end, I decided on Ghost of Tsushima. What a beautiful game through and through. Exploring every inch of that world was a treat. Following birds to haiku spots instead of relying on the map was almost refreshing. The world is astonishingly beautiful in that game. Watching the tall blades of grass flow gently in the wind never got old. I got so much use out of photo mode in that game (as some saw here in the Ghost of Tsushima thread) just because that world was so astonishingly breathtaking.

But more than that, I really enjoyed the story it told. The conflict between honor and the old ways versus breaking tradition and re-taking the island under new but questionable methods was compelling. I really got wrapped up in the story it told. The combat was also a lot fun. Not overly taxing in difficulty but not brain dead either. It felt like the right balance for what it needed to be and I had a lot of fun with the combat in that game.

All in all, astonishing work from Sucker Punch.

----------------------
Honorable Mentions:
----------------------

Persona 5 Royal (PS4) -- While I still haven't finished Persona 5 Royal, I've played enough to know it seems like the definitive version of Persona 5 to play. I've enjoyed my time with it. Will one day go back to it and finish it off. When I find time.

Demon's Souls (PS5) -- Bluepoint never fails to impress. They always do good work and Demon's Souls remake is no exception to that rule.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5) -- A decent stop gap setting up further for the true sequel. It was a fun side quest game but nothing major worth talking about.

Resident Evil 3 (PS4) -- Not quite as good as the RE2 Remake. But I did have some fun with it none the less.

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time! (PS4) -- A fun return from the Bandicoot, if not a fucking difficult return! This game is harder than it has any real right to be. But still fun.

Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout (PS4) -- I did have some fun with it in the short time I played it. It wasn't without its charms.

Cyberpunk 2077 (PC) -- Playing on PC; I haven't had as many problems with it. Not a terrible game by any means, just a confused one. But I've had some fun with it in the 15 hours I've put in so far. Just not enough to make it into my top ten list.

-----------------------
"You've made my SHIT LIST!" (or the worst games I've played this year)
-----------------------

The Last of Us Part II (PS4) -- You've all heard me bang on enough about this game. You all know I really don't like TLOU2...let's just move on. I'm not gonna rant again. All I can say about it is that it is a game that thinks it's thematically deep, but really it's about as deep as a puddle.

Godfall (PS5) -- A very lame and utterly generic game in all accounts. Nothing more to say here. Moving on. Let's just forget about Godfall. It will be in the bargin bins soon enough.

Watch Dogs Legion (PS5) -- More Ubijunk. Yawn! I played about 5 hours of this and came to the same realisation I did with Watch Dogs 2. I am never going to like Watch Dogs as a franchise, so just stop trying to give it a chance. So I deleted the game and was done with Watch Dogs.

Last edited:
Overall, probably Yakuza 7 despite not having finished it yet. Hopefully within the next few days. On chapter 9 so far and the usual out there story stuff is creeping in but for the most part it’s been a blast.

Maneater was surprisingly really good, but maybe it’s just that my expectations were kinda low? Rocky start but once I got into the groove of things it was very fun and satisfying the rest of the way through to the platinum trophy.

I had been really excited for Deadly Premonition 2. It’s still great in its own ways and I’m glad it’s not exactly the same thing over again, but sadly there are some areas in which I think the original was better, namely the levels, overall length, sidequests and rewards, cast, things like that. I’m just glad it was up to par where it really mattered to me, between the characters and story and all that.

I guess those are the big 3 for me. There was a lot I didn’t get or have not got to yet, what with having been out of work for 3 months, having Covid for one of those, and then out of work for roughly 2 more months once we moved.

I guess there was Animal Crossing early this year which everyone played. I enjoyed it as my second AC experience but I think it’s just not for me, and the small but unfortunately major thing for me is that you kind of have to make a commitment to playing it every day and I just don’t like that kind of pressure when the game itself is supposed to be relaxing.

There were the No More Heroes ports, which are some of my favorite games and I’m so thankful I don’t have to worry about getting new batteries every time I want to play them now. Thing is, while they are some of the better rereleases you’ll find, and some things are definitely improved, there are some very minor nitpicks I have with both. But it’s just hard to say a rerelease in general and not a full on remake would be goty material for me.

Currently I’m juggling a few games but I doubt I’ll get very far into any by next year to really matter. So far, Immortals has been a little better than expected, kind of disappointing in the character customization and armor though, and overall I think BotW is still clearly the better game. Not far in Summer in Mara, but so far it’s kinda charming despite the really apparent low budget. Have not even booted up Wasteland 3 yet, nor have I actually purchased Hades, Hyrule Warriors sequel or Fitness Boxing 2 like I’d planned yet.

call of duty warzone and last of us 2 are the best games of 2020 i played.

I sort of feel I haven't played a heck of a lot of NEW titles this year, I still have tons of PS4 on a backlog from the previous few years and have spent more time playing them to be fair.

1. Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1
While it has some questionable changes the majority of the experience is faithful to the original and was a joy to play. Bringing such a large project into rich modern detail is no easy task - let alone expanding it, yet S-E managed it (So Far).

2. Death Stranding
I held off on this a little bit as I was very unsure on it, especially after the discontentment that was The Phantom Pain. But I found DS to be very compelling despite open world traversal being the core gameplay. The environment was the most detailed I've ever seen within a game and being an obstacle made it really come alive. Then there is all the lore and detail put into the games world and story. The main character isn't as memorable as some of MGS's but his role in the story was serviceable and it was a very decent game overall.

3. Oddworld New N' Tasty
Not sure why it took me so long to play this game, but I had a blast with it! very well realised remake of the original with all the charm! Hoping SoulsStorm coming out in 2021 can meet the level of fun and quality this title had.

4. Yakuza 3 HD
I haven't played this game in years but after going back to it as play through the series I loved it! I feel the story surround Kiryu looking after the orphanage wa more engaging than the political conspiracy and gang war fair that is typical of the series. The kids dlimeas and characters were far more heartwarming that anything else in the game. I also liked a lot of the games side characters too and the new town as a joy to explore. Not sure if it is my favourite Yakuza - I still find Kiwami more concise but it's certainly up there!

5. Days Gone on PS5
Another title I held off one, open world games aren't usually my thing but Days Gone handles it very well. I liked the varierty of enemies (Apart from the flying ones which came off as goofy!), and seeing them in conflict with one another as you I'd navigate the area on the bike. The world genuinely felt lived in and was very impressive. I still don't know if I like Deacon as a character, he was very abrasive and often had random outbursts. Also sometimes his actions/motivations simply didn't align with his core values, I often found myself saying this character wouldn't do this or that. Still it was a solid game overall.

Honorable Mentions:
The Last of Us Part II
- Conflicting and very drawn out but still a masterclass it atmosphere and gameplay.
Astro's Playroom - More than just a tech demo and nostalgia service, some genuinely unique ideas and fun concepts.
Resident Evil 3 Remake - Yes a little underwhelming, but still a decent experience.
Yakuza 4 HD - Enjoyed it, especially Saejima's back story events but the structure was a bit weaker.
GTA V Online / Fortnite - Played a lot of this with my friends this year.

Spiteful Mentions:
Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time

Absolutely despise this game! Hated it from start to finish. Toys For Bob seem to have gone out of their way to please the Dark Souls crowd in making a game that is more focused on frustrating you than offering an enjoyable experience. The difficulty is sadistic, to the point where it isn't enjoyable. Each level had 200-400+ boxes, even trying to go out of my way to get them all in levels I would often miss 1 or 2 out of the colossal amount. I see why there is a retro mode with lives and a modern mode without, it feels like this game is not designed towards having lives, I spent 81 on one of the last levels. Even the story doesn't have much to offer as most of the input is revolved around time-traveling nonsense. This game is a tremendous step in the wrong direction and if Toys for Bob intend to continue the series then I think I will pass and stick with Twinsanity.

In terms of being released this year then probably Ghost of Tsushima. I also liked The Last of Us Part 2 but there were too many moments where I simply wanted a particular segment to end. Didn't have that problem with Ghost of Tsushima as if I wanted to blaze through the main missions I could, or I could take my time with side missions and levelling up.

FF7 Remake Part 1. I have never liked the original that much thanks to the childish character design und the sloppy German translation that made the story quite ridiculous. Part 1 on the other hand is perfect. The character design is great, the world building is nice and it really has certain appeal to me. Cannot wait to get part 2.

Astro Playroom I really like the astrobot character and the game has a nice flair. I was also surprised that the Dual Sense is working better than expected. It will be nice to see what the devs are going to to with in the future.

Honorable Mentions

RE 3 Remake. I like the Remake of 3 more than the Remake of 2 (a very unpopular opinion) and there is noting wrong with it. A good RE game but it wowed me not enough to put into GOTY territory.

Ghost of Tsushima Nothing wrong with that game as well Good graphics nice presentation fun gameplay. Too bad it was open world. Open world is not working for an story driven game and the interactivity could be way better.

It is a real pity that the NPC did not react to ways the player plays the game like they did in Infamous Second Son.

Would be cool to see if the villagers are afraid of Jin if he acts as the ghost and in case he plays as a "honorable Samurai, they revere him.

lol only game of this year I've played was RGG 7.

And it's better than anything else that came out this year, no cap ;)

Going over my post again, I realize I forgot to mention Disaster Report 4. Not quite sure where I’d place it, but despite its issues I had very little problems with it and generally enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Persona 5 Royal (PS4) - Perfection made better. - I'm actually playing it right now. One of the best games ever made I.M.O

God of War (PS4) - a testosterone boosting game beautifully made and I had lots of fun with it. Looking forward to the next game which will be built on the same ground and it will be outstandingly good. It was one hell of a good action game.

Shadow of Memories (PS2) - I liked this game a lot. A very unique game. I just wish it was a little longer.

Burnout 3 (PS2) - this game was so fun but difficult as hell sometimes.

F.F.VII Remake (PS4) - Mostly a very positive experience except the bad textures. I wanted it to be linear, which it was, but I want Part II to be less linear and so forth. I hope we will get at least 4 games to complete the story of FFVII.

R.E 3 (PS4) - It was very good and very bad at the same time. But felt like a very long but fun demo of a game that never happened.

Last edited:
Back