Great Ace Attorney duo-logy announced July 27 2021

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
Capcom finally did it.

trailer dropped recently.

So it was confirmed Conan Doyle Estate & the sherlock holmes copyright withholding it back all along. Localization changed up the script so guess I'm re-reading the first game again before finishing up the sequel. :)

btw, will you guys support it? It's multi-plat as well.

It's out! Anyone played it yet? I had it preordered, but unfortunately some stuff came up and I haven't gotten to it quite yet. I'm hoping to this weekend--and I'm really hoping this will also lead to Switch/PC ports of the second trilogy, and the two Investigations games!

It's out! Anyone played it yet? I had it preordered, but unfortunately some stuff came up and I haven't gotten to it quite yet. I'm hoping to this weekend--and I'm really hoping this will also lead to Switch/PC ports of the second trilogy, and the two Investigations games!
I have and it's good stuff. The jokes/tension/platonic relationships between the two main leads & the casts is great plus they're oozing with personality. Gameplay is more def involved and this time the investagation and courtroom drama is turned up to 11. It's def a notched up in terms of presentation. The ost and visuals are a nice plus too.

Wait, so Sherlock Holmes is still copyright protected? Naming him herlock sholmes is honestly funnier so everything turned out good but this kinda shit makes me mad. Copyright/patent trolls are the worst.

Wait, so Sherlock Holmes is still copyright protected? Naming him herlock sholmes is honestly funnier so everything turned out good but this kinda shit makes me mad. Copyright/patent trolls are the worst.
As I understand it, the characters of Holmes and Watson are ‘officially’ in the public domain, but the Conan Doyle estate has sued in some cases because of certain portrayals of Holmes that show traits in stories not yet in public domain. They did lose those case, but they could sue again if a portrayal isn’t to their liking. In Japan, there is no problem with copyright for the Sherlock Holmes character, and in the Japanese version of the Great Ace Attorney, I believe the character is named Sherlock. It could be that for the English release, Capcom wanted to play it safe instead of risking a lawsuit from the Conan Doyle estate. But in my opinion, the name Herlock Sholmes fits better with the character.

I’ve been enjoying the game a lot; I’ve only played the original ace attorney trilogy, so I wasn’t used to the idea of the 3D models. I thought it would bother me, but now I almost like the 3D more than the 2D sprites. The models make everything more lively and add a lot of depth and life to the characters. Especially in the case of Sholmes. And in general the characters are more compelling in my opinion. Really enjoying the gameplay as well, the fact that you can examine things in a fully 3d space makes things much more involved. Overall, I really like the story, characters, and gameplay elements in these games.

Last edited:
As I understand it, the characters of Holmes and Watson are ‘officially’ in the public domain, but the Conan Doyle estate has sued in some cases because of certain portrayals of Holmes that show traits in stories not yet in public domain. They did lose those case, but they could sue again if a portrayal isn’t to their liking. In Japan, there is no problem with copyright for the Sherlock Holmes character, and in the Japanese version of the Great Ace Attorney, I believe the character is named Sherlock. It could be that for the English release, Capcom wanted to play it safe instead of risking a lawsuit from the Conan Doyle estate. But in my opinion, the name Herlock Sholmes fits better with the character.
IIRC the particular issue at this point is that, while Watson and Holmes are public domain, roughly half of the Holmes stories from the final short story compilation are still copyrighted, so anything that references those cases can still be claimed as infringing on copyright. Thankfully, their time is short: four are entering the public domain in January of 2022, and the last two in January of 2023. (Meanwhile, they've been public domain for more than forty years in the UK where they originated. Sheesh.)

I’ve been enjoying the game a lot; I’ve only played the original ace attorney trilogy, so I wasn’t used to the idea of the 3D models. I thought it would bother me, but now I almost like the 3D more than the 2D sprites. The models make everything more lively and add a lot of depth and life to the characters. Especially in the case of Sholmes. And in general the characters are more compelling in my opinion. Really enjoying the gameplay as well, the fact that you can examine things in a fully 3d space makes things much more involved. Overall, I really like the story, characters, and gameplay elements in thsee games.
The 3D models will feel a little weird to me at first, too, I think. I've played the original trilogy a few times, along with Apollo Justice and Investigations 1, but not DD or SoJ. It's good to hear that they work pretty well! I'm pretty excited for the weekend to come so I can get started playing!

Back