Guess how Shenmue 3 will review

Atlus is the only localized group that I've seen make an effort to find good enough VA to match the quality of their JP counterpart.

The anime industry is so much better off, then VG when it comes to VA. I have no idea why VG don't hire VAs from the anime. Instead they waste a fortune on Hollywood actors who can't VA worth a damn.

There will huge bias from reviewers because it is a Kickstarter game. Unlike the 9/10 scores for Shenmue 1&2 it will be lower.

I'll guess 7/10 from major reviewers and 70% on Metacritic.

This is purely guessing as we don't even took a good deep look at the game yet.
We've seen very litle.
But if most reviewers take into account that this is a KS game with a litle bit more budget, reviews can be good.
The only concern I have, per say, is that, cause this is a game made mainly for its pre-existing fans (not saying that it isn't appealing for any other gamers, cause I thing it can be) many of the reviewers will lack some context to what this game really is, and judge aginst its "old mechanics" or style.
And that can damage the scores a bit.
I'm optimistic tho. If Shenmue 3 gets 1 very good review per each bad one, the agregate can be in the green for sure!

Last edited:
Atlus is the only localized group that I've seen make an effort to find good enough VA to match the quality of their JP counterpart.

Nintendo managed to produce an absolutely fantastic dub for Fire Emblem Three Houses, a game that has like 40 hours of dialogue or something. Every single voice actor is perfect for every single role. I think it's the best English dub of a video game I have ever seen.

Gaming journalism is quite biased these days. Most gaming journalists think in categories these days. This is good and bad at the same time. It just depends on in what category the media people will put Shenmue 3 in.

If they put it into the same category as your average main stream title then Shenmue is into big trouble. Buf in case they see what it is and put into the category of a small indie adventure like the Life is Strange series for example it could get very good scores.

Any insight or bullet points about it??

I don't know i'm afraid! Whilst I was happy to buy the Edge magazine with Shenmue on the cover as well as subscribing to Retro Gamer, I didn't want to risk £6 in case it wasn't much. If a braver person wants to buy it and let us know, that would be most appreciated!!

I don't know i'm afraid! Whilst I was happy to buy the Edge magazine with Shenmue on the cover as well as subscribing to Retro Gamer, I didn't want to risk £6 in case it wasn't much. If a braver person wants to buy it and let us know, that would be most appreciated!!
Wow, 6£ sounds pretty expansive for a regular magazine

I am subscribed to the UK Playstation Mag. I can share the article when I get it. But you have to patient guys. Always takes 1 to 2 weeks at least before the issue arrives in Austria.

The fact that Shenmue 2 for Xbox reviews at 80% on Metacritic leaves me with very little faith in reviewer opinions.

For the sake of this thread, I'm guessing that the game will review betwen 70-80%

I'm betting its gonna be very divisive and get a range of reviews from mediocre 5s to really solid 8s and some 9s. I think the metacritic will look a bit bad cause of the division so I wouldn't be surprised if its a lower 70's if not higher 60's. I want to hold out hope that it will review way above all that maybe get a comfy 81 or 82 but I also would rather undersell it and hope im wrong than get my hopes too high and have them dashed.

Personally I hate the idea of metacritic cause it takes away any critique and streamlines them exclusively to focus on the score when everyone's scoring metric isnt the same and some of the more questionable reviews are put on the same level as the good ones. Like I recall when nier automata came out there were a few more middling reviews of the game that only finished branch A and called it a day when thats like, the 40% mark and the stuff that comes after it drastically changes the game's overall tone and context, I don't want that shit being put on the same level of credibility with people that finished the game and critiqued the whole thing fairly just cause their scores can be put into an average.

Wonder what the User Score would be... I'm guessing 2.5 because of the Epic Exclusivity. :(
Look on YouTube for game promo videos, 1 out of 100 will be a Steam priest Vale prophet. And those get their mouths shut quick with facts, I try very hard to do my part, but I'm not alone there. You're talking kickstarter. They are very bitter there, only about 10 people posting, including the ones already with refunds. I get a few others say garbage there too, but count them. As soon as the demo went live zero of them mattered. Think what it will be like when the actual full game goes live, they'll look silly.

Epic said at GDC that 85 million people now use its store. Epic Games said during a GDC presentation today that there are now 85 million registered users of the Epic Games Store on PC—and, according to user surveys from August 2018 and January 2019.

Dreamcast had 12 million owners. If 1% of Epic users see something in Shenmue 3, just imagine that for a minute.

They weren’t unplayable or broken by any means. I Platinumed both games on week of launch so I should know :) . But again, internet and hyperbole go hand in hand sadly.
Oh but till I could install as beta patch, you better believe they had huge idiotic bugs. Right in the beginning too. The scene where Fuku San is talking to Ryo near the dojo, it was so bugged up, you saw nothing but the wall, not them. I couldn't believe they released that like that. Yu Suzuki never would have, internet, or no internet. He had beta testers for 1&2. BTW after 1, it went to save files, got bugged, I had to replay the whole harbor. Skills didn't transfer into 2. Horrible, horrible ports. Nothing on Yu Suzuki there, he'd drastically improve both given the chance. Thanks again SEGA.

Oh but till I could install as beta patch, you better believe they had huge idiotic bugs. Right in the beginning too. The scene where Fuku San is talking to Ryo near the dojo, it was so bugged up, you saw nothing but the wall, not them. I couldn't believe they released that like that. Yu Suzuki never would have, internet, or no internet. He had beta testers for 1&2. BTW after 1, it went to save files, got bugged, I had to replay the whole harbor. Skills didn't transfer into 2. Horrible, horrible ports. Nothing on Yu Suzuki there, he'd drastically improve both given the chance. Thanks again SEGA.

The rerelease of Shenmue 1 is a boken mess on everything or atleast was(don't know if Sega fixed). It seems like the Shenmue 2 rerelease seems good though.

I hope Sega fixed Shenmue 1.

The rerelease of Shenmue 1 is a boken mess on everything or atleast was(don't know if Sega fixed). It seems like the Shenmue 2 rerelease seems good though.

I hope Sega fixed Shenmue 1.
They did, there was a beta you had to subscribe to. No problems when I played in 2019.

This is purely guessing as we don't even took a good deep look at the game yet.
We've seen very litle.
But if most reviewers take into account that this is a KS game with a litle bit more budget, reviews can be good.
The only concern I have, per say, is that, cause this is a game made mainly for its pre-existing fans (not saying that it isn't appealing for any other gamers, cause I thing it can be) many of the reviewers will lack some context to what this game really is, and judge aginst its "old mechanics" or style.
And that can damage the scores a bit.
I'm optimistic tho. If Shenmue 3 gets 1 very good review per each bad one, the agregate can be in the green for sure!
In all my years reviews meant nothing. I loved adventure games, and martial arts. I saw the screens from Shenmue in a magazine once. This is for me. I saw the reviews saying "It's a forklift simulator, it has martial arts too, but it's filler." I just laughed at them, I still do. That's your professional journalists for you. I think right YouTube videos about it will do more than any review. Though Steam curators loved it before it had any trailers. Now they all hate it on there. Jealousy, envy, spite. Get people interested in 1&2. Newer gamers did see the trailers, and did get interested. That's how it'll sell. The professionals will bury it.

Back