Guess how Shenmue 3 will review

8 or 9/10 from expected outlets. Some nice surprising 8s from a few places, but plenty of 5 or 6. I'd say a 7 average.

Most of my favorite games are those whom are misunderstood. Maybe I have a misfit complex? Evil Twin, Shenmue, D2... etc.

D2 is a interesting game for sure .I have to get for my Dreamcast soon. I always dragged the purchase of it because it is quite expensive for a Dreamcast game. But waiting is not the best option. The longer I wait the more expensive it will get. So I have to snatch it soon.

In the end metacritic is pointless anyway. Metacritic cannot do the thining for you. You have to find out by yourself if you lie a game nor not.

It is so said that many people take metacritic that seriously that they really use it a a buying guide.

D2 is a interesting game for sure .I have to get for my Dreamcast soon. I always dragged the purchase of it because it is quite expensive for a Dreamcast game. But waiting is not the best option. The longer I wait the more expensive it will get. So I have to snatch it soon.

In the end metacritic is pointless anyway. Metacritic cannot do the thining for you. You have to find out by yourself if you lie a game nor not.

It is so said that many people take metacritic that seriously that they really use it a a buying guide.

The Japanese edition has always been pretty cheap. That's the version I own and it's very playable. The menus are all in English. Unfortunately story segments and cutscenes are in Japanese, but I just check out youtube clips or whatever so I can follow the story.

Yes the japanese version is quite cheap that is true. I was also considerding getting the japanese version, but the fact that it seems that there are different versions confused me. I was not sure if all the versions include the complete game or not.

Sticking to my 4/10. I have no ill will to those who will inevitably dislike the game either. Except if their review is ilike the pathetic The Sixth Axis preview, lol.

Great taste man! D2 is a misunderstood masterpiece. Love Evil Twin too, although haven't beaten it.

I've never played it, but have read about its writer/director Kenji Eno and he seems like he was a very cool and interesting creator. He also claimed to have been the one who thought up the name "Dreamcast." (Apparently Sega took suggestions from the public on what to name the console.)

D2 was also the first Dreamcast game ever announced! I remember it vividly. I got a US copy as it never came out in the UK and always remember giving up around Disc 3...Kenji Eno's games were flawed as hell, but there was something about him I found very interesting. It's a shame he died so young (early 40's) :(

RPG Site will probally rate it 8 or 9, but every other so called games journalist are sadly, and wrongly going to trash Shenmue 3, nomatter how great it is, because Shenmue 3 was designed to be a Shenmue game, made for the fans.

While there are improvement to the camera, and fighting systems, the overall gameplay Isn't trying to cast a wide net. It will no doubt still bring new people in(especially those who like pure adventure or slower paced story driven games), but It's not going to appeal to the casual gamers, which frankly games journalists don't even deserve being called casual(that would be a insult to actual casual gamers)

Last edited:
D2 was also the first Dreamcast game ever announced! I remember it vividly. I got a US copy as it never came out in the UK and always remember giving up around Disc 3...Kenji Eno's games were flawed as hell, but there was something about him I found very interesting. It's a shame he died so young (early 40's) :(

Yes the games of Eno where not the best Gameplay wise but they had some very intersting ideas. I really enjoyed playing D and Enemy Zero on the Saturn although they were flawed.

I also ordered the japanese Version of D2 yesterdays thanks the tip from @Reprise.

@Main Topic. Was thinking About the Topic again and although I can understand why some People are more on the negative side, we should not give in the negativity that much.

Random Internet comments does not represent all Gamers out there.

And even with bad Metacritic a game can still prevail. Days Gone is the best example for that in 2019.

And it is not the case that slow games are out and will be trashed automatically.

Just think About Life is Strange which is a very Shenmue like game just without the Combat. It is slow, does have state of the art graphics, you have to embrase the gaming world to move on and still the game was not trashed.

I am not saying that negative Reviews won't happen, they will for sure. But some People here make it Sound ,that S3 has not a chance at all and that is not not true.

To be fair, people keep mentioning 5 or 6s out of 10 as if it's a bad thing. As long, as scores are varied and enough outlets appreciate what Shenmue 3 is trying to do, it really doesn't matter too much. Alien Isolation gained a bunch of 5 and 6s, but it also got a lot of 7s, 8s and even 9s and most people who bought and played it loved it. I mean, Gamespot and IGN critcised it for "unpredictable AI" and the save system, when that was literally the point of the game! The Alien's AI was supposed to be unpredictable and not have a fixed pattern, and the save system was supposed to mimic an old school survival horror type mechanic.

Yeah, Gamespot, although my main gaming outlet for most my life, are hit or miss on reviews. Especially Dreamcast, they had a definite bias toward PS2 and XBOX. Funny, i preferrred Gamespot's personality and extra features enough to be a paid subscriber for over 5 years, yet IGN were the reviews I actually agreed with, but never really liked their staff as much to care about visiting regularly.

Forgot to mention Omikron as another game underappreciated and misunderstood, which I'm glad I've always been a fairly independent mind to judge things on my own. Became a favorite of mine instantly!

Last edited:
It depends on who is reviewing it at each outlet.

If you get someone who maybe has played Shenmue or has a bit of a flair for nostalgia then it may pass by with a decent score.
If you get someone who is of the mind set that "iT lOoKs lIkE Ps2" then it will probably score pretty low.

I see a few complaints incoming in most reviews:

-- I think the fighting will receive the bulk of criticism. Based on all reports coming out of E3 and GamesCom....I think the fighting could be the weakest element of the game and could easily be the thing most criticized. Or the thing that lets it down the most.

-- I think the English voice acting will probably be criticized for being too stiff and outdated...sure, we see the charm in that dub, but to joe-blow reviewer who is used to modern day dubs then I don't think it will fair well. Unless you get someone who sees it as an "ironic piece of nostalgia." (i.e hipster) I just think that dub is going to be criticized by some.

-- Outdated mechanics...if the game feels in any way outdated then some outlets will definitely make the case that "the world has moved on while Shenmue III remains a relic of a forgotten past" type of thing. Or alternatively some reviewers could see that as its virtue. You never really can tell.

-- If the game is in anyway buggy, I think it will be severely noted and even exaggerated in review scores.

I still think those are the bulk of criticisms that I'm expecting come review date.

Realistically I'm expecting somewhere between 6 or 7 from most outlets....with maybe a couple of outlets being kinder to it depending on who is reviewing it.

For instance; will Easy Allies review it and if so, will Huber be the one to do the job? It's a tricky thing. Do you get someone who is clearly a fan to review it or do you get someone who isn't a fan to review it? Not to say Huber couldn't identify any of its flaws, but we know Huber is prone to hype and his bias for Shenmue would be strong.

But again, it just depends on who is reviewing at these outlets. Some will probably tear into it. Others might be lenient and see its beauty. Also depends on how much time they put into it and what they see and don't see.

I was listening to the Giant Bombcast earlier and they mentioned the whole Shenmue refund ordeal. Jeff let out a comment that "it's a mess...much like Shenmue 3 was apparently a mess at E3"

It kind of hit home that there are some outlets that already feel this way, so be prepared. Mind you, Jeff has always had a hate boner for Shenmue so I'm not shocked that came out of his mouth, but I did do a double take and think "really?"

Most of the previews I saw were actually kind of even handed in their critique. I didn't hear people saying it was a "mess" (outside of that one French outlet)

Anyways, long story short. Who really knows how it will go? I think the obvious critiques are the ones above.

I still expect it to be the same reaction that Yoka Laylee got. Which was "it's outdated and past its prime"

But I was genuinely shocked that Shenmue 1 and 2 HD reviewed fairly decently (I was expecting critics to tear that collection apart as being outdated) so maybe Shenmue III will do solidly among reviewers as a piece of nostalgia

I still predict the Meta critic score to be around 60 to 75. I don't think it will be any higher than that. I would be shocked if it does get higher than that.

But all we can do is wait and see. Anyways, I don't really give a shit about the scores. Nothing will stop me from playing it day one.

Last edited:

He If u want d2 my Friend i can rent u it Send it to you..remember I am from germany too..I would do it next Time when I am at my old Home.You can Send me a private mail and stays in contact to me,if u want to.You're welcome and have a good day

Back