Guess how Shenmue 3 will review

Most English voice acting in things of Japanese origin, whether anime or games, tends to be kind of poor, doesn't it? MGS might be the exception, but isn't MGS in English both in Japan and the West?

The English voice acting in the new FFVII trailer is about as bad as the English voice acting in the Shenmue trailer, for what it's worth.

The English VAs, especially the male VAs for the Secret of mana remake(Square has always sucked with male characters in general, so not surprising) are pretty damn bad as well.

Most English voice acting in things of Japanese origin, whether anime or games, tends to be kind of poor, doesn't it? MGS might be the exception, but isn't MGS in English both in Japan and the West?

No, the mocap actor of Snake is also his voice (at least until MGS3), but Kojima is such a huge Hollywood fan, I'm sure he wants the lip flapping to look nice and natural for both languages.

No, the mocap actor of Snake is also his voice (at least until MGS3), but Kojima is such a huge Hollywood fan, I'm sure he wants the lip flapping to look nice and natural for both languages.

Also the VIZ VAs from Ocean in the anime industry, are hands down the best VAs in the world. The best anime tend to all have great VAs, It's generally only the crappy, and cash grab trash that have bad VA jobs.

This is why I really respect Eurogamer.

yaodDcw.jpg

qQ0dkYM.jpg

I think the game will get good reviews, if not excellent from the media. I'm more pessimistic about the user scores. I can see Epic haters review bombing the game in the very first days (e.g. Metacritic), then user ratings rising progressively week after week.

Review bombing will happen, but most people can spot it and recognise that it's childish and petty.

I read that Fire Emblem and Astral Chains were getting review bombed for stupid reasons, so it happens to a lot of different games.

@danielmann861 Jeff from GB just hates Shenmue (as we all know) and has been a detractor ever since the KS was announced, unsurprisingly. The way he brashly dismisses it as a terrible idea is strange to see from an industry vet, but I guess everybody has their biases, and Jeff's held onto his for 18 years now so I doubt he's ever going to change.

I thought his comments at E3 about people saying it was "the worst demo they'd ever seen" seemed...exagerrated? Like, he enjoyed announcing that a bit too much. Especially when Alex was just like, "yeah, it wasn't great"...but then he really didn't have much to say about it at all, like it was more inoffensive than bad to him.

It sucks that someone influential like that shits on Shenmue but what can you do. I've heard similarly dismissive and juvenile comments from Patrick Klepek, among others, but at this point I'm just like...whatever. Go enjoy the trash you enjoy, and I'll enjoy Shenmue.

We all have our echo chambers and that's ok, but I really do find the narrative some push that "E3 previews were a disaster" utterly ridiculous, given how the huge majority of previews were either positive or mixed at worst. Some of the hyperpole that came about was ridiculous, when you have the guys from Digital Foundry - who, whilst Shenmue fans or not, actually know what they're talking about - claiming it looked and played fine.

I think it's going to review better than most of us expect. It's going to get slammed by places like Giant Bomb and YouTube (think Funhaus, etc.) because those places already hated Shenmue.

The English voice acting in the new FFVII trailer is about as bad as the English voice acting in the Shenmue trailer, for what it's worth.

Interesting. No native speaker though, so I might not hear the bad things. But to me FF7 voice acting sounds professional while the Shenmue 3 voice acting sounds cringe worthy, just like the first 2 games.

The weird thing about the Shenmue 3 dub is it's like they hired professionals and then asked them to act as awful as possible, as an intentional design choice, in order to emulate the first couple of games.

The small amount of Shenhua and Ren we have heard sound ok (and I love Brianna Knickerbocker), but most of the NPCs sound pretty bad and cringe worthy and honestly, sorry, but Corey sounds worse than he did in the first two games.

Interesting. No native speaker though, so I might not hear the bad things. But to me FF7 voice acting sounds professional while the Shenmue 3 voice acting sounds cringe worthy, just like the first 2 games.
It sounds like an anime dub to me, which usually sounds pretty bad.

Corey isn't a professionnal actor at first. I mean, he's genuinely a great guy, but yeah... that's the nostalgia factor.

We all have our echo chambers and that's ok, but I really do find the narrative some push that "E3 previews were a disaster" utterly ridiculous, given how the huge majority of previews were either positive or mixed at worst. Some of the hyperpole that came about was ridiculous, when you have the guys from Digital Foundry - who, whilst Shenmue fans or not, actually know what they're talking about - claiming it looked and played fine.

Yea sigh, and as for the general state, what are they expecting, Yu Sazuki Isn't going to put some of the story segments into his demos. There was supposedly a little snippet he couldn't avoid to show off the fighting(probally not even full on real story, but more like a event cutscene), and he didn't even like having that in the demo.

This is probally why no one got to test any of the QTE scenarios in the game, as they tend to be story based, along with the general gameplay flow(you really can't show that, without showing off whole portions of the story).

@danielmann861 Jeff from GB just hates Shenmue (as we all know) and has been a detractor ever since the KS was announced, unsurprisingly. The way he brashly dismisses it as a terrible idea is strange to see from an industry vet, but I guess everybody has their biases, and Jeff's held onto his for 18 years now so I doubt he's ever going to change.

I thought his comments at E3 about people saying it was "the worst demo they'd ever seen" seemed...exagerrated? Like, he enjoyed announcing that a bit too much. Especially when Alex was just like, "yeah, it wasn't great"...but then he really didn't have much to say about it at all, like it was more inoffensive than bad to him.

It sucks that someone influential like that shits on Shenmue but what can you do. I've heard similarly dismissive and juvenile comments from Patrick Klepek, among others, but at this point I'm just like...whatever. Go enjoy the trash you enjoy, and I'll enjoy Shenmue.

Yeah, I know all about Jeff’s hate boner for Shenmue.

Honestly, I don’t really pay too much attention to Giant Bomb’s opinions as a whole. They’re a bit too cynical as a whole for my liking (at times). Plus I think their best years are long behind them. Not that this has anything to do with Shenmue, but I think their output in recent years has been pretty lame. Every time I watch them now, I just get the feeling they don’t have passion for the industry anymore and are doing the job just because they don’t know what else to do with themselves.

You compare their recent output to the whiskey media days and it feels so lifeless and dull now. Their cynical cool kid shtick has kind of lost its appeal to me and now it feels like they’ve crossed the line into straight up bitter jadedness.

Anyways, I know all about Jeff’s hate boner for Shenmue so the comment didn’t surprise me. But the point is don’t be surprised when some outlets do inevitably shit on the game no matter what.

Yeah, I know all about Jeff’s hate boner for Shenmue.

Honestly, I don’t really pay too much attention to Giant Bomb’s opinions as a whole. They’re a bit too cynical as a whole for my liking (at times). Plus I think their best years are long behind them. Not that this has anything to do with Shenmue, but I think their output in recent years has been pretty lame. Every time I watch them now, I just get the feeling they don’t have passion for the industry anymore and are doing the job just because they don’t know what else to do with themselves.

You compare their recent output to the whiskey media days and it feels so lifeless and dull now. Their cynical cool kid shtick has kind of lost its appeal to me and now it feels like they’ve crossed the line into straight up bitter jadedness.

Anyways, I know all about Jeff’s hate boner for Shenmue so the comment didn’t surprise me. But the point is don’t be surprised when some outlets do inevitably shit on the game no matter what.

Yea, frankly aside from RPG site(atleast they understand context, and game mechanics), main stream outlets are going to trash Shenmue 3, rather It's the lack of handholding or the fact Shenmue 3 Isn't a mindless hack, n slash guilty pleasure game, they're going to slam Shenmue 3 hard. Nevermind any political agenda they feel like pushing atm sigh, so yea there's no way they are going to fairly rate Shenmue 3 at all.

Y
Thanks a lot for the friendly offer. :) Unfortunately it came to late. I have already bought my copy of D2 on eBay.
Yeah thats okey Sorry I read it to late that u already get the Jp Edition of the Game because some guys told u that it is really cheap to buy. Thank u 4 the reply...Hope u enjoy it then

Back