Has it been stated what language will be the original

Japanese or English

As some anime shows like castlevania and afro samurai or highlander vengeance are English from the get go

Anyone know or care to speculate what the situation will be I would assume Japanese would be the best way to go " for me it would anyway " but with it having adult swim involved they could make English the primary language and if so I wonder if Cory marshal will be the voice of ryu or if they will go with a more commercial union anime actor like Troy baker or something

It's pretty much guaranteed to have an English dub, since it will be broadcasted on TV in the US.

It will likely also have a Japanese cast, since Sega of Japan announced the anime on their twitter account, but that's not really confirmed. They could choose to do just about anything, but I think the smart money is on it being done the typical way of Japanese to English.

Taking into account the fact that a Sega-owned studio in Japan is producing the animation, I'd guess the original version will be with Japanese VA, the English dub will then follow.

Yeah, I suspect the original VA will be in Japanese with an English dub done after.

If given the choice, would you guys rather watch subbed or dubbed?

Dub for me. But im guessing sub will release first, so ill have go with that on the first watchthrough

It's a tricky one. Whenever I'm watching a foreign piece of media, I always prefer to watch in the original language with subtitles; even if an English dub is available.

But in the case of Shenmue, I think I'd make an exception if the choice is given.

Yeah, I suspect the original VA will be in Japanese with an English dub done after.

If given the choice, would you guys rather watch subbed or dubbed?
I'll go with whatever the original lip synch is for but I'm hoping that it will be the Japanese as the original
Also I find English dubs really distracting and never sound right especially when it comes to anime

For me it 100% depends on the setting and where the game was developed.
So for example i would never ever play a Yakuza game in any other voice language than japanese,
i would never ever play a Red Dead Redemption game in any other voice language than english,
i would never ever watch a movie or documentary about germans in WW 1 or 2
in any other voice language than german.

Exceptions are fantasy games for example. Like Dragon Age, Mass Effect
or movies like Lord of the Rings. Even something like Nier Automata or Final Fantasy 7 Remake,
japanese ... english, it doesnt really matter. Those are things that i can play or watch dubbed.
Series like One Piece always in japanese with subs.

It can get complicated with some things, for example Shenmue 2.
It makes sense to play Shenmue 1 in japanese because Ryo is japanese,
the setting is Japan, the developer is japanese.
But then theres Shenmue 2 and it all falls apart because Ryo is in Hongkong
or the chinese countryside but everyone is speaking japanese.
But english also doesnt make a lot of sense because then all of a sudden everyone on this planet speaks english.

So in this example i prefer the japanese voices because the studio is japanese
and overall japanese still matches the setting more than english.

Subbed. I did play Shenmue 1 & 2 in English as I'm an American, but I couldn't stomach the English dub in Shenmue 3 after playing through and enjoying the Yakuza series in Japanese. I also much rather hear a Japanese dub when I'm watching Japanese characters, though to be fair 99% of Shenmue 3's cast is Chinese. I like foreign film, etc. though, so I've been accustomed to subtitles for a long time.

I'm dub only with any type of media, even live action so it's not even a question for me. Dubbed all the way baby.

I’ll probably watch both but sub >>>>

if the dub is anything like the games‘ voice acting then I’d be very disappointed. Yeah sure, it’s nostalgic but objectively speaking it’s not very good.

I’ll probably watch both but sub >>>>

if the dub is anything like the games‘ voice acting then I’d be very disappointed. Yeah sure, it’s nostalgic but objectively speaking it’s not very good.
I think they need to steer away from the games dubs in terms of direction of the english actors.

Let them, whoever it is, really take the roles on and make them their own.

Yeah, I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I really would be fine with a brand new voice cast for the anime. I'm viewing this and the games as separate entities. I don't really want it to be a 1:1 match to the games. It would actually be pretty refreshing to see a slightly different take on the characters.

I love Suzuki dearly, but keep him far away from the English dub direction of the anime and any future Shenmue games. The man is very talented but he needs to know where his weaknesses are and leave it to the pros.

Back