Has Yu spoke about his feelings on the games coming back out?

Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Elden Ring
Just curious if he has spoken on it..I haven't found anything of substance. I would imagine he is quite happy.

I don't think he's been interviewed since the announcement in April, so the only public acknowledgment has been the recent Shenmue III update that referred all Shenmue I & II queries to Sega.

The success of I & II HD has increased the chances of a Shenmue IV exponentially, so I imagine he's pretty pleased.

My question is what are his thoughts on this broken version they released to the public? A perfect response would be Suzuki would be rolling over in his grave... except hes still alive! He's probably losing sleep, and this seems to be a rough week for many wanting to play the new versions. If Suzuki had been in charge of these re-releases you know this would not have happened, too bad he couldnt even be involved. There is still alot of questions I am having about Shenmue I and II HD, Sega giving the license to Suzuki to make Shenmue 3. There are so many things that dont add up. Ugh...

I wonder if he's a little salty over the fact Sega is cashing in on his games after refusing to fund the 3rd installment for 18 years.
If he's upset it's likely that Sega let the ports release in their current state. Kind of takes a dump on the meticulous work he did.

I wonder if he's a little salty over the fact Sega is cashing in on his games after refusing to fund the 3rd installment for 18 years.
I doubt it, considering he was able to license the series from Sega.

My question is what are his thoughts on this broken version they released to the public?
kYR4ZD0.png

The current state must be painful for him to see, yeah. For a man that strives for perfection, seeing his baby like that...
If only he had some time to give advice to the porting team. But better he just keeps working on III.

I doubt he's losing any sleep over it.

"Did they do a good job?" he'll ask. "There are some bugs in the release build," someone will say. "Are they fixing it with updates?" "I believe so." "Good. Now where's my coffee?" "You said you didn't want one."

kYR4ZD0.png

I'm sure if anything, he is just excited that the games were released on modern platforms to give people the ability to experience the entire series without having to own multiple consoles. Having access to the original games can help sales on Shenmue III, and I'm pretty sure that's what he is focused on right now.

I don't think he's said anything new just yet, specifically, but I think it's telling that he released the new Shenmue 3 trailer and release date on Shenmue HD's release day for marketing synergy. That alone indicates to me he's generally happy about it.

He perfecting Unreal Engine to make Shenmue III once that is down they could use that engine to Make Shenmue IV and perhaps Shenmue V then Remake Shenmue I & II

He's a Japanese man who got his new game's assets from his ex-employer.
... Not exactly about to start a Twitter war with Sega/ D3T using Patrick Stewart facepalm memes over missing cutscenes.

While I don' t think he's said anything publicly yet, sadly, we'll never know how he truly feels on the subject. I'm guessing a mix of emotions, which includes being happy to see the game resurrected from the dead. Who knows what else.

I would love to see him involved with the original Shenmues again someday. It's his magnum opus. Perhaps once the series is finished, he'll be able to revisit the first two games and give them the proper treatment they deserve.

Back