Helpful info for move training in Shenmue HD (New progress bars/How long to master/Fully maxed)

XBL
Billkwando
If you played Shenmue on DC, you may recall that when training your moves, there would be a shaded "preview" over your existing progress on the move bar, to show you how much progress you just immediately made while training the move. In the current version of Shenmue, there is no shading, so you can only see how much progress you made the next morning, after your bedtime move training boost (which is unfortunate). Considering the current issues with the game (cutscene camera MIA) and the console versions being unpatched, it's probably a good time to slow down and work on your moves.

If you are not familiar with move training in Shenmue, certain moves "evolve" once trained to a certain point, gaining additional frames of animation, an extra attack, or changing entirely. For example, the Mud Spider starts off as a sad little move where you slide along the ground and do a little leg kick upward. Once evolved, Ryo does a handspring off the ground, delivering a kick to the face, a bit like Terry Bogard's "Rising Tackle", if you know Fatal Fury/King of Fighters. FYI: Throw moves can't be trained solo, but you can try to put the moves on Fuku-san, while sparring.

cojfIrd.png

It appears that the moves that evolve do so when the bar hits the halfway point and changes color to orange. The screenshots below are from 5 consecutive days of training the moves Dark Moon, Mud Spider, and Crawl Cyclone, all day, doing all three moves, 10 times each, per practice session (30 moves total), until 10pm (restarting training after the nightfall sequence, which stops you).

lDk7ejD.png

Day 2

URwnwcj.png

Day 3

MTOdlzU.png

Day 4

gKQCFju.png

Day 5

There are only 4 shots, as the 1st shot was taken the morning after Day 1 of my day-long training sessions. As you can see, once the move is fully maxed out, it turns red (and hopefully is much stronger, lol).

I know not everyone is insane or masochistic enough to go through the trouble of maxing out moves, or will do so at a much slower pace, so I thought I would post some pics and info so everyone has some idea what to expect (and some idea of how glacially slow it is, lol). You MIGHT be able to max out a single move, by doing it all day, in a day or two. Maybe. :p

Also, I find the best place to practice (if your goal is grinding the same moves quickly) is by running to the doorway of Sakuragaoka Park, after you've initiated the practice sequence, so you're basically always facing right (see first pic), and don't get turned around.

Also, a fun fact that your hands might know but your head might not: If the camera manages to work its way behind Ryo, a move like the Double Blow (Forward X+A) suddenly becomes UP X+A! I always did it instinctively, and never consciously realized it was that way until recently.

Anyway, I hope this info is helpful!

Bill :D

Last edited:
I was doing this mastered crawl cyclone, beat Chai at the arcade spamming it. LOL Weird thing is I used to find him near imposiible in the DC this version he just seemed much more easier. I train so that I'm hitting the left stick so you auto continue and for the more advanced moves I use the up, down tech. The worse thing is when you quit training from spamming left right moves and have to waste 30 in game mins gettting back into training.

But have you noticed any weird things like this, since you're crazy like me:
Now I got stab armor learnt and I spent the whole day spamming it either through the up down down punch+kick or left right right punch+kick. Of course the move did the glitch where it levels up and he takes a knee when pulling it off. Weirdly I slept and the bar didn't move at all. (Note:I didn't set training just left it on all moves equally from days before) since I spent a whole day training and the bar didn't move the next day I saved and turned it off, for a break and to calm myself. I will update after the 2nd sleep if it moves but I'm not actively gonna practice that one and I needed a break since it pissed me off that my 40mins of spamming the same move might be for naught.

I also had the happen when I was training crawl cyclone/mud spider and twin swallow leap I spent 4 hours repating each move.(I know insane) slept didn't seem to move much. Though I was kinda unsure, but then after the following night they all jumped like crazy from half to max/near max.
The problem with no indication how much the move is leveling is you can't really tell WTF your training and how much it should be leveling and I'm not sure if I'm just going crazy since some moves seem to level up and sometimes not at all. I can't tell what is causing it. Like is it that I have to set training everynight or something. Anyway let me know if you noticed anything like this. If it is just a weird delay or something is bugging out.

lpshen_09_04.jpg

In the old game you'd get a a bit of blue showing how much the move was gonna level.

hqdefault.jpg

This shows the old S2 moves menu and it seems that the port is based on this menu, so perhaps they can't show training the same due to using that and how it funtions differently.

Back