Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
Hello.

I'm after a decent Hex editor so that I can implement the fix by @Switch to access the Shenmue passport.

I've got the GDI files all ready to go.

Cheers

I like HxD. Slightly buggy at times but it's the best otherwise.

https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php
I'll 2nd this one. HxD has been my go-to Hex editor on Windows for over 10 years. I use it at home, at work, in Virtual Machines, etc. The biggest advantage it has is that unlike other hex editors like xvi32 mentioned above, HxD supports editing files larger than 2GB. It doesn't load entire files into memory, but instead in virtual chunks so if you're making edits to large files memory use isn't much more than the region you actually modified.

The only problem I've ever noticed is that the scroll bar gets messed up with very large files. If you scroll past a certain point by dragging the scroll bar it has a tendency to snap back to where you started. It's because of the virtual chunks thing I mentioned above and there are multiple ways around it. Either by scrolling a little bit letting go then scrolling down more, right clicking the scroll bar and picking one of the options like "Top" or "Bottom" if you want to go to a specific spot, using the search feature, go to location feature, or keyboard to scroll, etc.

Of course, if you're never going to edit large files, then you don't need it. It's a common use case for me, and HxD is one of very few free options that handle large files well.

Back