Hidden Gems! PS2 / DC / +

blixt

Banned
I made this thread for you to share your favorite 💎 Hidden Gems 💎 for the PS2 - and for the Dreamcast because most of us own one.

I'd like to focus more on PS2 since it has a massive library of games. PS1 games can also be mentioned.
( Actually, if you really want to mention a game from another Console, or PC, then it's totally OK. - But it better be good! )

Games that were: Overseen, Underrated, Forgotten, or Rare games worth playing, even today.
There are tons of undiscovered games that didn't get enough attention when they were released.

Optional, but I kindly ask you to:

* Post a Game Cover image. This makes it easier to recognise the game.

Embed a Video. For example, a review. This makes it easier to quickly check the game's appearance and its features.

Name the game and the platform(s) it was released for. You can also mention improved versions, remasters, or remakes.

* Mention what's unique, special, and good about this game. Or in other words why you like it.

Last edited:
I’m afraid I probably don’t have much to offer, especially having only had a Dreamcast very briefly and only really getting into PS2 games after the popularity died down, much of my time with it at first being spent almost exclusively in GTA: San Andreas. But I guess I’ll try despite not knowing whether these were actually ever unknown or not.

One in particular was Chulip, a very strange game but the basic premise was that you had to go around kissing everyone in town in some weird effort to learn how to woo your crush. Basically, take the time system from Majora’s Mask and make the entire game based around the NPCs quirks and schedules. I have not been through the whole thing but most of what I played is kinda disturbing but also very charming. I believe you can download it for PS3.

Another game by the same developer is Rule of Rose, and it’s much more in the horror genre, a la Silent Hill only most of the scary stuff has to do with kids. And not your typical ghost children either, but rather dealing with stuff like bullying gone too far or abuse or brainwashing, a lot of stuff I shouldn’t say probably. The only thing is it’s a bit of a harder sell with some of the gameplay feeling awful, but for me personally the story was one of my favorites of its genre. Sadly I think it’s stuck on PS2.

God Hand I think is a bit more well known now, I don’t really know about back when it was first released other than that IGN gave it a 3 but apparently they were an outlier. Basically it’s a 3D beat-em-up from before Clover became Platinum and between it and Ōkami, basically two polar opposites in tone, it may well be my favorite by them. A silly story that doesn’t bombard you with long cutscenes or dialogue, really funny stuff for what is there, but mostly it’s just focused on raw gameplay with a dynamic difficulty system, as well as a ton of different jabs and strikes and uppercuts and other kinds of moves that you can completely customize into your own combos and button configs that add a lot of depth to it. As much as I might like Bayonetta or Nier Automata or Metal Gear Rising, etc., I really think they had a great idea and pulled it off perfectly with this. It should still be up for download on PS3.

The King of Fighters 2002 (DC, probably also PS2) - I've always been more of a Capcom than an SNK guy, but this is an absolute masterpiece. Also I largely prefer it over the overrated KoF 98.

Under Defeat (DC) - A brilliant 2D shmup game with lovely character design, great music and challenging, but never unfair level design. Largely overshadowed by the legendary Ikaruga, this is a game every one with a love for shooters should try.

Killer 7 (PS2) - No idea if this can be called a hidden gem, but since it is very niche I included it here. Never thought that a story-driven rail shooter could work so well. A vintage dose of that Goichi Suda weirdness.

As we've discussed Shadow of Memories is what 1st comes to mind, feel free to join the discuss on that game here.

The Bouncer
I. LOVE. THIS. GAME!
It's pretty much what a Triple-A Streets of Rage game for the era. Yes, it is short and can be beaten within 2-3 hours but its a great time and still has the narrative you'd expect from Squaresoft titles intact. Depending on who you chose gives you a different perspective of the story events so it's fun to play at least 3 times around.

Crash Twinsanity
With the recent release of Crash Bandicoot 4 purposefully making this none canon, I fee lthis really does need more love. It was a struggled development but what we're left with is a fantastic game. It has one fo the funniest scripts in gaming with genuine laugh out loud moments. The level design is more open world but it works surprising well. Also it's easily the biggest attempt at exploring Crash Bandicoot's world/lore - Highly recommend.

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Like the Bouncer, another great Beat Em Up game with decent production value - Also, it's Co-op!

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Often overlooked due to being a sort of Reboot to Silent Hill 1, but to be honest beyond the similar opening the game is VERY different and a unique experience in it's own Merit. The story is really compelling and like Until Dawn you met with a psychiatrist between chapters to discuss story events and decisions you make in these sessions change the outcome of the next area. Really worth a play, but I will say the graphics on the Wii version are a welcome improvement.

That is a great idea. Got into PS2 gaming again recently with Japanese Ps2 and I am also looking for hidden gems.

For DC Games.

I would consider Carrier a hidden gem for sure. It got into the Shadows of RE Code Veronica. It is not as good as RE CV that is for sure but it is still a decent Survival Horror Game . RE Fans could have lots of fun with it.

Another rather unknown title for the DC is Headhunter. A nice open wordlish action adventure game.

Kessen III:

I sincerely believe this was the Peak era of Tecmo Koei's art-house masterpieces. I've never seen them produced another title reaching this level of story-telling,drama,political theatre, and culturally rich(w/ bad endearing eng dub) cast of characters/setting plus an amazing soundtrack score attached. I still dream of a kessen IV with the cast of ROTK.

Grow-Lanser Heritage of wars:

It's a classic. I wish someday someone would do justice and fan-patch the sequel or officially localize it. I wanna know how it ends. This entry was done dirty by only releasing the first half. Plus I'm a fan of Satoshi Urushihara's artwork.

>hack//infection series

It was at one point in time a multi-media hit. Then after the dust has settle it's taken its place among the cult classics. I hope Cyberconnect do the gears trilogy and offer the 4th World iteration one day. It's always a pleasure to visit each variation of the world and listen to the over-world themes.

Shadow Hearts: from the new world

Not the entry I've wanted, but I still fondly enjoy the Parody of American 20'-30's mob culture and globe-trotting all around North and South America. Also, one of the most hilarious cast of misfit I've ever had the joy of watching. Frank being my personal fav.

Haunting Ground:

Don't sleep on one of Capcom's underrated horror gem. The relationship management between a Dog and you being the key to surviving the nightmare is rare in the horror genre.

------------------------------------

To keep this post from getting any longer I'll end it here. I'll be up to discuss more if some of these become a fav among your tastes as well. :)

Awesome, I'm so happy this thread gained so much interest!

I have Rugue Galaxy in my collection and I highly, highly recommend it. It is also available for PS4 (only download I think).
It's a JRPG but very different and unique. It has beautiful environments. I got stuck.. far into this game many years ago and gave up. I'm thinking about trying it again. Because it was such a good game and it's one of those forgotten games that never got the attention it deserved. It got like an 8 out of 10 when it came out. If I remebered this correctly.

For PS2 the most overlooked series IMO is Kojima's Zone of the Enders games, specially the second one. It feels like a PlatinumGames title, as not many pure Mecha action focused games stand out in my mind as much as them. Another interesting game is Disaster Report (Raw Danger). Think of it as a precursor to adventure games like Until Dawn with its free flowing "multiple path" structure. The Forbidden Siren games are pretty interesting Resident Evil-like games too. Another favorite of mine, though not an exclusive, is Outrun 2 Coast to Coast which improves on the original Yu Suzuki game in every aspect, but it has never been given the spotlight to current platforms like the original game. If you are into shmups, some Cave/Taito games stayed only on PS2 like Ibara and GigaWing Generations.

As for the Dreamcast Berserk: Gut's Rage is pretty underrated. I believe this game is the first competent 3D action brawler (Hack n' slash) made as it precedes Team Ninja's Ninja Gaiden and Capcom's DMC series. Besides having multiple paths depending on your actions, it has an unique tactical mechanic to the game as your avatar's main weapon is a giant sword which it can only be effectively used in open spaces and wielding it in tight spaces with walls around resuts the sword attack bouncing back (except from a full rage meter activation).
I believe Illbleed and D2 are survival horrors that are not that well known. Illbleed in particular takes the idea of using of a camera as a tool for exploration before Fatal Frame did.

That is a great idea. Got into PS2 gaming again recently with Japanese Ps2 and I am also looking for hidden gems.

For DC Games.

I would consider Carrier a hidden gem for sure. It got into the Shadows of RE Code Veronica. It is not as good as RE CV that is for sure but it is still a decent Survival Horror Game . RE Fans could have lots of fun with it.

Another rather unknown title for the DC is Headhunter. A nice open wordlish action adventure game.
Oh. yes that game, Headhunter. One of those games I saw the cover of many times but I never bought it. It looks interesting, especially for it's time.

(I bought a PS2 Silver with a Silver controller from a second hand shop. It came with Burnout 3. It's not a hidden gem. But It was actually a very fun game to play. I'm surprised. I got used to the ´blurry´ graphics. Not having 1080p isn't that much of a problem.)

(
A non-PS2 forgotten Gem according to me is Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate for the first Xbox. I think they just nailed it when they made that game. So many costumes and no DLC! -that I feel have ruined modern gaming to a large extent. I have the game but not an Xbox.)

Oh. yes that game, Headhunter. One of those games I saw the cover of many times but I never bought it. It looks interesting, especially for it's time.

(I bought a PS2 Silver with a Silver controller from a second hand shop. It came with Burnout 3. It's not a hidden gem. But It was actually a very fun game to play. I'm surprised. I got used to the ´blurry´ graphics. Not having 1080p isn't that much of a problem.)

(
A non-PS2 forgotten Gem according to me is Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate for the first Xbox. I think they just nailed it when they made that game. So many costumes and no DLC! -that I feel have ruined modern gaming to a large extent. I have the game but not an Xbox.)
Both great games! I didn't know it until very recently but the XBOX Ultimate release of Dead OR Alive 1 & 2 are backwards compatible on the 360! Both games look and play perfect too! DOA2 is my favourite from the series too (But DOA5 is still very competent on PS4). Burnout 3 Takedown is also BC on 360 too so that's how I play them on my current setup

@Vivi-gamer Yes DOA 2 is my favourite Dead or Alive game as well. The Xbox Version of it runs really well. Getting another Version of DOA 1 is also nice. I own all 3 of them. The Box Remaster, the PS1 and the Saturn Version. For some reasons that cannot explained by logic I like the Saturn Version the most. But the Xbox Remaster and the PS1 Version are not bad as well.

The PS1 Version makes the characters look really good what I like a lot. I am not a fan of the PS1 Backgrounds though. There were downgraded a lot.

Missed this thread; Headhunter is bomb, a fantastic game.

- Intuitive controls
- Great story
- Tight gameplay mechanics
- Lots to see and do
- The greatest in-game ads ever XD

I can write another post at-length for the DC, but I don't have the time now :( Maybe tomorrow ;)

Games I most looking forward to when I finally use my BBA for backup and adopt terraonion Mode with SSD

Headhunter
Half Life
Shenmue l+ll
Chronicles of Pern
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 (minor drops due to open nature of the highway)
Evil Twin
Phantasy Star Online
Omikron
Soldier of Fortune (don't even own anymore, but might re-buy finally)

For a game "of its era", I'd argue Die Hard Vendetta has become somewhat of a hidden gem, though it got a lot of exposure around the time. Probably a shit game to go back to now, but as someone who was once obsessed with Die Hard, I fucking loved it, and it had some decent ideas.

I remember goin round Nakatomi Plaza scrutinising every single detail. They got the odd thing wrong (no doubt for gameplay/performance reasons), but on the whole it was quite faithfully reproduced. Worth it for that level alone, imo.

For a game "of its era", I'd argue Die Hard Vendetta has become somewhat of a hidden gem, though it got a lot of exposure around the time. Probably a shit game to go back to now, but as someone who was once obsessed with Die Hard, I fucking loved it, and it had some decent ideas.

I remember goin round Nakatomi Plaza scrutinising every single detail. They got the odd thing wrong (no doubt for gameplay/performance reasons), but on the whole it was quite faithfully reproduced. Worth it for that level alone, imo.
Interesting! I didn't know about that one. They made it for GameCube, PS2, Xbox. Which version did you play / prefer?

Breakdown - Xbox - developed by Namco (yes, another Xbox game but this game was so underrated and unique.)

I'm kind of tired of FPS games in general but this game was different and it has that aged charm to it.
I sold it (I regret selling a lot of games in my life) and will buy it again in the future for a re-play. There are some very good playthroughs of this game on Censorutbe aka YouTube.

A fun detail was that you had to eat rations, hamburgers, drink soda and more to fill your stamina bar (everything animated). To pickup ammo you had to look down on it and actually pick ut up. You kick and punch in first person. You never leave the first person perspective, not even during the cutscenes. You will also see some details/parts in the game where the creators got inspired by the Matrix film.

The environments are a littlebit grey and lack detailed textures for beig an original xbox game but dispite that I think it looks quite good. It gives you room for exploration and there are a some interesting things to see while exploring.
It could have been so much more if it had that extra $$$.

It has a strange ´auto-aim´ system when shooting enemies but other than that it's good dispite its flaws. It got about 7/10 when it came out. I enjoyed the game and if you like shooters you should try it out. Unfortunately this game never got a sequel. I liked the ideas in this game. I liked their strive for rediculous realism on a limited budget!

- I'd also like to add that playing older games not only saves your wallet (if you want to play physical versions), it brings back old memories, you can explore ´lost´ game ideas that were good, you don't have to deal with the nightmare-ish DLC ruining your experience (and your wallet, again), and much more. I saw a YT-clip of modern day kids/teenagers trying out GoldenEye for N64, and I was surprised how much they enjoyed such an old game the same way I did when I was about the same age. After playing the ´blurry´ PS2 resolution/graphics for a longer period I switched and played some fighting games for PS4 and in contrast, the games looks almost ´too sharp´ and too ´clean´, and I'm only talking 1080p here. I've realized that there is so much more than just graphics and resolution to games. It' the overall design, controls, story, music, atmosphere and so forth. Just saying :p

Interesting! I didn't know about that one. They made it for GameCube, PS2, Xbox. Which version did you play / prefer?
Gamecube version's the one I played. They claimed it was an exclusive, but was just a timed release. Ended up getting it on Xbox or PS2 because those versions had multiplayer, but never even bothered trying it.

I'm sure there'll be a YouTube comparison video out there that declares the winner in a graphical/performance battle.

Breakdown - Xbox - developed by Namco (yes, another Xbox game but this game was so underrated and unique.)

I'm kind of tired of FPS games in general but this game was different and it has that aged charm to it.
I sold it (I regret selling a lot of games in my life) and will buy it again in the future for a re-play. There are some very good playthroughs of this game on Censorutbe aka YouTube.

A fun detail was that you had to eat rations, hamburgers, drink soda and more to fill your stamina bar (everything animated). To pickup ammo you had to look down on it and actually pick ut up. You kick and punch in first person. You never leave the first person perspective, not even during the cutscenes. You will also see some details/parts in the game where the creators got inspired by the Matrix film.

The environments are a littlebit grey and lack detailed textures for beig an original xbox game but dispite that I think it looks quite good. It gives you room for exploration and there are a some interesting things to see while exploring.
It could have been so much more if it had that extra $$$.

It has a strange ´auto-aim´ system when shooting enemies but other than that it's good dispite its flaws. It got about 7/10 when it came out. I enjoyed the game and if you like shooters you should try it out. Unfortunately this game never got a sequel. I liked the ideas in this game. I liked their strive for rediculous realism on a limited budget!

- I'd also like to add that playing older games not only saves your wallet (if you want to play physical versions), it brings back old memories, you can explore ´lost´ game ideas that were good, you don't have to deal with the nightmare-ish DLC ruining your experience (and your wallet, again), and much more. I saw a YT-clip of modern day kids/teenagers trying out GoldenEye for N64, and I was surprised how much they enjoyed such an old game the same way I did when I was about the same age. After playing the ´blurry´ PS2 resolution/graphics for a longer period I switched and played some fighting games for PS4 and in contrast, the games looks almost ´too sharp´ and too ´clean´, and I'm only talking 1080p here. I've realized that there is so much more than just graphics and resolution to games. It' the overall design, controls, story, music, atmosphere and so forth. Just saying :p
This has been on my backlog for a while, the good news is it is backwards compatible on the XBOX 360 and looks pretty decent. I have a flood of PS4 games atm but you've caught my interest with it :)

Back