Hidden Gems! PS2 / DC / +

This has been on my backlog for a while, the good news is it is backwards compatible on the XBOX 360 and looks pretty decent. I have a flood of PS4 games atm but you've caught my interest with it :)
By the way Vivi-gamer, how do you prefer playing your PS2 games? Are you doing it on a physical console or through an emulator? I have the emulator downloaded but I've never used it. I have no clue where to find any games for it. I prefer using the original console but some games are so darn difficult to find that it's just easier to use an emulator to play them.
Some games are said to work even better on an emulator, like aiming with a weapon in Time Splitters 1 or 2.

By the way Vivi-gamer, how do you prefer playing your PS2 games? Are you doing it on a physical console or through an emulator? I have the emulator downloaded but I've never used it. I have no clue where to find any games for it. I prefer using the original console but some games are so darn difficult to find that it's just easier to use an emulator to play them.
Some games are said to work even better on an emulator, like aiming with a weapon in Time Splitters 1 or 2.
Oh the woe I have for the PS2. It's an epic tale of tragedy! Sadly I don't have any deal method to play PS2 games - And I've certainly tried too! I simply haven't found a good method to play PS2 games on my HDTV yet.

I have a backwards compatible PS3 but it sounds like a jet engine when I use it so I have to use a 5M cable and keep it in another room - It's not very accessible though and something I get out for special occasions.

I tried the POUND PS2 HDMI cable... it was awful and looked no better. I've also tried using cheat discs to expand the resolution and had very mixed results.

My current best way to access PS2 games is this...
1608017715726.jpeg
Don't get me wrong it's cute! But as a way to experience Triple-A PS2 productions it's hardly Ideal. You can put in some Earphones to the monitor to make it more immersive so it's not bad. But much like the BC PS3 it's not something I have out at all times and is in storage.

Some games are backwards compatible on the XBOX 360 - Crash Twinsanity, Burnout 3 Takedown, the Shenmue II port it sitll my ideal way to play the game! But I don't have many really.

At this point I'm not morally opposed to Emulation, if the games aren't accessible on modern setups and Emulation offers a better way to do so, then I am al for it. My PC is nothing fancy, I bought it online as a refurbished model for £100. However, I've learnt recently it can play a PSP Emulator flawessly which was a nice surprise! Sadly I don't think it is strong enough for PS2 Emulation (I've yet to try it to be fair)

I actully love the Pound cable.... for 30 bucks--if properly seated far away like any HD games nowadays--and a bit of fine tuned TV settings, I'm happy. Better than Hyperkin, whcich IIRC dont even have the USB power to assist the upscaling.

Doesn't mean perfect and I'm still planning to buy an mClassic eventually, mind :D

Oh the woe I have for the PS2. It's an epic tale of tragedy! Sadly I don't have any deal method to play PS2 games - And I've certainly tried too! I simply haven't found a good method to play PS2 games on my HDTV yet.

I have a backwards compatible PS3 but it sounds like a jet engine when I use it so I have to use a 5M cable and keep it in another room - It's not very accessible though and something I get out for special occasions.

I tried the POUND PS2 HDMI cable... it was awful and looked no better. I've also tried using cheat discs to expand the resolution and had very mixed results.

My current best way to access PS2 games is this...
View attachment 9973
Don't get me wrong it's cute! But as a way to experience Triple-A PS2 productions it's hardly Ideal. You can put in some Earphones to the monitor to make it more immersive so it's not bad. But much like the BC PS3 it's not something I have out at all times and is in storage.

Some games are backwards compatible on the XBOX 360 - Crash Twinsanity, Burnout 3 Takedown, the Shenmue II port it sitll my ideal way to play the game! But I don't have many really.

At this point I'm not morally opposed to Emulation, if the games aren't accessible on modern setups and Emulation offers a better way to do so, then I am al for it. My PC is nothing fancy, I bought it online as a refurbished model for £100. However, I've learnt recently it can play a PSP Emulator flawessly which was a nice surprise! Sadly I don't think it is strong enough for PS2 Emulation (I've yet to try it to be fair)
Looks nice. Those slim ones in silver are pretty rare these days I think? I got the fat one in silver. I may sound crazy but I actually own 3 fat PS2 consoles.
When I was a teenager I ordered a silver one but they sent me a black one instead, which disappointed me. When I saw the fat one in silver during a visit to a second hand shop, I thought this time, you're mine. At the same place I also bought another black fat PS2 because it was like brand new. The controller was like 100% new.

I've also tried to improve the image quality but all the results I've seen wasn't that good and all that stuff just confuses me.

Xenosaga II (I, II, III for PS2) - I own the second game

https://www.lukiegames.com/assets/images/PS2/ps2_xenosaga_p_plywbr.jpg
https://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/52922-xenosaga-episode-ii-jenseits-von-gut-und-bose-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg
https://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/p2/x/e/xes3p20f.jpg
https://r.mprd.se/fup/up/150986-Xenosaga_Episode_III_-_Also_sprach_Zarathustra_(USA)_(Disc_1)-1.jpg

I never got my hands on all three games. I only have the 2nd in collectors edition, with a bonus dvd.
I always thought this series looked interesting and I liked the overall design, but the game was so difficult, I got stuck and never played it again. The second game isn't the best one they say. If anyone here have played the Xenosaga games, tell me what you think of the series. These games are pretty difficult to find I think. The third game was never released in Europe. Only Japan and North America. I would like to see an HD-release of all three games! Even better if they remade the whole series, but it will probably never happen. Anyway, cool triolgy. I'd like to play all three someday.

Always have wanted to play these games too but as we only ever got the 2nd part of a trilogy, I've never taken the time to invest in it. Very surprised we've not got a Remaster set of Xenosaga already. I've also heard that Xenogears on PS1 is a beast of a game, but that the 2nd disc tells the rest of the story with text and images, which sort of feels like a cop out.

I can vouch for Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii/Switch, probably the last top tier JRPG i've played - 10 years have since gone :p The sequels were a big let down, X felt stale and XC2's tone felt way off (Far too anime-ish in comparison).

When I tried to get into slow pace JRPGs as a pre-teen, I sunk my teeth into Xenosaga, but barely got 2 hours in before I realized it is a somewhat experienced game, which was daunting for me as a novice. Might've informed my tastes for much quicker turn base, such as Grandia 2 or Skies of Aradia. Cannot wait to finally get Yakuza 7, but I'm behind as it is with Zero-Kiwami 2.

Breakdown looks like a interesting game for sure. Never heard of back then but I am going to put onto my backlog list in case my original xbox or the 360 is still working.

Speaking of Xbox another game that might be worth a look might be Second sight.

It is a muliplatform game but I played on my xbox back then and ejoyed it. It was nice to play around with the supernatural abilities and the story was also quite good for the time.

Breakdown looks like a interesting game for sure. Never heard of back then but I am going to put onto my backlog list in case my original xbox or the 360 is still working.

Speaking of Xbox another game that might be worth a look might be Second sight.

It is a muliplatform game but I played on my xbox back then and ejoyed it. It was nice to play around with the supernatural abilities and the story was also quite good for the time.
Not played this in years, I went to check to see if the Xbox version is BC on 360, sadly it isn't mentioned:
List of Xbox games compatible with Xbox 360 | Xbox Wiki | Fandom

Ok good to know. Thanks for the info Viv-gamer. Then I will check out my original xbox before considering buying the game.

1608228517942.png

You get to hijack the minds of goombas and sadistically batter their mates to death before jumping off a tall building. Very therapeutic.

Always have wanted to play these games too but as we only ever got the 2nd part of a trilogy, I've never taken the time to invest in it. Very surprised we've not got a Remaster set of Xenosaga already. I've also heard that Xenogears on PS1 is a beast of a game, but that the 2nd disc tells the rest of the story with text and images, which sort of feels like a cop out.

I can vouch for Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii/Switch, probably the last top tier JRPG i've played - 10 years have since gone :p The sequels were a big let down, X felt stale and XC2's tone felt way off (Far too anime-ish in comparison).
Thanks for pointing that out. I thougt it was only the third game that we've never got. Too bad. Maybe someone knows how / where to download them for PCSX2. But I prefer having the original games. Yes, and Xenogears are said to be a masterpiece by some people. :D Just imagine a remaster / remake of that game. That would be awesome.
Xenoblade Chronicles series looks interesting but I haven't owned a nintendo console in a long time.

When I tried to get into slow pace JRPGs as a pre-teen, I sunk my teeth into Xenosaga, but barely got 2 hours in before I realized it is a somewhat experienced game, which was daunting for me as a novice. Might've informed my tastes for much quicker turn base, such as Grandia 2 or Skies of Aradia. Cannot wait to finally get Yakuza 7, but I'm behind as it is with Zero-Kiwami 2.
I totally forgot Grandia 2 existed! I remember how I really thought about buying it, but I never did. I was young and poor. It's as colorful as I remembered.
I also wanted to get Skies of Arcadia but never got that game either.. but I played it at my friends house, at that time.
What's the matter with Sega!? A remake or just a remaster would probably sell exceptionally well if they just did it!
There are quite a lot of gamers in their 30's or older who would play it.

If anyone here have played the Xenosaga games, tell me what you think of the series.
I've played all these games + XenoGears. I was a fan of XG when I was younger so I thought this would be a proper continuation/reboot that would flesh out the story line which was obviously unfinished.

Honestly, I don't think they're great games. They're average JRPG's at best, with a convoluted and uninteresting plot and tired tropes. Gameplay wise its run of the mill with a few gimmicks. The second game in particular is a slog because you have to "charge" all your attacks making every battle take so long and dragging out the game.

I was hopeful when I was playing these games, and I was in high school at the time so I was naive enough to believe that they would have some profound plot twists and was building up to this great ending/revelation but the third game is probably the worst in the series with a letdown of a conclusion.

They're not terrible games, but they're milquetoast JRPG's at best. There are so many other better JRPG's to sink your teeth into, I wouldn't waste my time with these ones. If you are still interested in the concepts of these games play XG instead. That game probably hasn't aged well and the plot is well, Evangalion so take from that what you will. If nothing else, XG is at least an ambitious game despite not being fully realized, so I give it credit for that.

I've played all these games + XenoGears. I was a fan of XG when I was younger so I thought this would be a proper continuation/reboot that would flesh out the story line which was obviously unfinished.

Honestly, I don't think they're great games. They're average JRPG's at best, with a convoluted and uninteresting plot and tired tropes. Gameplay wise its run of the mill with a few gimmicks. The second game in particular is a slog because you have to "charge" all your attacks making every battle take so long and dragging out the game.

I was hopeful when I was playing these games, and I was in high school at the time so I was naive enough to believe that they would have some profound plot twists and was building up to this great ending/revelation but the third game is probably the worst in the series with a letdown of a conclusion.

They're not terrible games, but they're milquetoast JRPG's at best. There are so many other better JRPG's to sink your teeth into, I wouldn't waste my time with these ones. If you are still interested in the concepts of these games play XG instead. That game probably hasn't aged well and the plot is well, Evangalion so take from that what you will. If nothing else, XG is at least an ambitious game despite not being fully realized, so I give it credit for that.
Thank you! for sharing your experience. I'm not overly bothered with how XenoGears has aged. You've made me more interested in that game. I may try it out. It's probably way easier to find than the Xenosaga games anyway. 🙂

Here's some more from me:

Obscure 1+2 is a really good niche Co-op horror game. Had a lot of fun on freakout Fridays with a few buddies of mine.

Champloo-Sidetracked:

A rythm-hack and slasher. Quirky indeed for a license game. Director+written by the eccentric Suda 51 of "killer7 & No more heroes" fame himself.

Musashi - Samurai Legend:

I want another entry! Dammit square! *erhm* When square used to be bold and experimental. Lots of flaws but fun. A few more sequels to iron out the gameplay's shortcomings and it'd be a solid IP. I hope it gets revisted and revived one day...if ever. :(

Just got this game yesterday on my xbox one s together with Breakdown

Have just played it for about an hour but it is really worth considering it a hidden game.

I can highly recommend it if you like acarde like flying games with lots of action. If you are a fan of the rogue squadron games for the n64 / Gamecube you should be able to enjoy it.

breakdown is also great fan so far. I really unique fighting system. Does some similar things a Mirrors Edge long time before Mirrors Edge was produced.

Just got this game yesterday on my xbox one s together with Breakdown

Have just played it for about an hour but it is really worth considering it a hidden game.

I can highly recommend it if you like acarde like flying games with lots of action. If you are a fan of the rogue squadron games for the n64 / Gamecube you should be able to enjoy it.

breakdown is also great fan so far. I really unique fighting system. Does some similar things a Mirrors Edge long time before Mirrors Edge was produced.
Nice! Yes I played the crap out of Rogue Squadron for the N64. Interesting game, I've never heard of Crimson Skies.
I think you will like Breakdown as a whole. I just wish they had more resources to make it better because parts of it felt empty and unfinished, but I still think they did some ground breaking stuff and it sounds like perhaps Mirrors Edge was inspired by Breakdown.

There are similarities between Mirrors Edge and Breakdown for sure. The combat system is somehow similar. But in total Mirrors Edge is more about platforming and running and not so much about combat. I am not very far into Breakdown though so maybe there will be more jumping elements later. I really enjoy breakdown so far. It is has a special flair and I also like the character design. I am sure i am going to have many more funny hours with that game.

You should give crimson skies a try if you can @blixt . A really nice action flying game with a cool alternative history setting. It has a great soundtrack too.

Back