How are you enjoying Shenmue 3 (No spoilers please)

In the same vein, I had to chuckle when I first heard the guy at the Rose Garden say ‘The entry fee is...this!’, and then the amount of tokens appears on screen 😛
Yeah, the prize exchange lady and pawn shop man in Bailu use similar phrasing to lead into the shop menu, and it just doesn't flow well. It feels very unnatural, probably because it's an extremely literal translation of the Japanese.

I don't mean to rag on it too hard because with Japanese VO turned on, this stuff really doesn't bother me much at all. Sadly, it just means I probably won't want to play the game in English any time soon.

In the same vein, I had to chuckle when I first heard the guy at the Rose Garden say ‘The entry fee is...this!’, and then the amount of tokens appears on screen 😛

It really annoyed me that if you didn't have enough tokens, it wouldn't tell you what the entry fee was :/ Unless I missed something?

Not finished it yet but I progressed the Story quite a bit and I am still loving it. The Stamina System is annoying but the Gameplay experience is still awesome. I really like the slow pace of the game. That is brilliant. You are not forced to rush through the game like your average modern day game. You are not overwhelmed by blinking Icons and other distractions that are so common in modern day gaming.

The Combat System is ok but I prefer the old one.

But in general S3 is still a great game, a true Sequel. But you have to be in the right mindset to play it. It is not like your average modern game where everything is scripted.

It is more like game that has the same rules then real life has. Things are not Happening like you want them to happen. you have to be Patient und you have work hard to buy some certain items you need to progress the Story.

I really love the fact that you can actually change Ryo’s clothes now. Actually, I really only like the ability to walk around in just his white t-shirt and jeans (his default outfit is too iconic for me to totally customize). I also think his walk and run cycle animations look better without the jacket since there isn’t any clipping and such.

The fighting engine may be different from the originals, and I really don’t like the lack of throws and the targeting system, but to me it still feels like a Shenmue-style fighting engine. Even in the originals, multiple opponent fights would leave you really scrambling around to find the best position since this was before the days of being able to counter enemies from any direction (Arkham-style). I do find myself button-mashing, and I also wish the button layout/inputs had a bit more logic to them, but I can’t really think of any better way they could’ve done it without losing any depth. The combination of button combo inputs for specific moves like a fighting game and inputs for simpler combos like a brawler is a hard line to walk. I hope the developers are really able to find the perfect system someday.

I have to voice my frustration about one aspect of Bailu because it's been on my mind:

Two sidequests I was very much enjoying -- the fishing stamps and Su's hilarious stories -- were abruptly ended when I unlocked the ability to leave Bailu. Su just stopped appearing, and the fishing guy said I ran out of time. Dunno if this was just coincidence or what. What's the point of letting me "wrap things up" in Bailu, so to speak, if I can't actually wrap things up?

The idea of sidequests being timed, or only available during arbitrary windows, sucks, to be honest. I didn't like it in the previous games but it feels a lot worse here because that shit's marked in your notebook and everything.

I have to voice my frustration about one aspect of Bailu because it's been on my mind:

Two sidequests I was very much enjoying -- the fishing stamps and Su's hilarious stories -- were abruptly ended when I unlocked the ability to leave Bailu. Su just stopped appearing, and the fishing guy said I ran out of time. Dunno if this was just coincidence or what. What's the point of letting me "wrap things up" in Bailu, so to speak, if I can't actually wrap things up?

The idea of sidequests being timed, or only available during arbitrary windows, sucks, to be honest. I didn't like it in the previous games but it feels a lot worse here because that shit's marked in your notebook and everything.
Noticed that happening with other quest as well. If you don't solve them in X amount of time it just ends up solving itself.

It runs counter to the whole "take the game at your own pace" thing that Shenmue is known for.

Back