How are you enjoying Shenmue 3 (No spoilers please)

Done more this evening. Did the chase QTE, and surprisingly I'm really not having any trouble with the QTEs. Granted they are still damn quick, but somehow I'm still hitting them. Makes me glad, I was worried it'd be ghost planks part 2!

Just met
Ren
and the great dialogue just started flowing. Loving it! Hit max attack power as well in training, so now its just a matter of leveling up my other move scrolls. Also reached a temple today and wow, that's one nicely textured temple - the thing that has continued to impress me throughout this game is just how incredibly well the games interior/locations/buildings look - both in terms of texturing and how damn clean they look, its one thing I'd probably give the game graphically over Yakuza easily, compare say the Tomato Mart in this to a Poppo Mart in Yakuza 7 - Shenmue has cleaner/sharper textures for items and magazines.

Also did more herb hunting and time wasting stuff to keep my funds up. No idea how long this game is, but I'm loving every minute of it and thankfully its not very difficult to play it slow to take it all in!

Still can't find that Chobu Chan bastard in Nihao Flower Shop though, no idea where the little bastard is hiding.

@shadowman16 I also just found Ren -- that was awesome -- and I also done his sidequest, although I'm not 100% sure if it's finished or not...

I am having a harder time with the QTEs, though. I'm only successful maybe 1/3 of the time (on new ones -- I'm fine if I know what's coming :p) but man, they seem stupidly quick on Normal.

@shadowman16 I also just found Ren -- that was awesome -- and I also done his sidequest, although I'm not 100% sure if it's finished or not...

I am having a harder time with the QTEs, though. I'm only successful maybe 1/3 of the time (on new ones -- I'm fine if I know what's coming :p) but man, they seem stupidly quick on Normal.
Yeah, he gets 100% of the best dialogue. I did that side story as well though didn't seem to finish it (but profited off it!)

QTE wise I'm good. I probably screw up as much as I always did, the only difference being there's less leeway for when you make mistakes (with previous QTEs giving you a couple of mistakes before you outright fail).

I've spent today actually getting on with the plot (some great fights), training more moves (got some ace combos) and also doing the Rose Garden fights - one on one fights are done and am now working on the 2 on 1 stuff which is a blast.

The lighting in the game is really impressing me, a certain fight that is sorta remenicenst to the area you first meet Ren has some fantastic lighting, once again I'm stunned at how damn nice this game looks in places for what is basically an expensive indie game.

Also, I think my basic opinion on this game is as follows: Shallow story (worst of the three) but so many gameplay options (better than 1 no doubt, maybe 2 depending on what I want). Basically I really love the different jobs/money making stuff you can do, training is way better than in the past two games, as fighting has clicked for me I really enjoy doing all combat related things (especially arena fights) and having all the collectibles funnel back into newer and better moves sure helps. Oh, and the two areas that are included in the game having wonderful vibes/atmospheres. I love Bailu so much especially.

OK, my first real disappointment hit...and anyone who's made an international call to Gui Zhang will know what I'm talking about. This is what happens when you don't have a translation editor πŸ˜’

It's a shame because, apart from that, the convos I've had (not all of them yet) have been really good and fun.

OK, my first real disappointment hit...and anyone who's made an international call to Gui Zhang will know what I'm talking about. This is what happens when you don't have a translation editor πŸ˜’

It's a shame because, apart from that, the convos I've had (not all of them yet) have been really good and fun.

This game is odd in the sense that the lip animations match the Japanese voice acting, but the subtitled script (in English), only matches the English voiced dialogue; meaning, in the Japanese voice dialogue they are saying different things than what the English subtitles are saying.Now I can't read Japanese, so I don't know if the Japanese subtitles match the Japanese voiced dialogue but I assume so? Maybe?

But just going off what little I know, the Japanese dialogue is less 'colorful'? than the English voiced dialogue, as most of the time their words are very blunt and matter of fact, while the English dialogue tried to infuse a little more humor into it.

Like when Ryo greets Kong Mei in her store, in the English dialogue he says either granny or gorgeous.
In the Japanese dialogue he says either Oba-san (grandmother) or One-san (older sister). Not exactly the same, and very blunt and normal.

But when you ask Yuefeng where the abandoned temple is, the English subtitles has her responding something along the lines of "You're going to...well...you know...with Shenhua, right?"
But in Japanese, she asks him directly if he's going to do perverted things ("echii"),
And when you talk to her again, in English she says "Is it my imagination or has Shenhua been turning into quite the looker as of late"? But in Japanese, what she's really asking is if Shenhua "is looking sexier as of late"
so yeah...a bit more on the nose sometimes lol

also, when Ryo is talking to old man Su (his tall tales), when Su is about to explain one of his old war stories, Ryo says "Sa" which means "here we go" lol

Last edited:

My convos have all been fantastic moments. What's the problem of Guizhang?

About language, I can say the French translation is oddly crap throughout the whole game.

This game is odd in the sense that the lip animations match the Japanese voice acting, but the subtitled script (in English), only matches the English voiced dialogue; meaning, in the Japanese voice dialogue they are saying different things than what the English subtitles are saying.Now I can't read Japanese, so I don't know if the Japanese subtitles match the Japanese voiced dialogue but I assume so? Maybe?
I don't think that's odd, though. I think it's pretty much standard for games with dual audio. Judgement is the only game I can think of where they went the extra mile to include different sets of subtitles for the English and Japanese script.

I've been playing the entire game in Japanese and, while I prefer it to the English, I'm not convinced the lip sync fits the Japanese any better than it does the English. At times it's fine, at times it's way off.

My convos have all been fantastic moments. What's the problem of Guizhang?
In English (voice and subtitles) they butcher the secret code for Warehouse No.8. Instead of:

Father's Heaven
Nine Dragons
Mother's Earth
Comrades

They translated it to:

Father Sky
Nine Dragons
Mother Earth
My Friend

Which is painfully dumb, and tells me no English speaker familiar with Shenmue checked the English script before it was recorded and put in the game.

I don't think that's odd, though. I think it's pretty much standard for games with dual audio. Judgement is the only game I can think of where they went the extra mile to include different sets of subtitles for the English and Japanese script.

I've been playing the entire game in Japanese and, while I prefer it to the English, I'm not convinced the lip sync fits the Japanese any better than it does the English. At times it's fine, at times it's way off.

In English (voice and subtitles) they butcher the secret code for Warehouse No.8. Instead of:

Father's Heaven
Nine Dragons
Mother's Earth
Comrades

They translated it to:

Father Sky
Nine Dragons
Mother Earth
My Friend

Which is painfully dumb, and tells me no English speaker familiar with Shenmue checked the English script before it was recorded and put in the game.
Seeing that mistranslation of the password really bothered me. Mainly because it would have been such a great feeling if they had gotten it right. It's like "OH YEAH I REMEMBER THI-wait, what the hell?".

I just get the feeling its more accurate on the Japanese side

Father's Heaven
Nine Dragons
Mother's Earth
Comrades

They translated it to:

Father Sky
Nine Dragons
Mother Earth
My Friend

This annoyed me as well. The English translation as a whole seems very inconsistent in places. I'm very bad at Japanese but when even I'm noticing blatant incorrect translations you know you fucked up!

I think the translation just lacks polish, similar to the previous games. It's forgivable considering the sheer amount of dialogue in the game and the budget they were working with, but yeah...it feels rushed. It needed another pass -- someone to play through the game with English text and take a pen to it.

I mean, what's the line Ryo says when he finds a Chobu chan? "There you were!" or something like that. Completely wrong tense, and all it would've taken is one English-speaking person to play the game to realise that.

The german subtitles have mistakes in them too. Pretty sure they took the english translation
and then translated that into german, so it gets even more complicated
and there are real errors like for example when Ryo and Shenhua are looking for the person in the photo,
Ryo says that "somebody has to know my father here" in the german translation everytime, but its not Ryos father.
Its a little wonky.

And besides that, i think a lot of times the english audio has like the wrong mood or something.
For example when Shenhua says she is going back to her room and Ryo says "Okay?!"
it sounds really weird, like he wants to say "who cares" or sometimes he just answers things like "That ..." and leaves.
I mean there are really funny scenes because of that but it makes the game look like a comedy show.

Im just about to reach and have to say I am a bit dissapointed so far. Literally everything shown in the trailers has been every in game cutscene ... All this time I was thinking, " Wow Yu has really kept the story under lock and key and hasn't shown practically anything" problem is that practically anything is everything xD

Im just about to reach and have to say I am a bit dissapointed so far. Literally everything shown in the trailers has been every in game cutscene ... All this time I was thinking, " Wow Yu has really kept the story under lock and key and hasn't shown practically anything" problem is that practically anything is everything xD

I learnt my lesson with MGSV. Since then, any game I have a real interest in I avoid trailers like the plague. Think I only saw 1 trailer for Shenmue III. With God of War, I caught glimpses here and there but when I booted it up, I had little idea around how it played, the story and so on.

Regarding Shenmue III, not only am I enjoying it, I think it's a good game. What I mean by that is, Shenmue Fan Boy aside, I think it's a solid 7 at the very least and I am impressed with its scope and detail. I'm enjoying playing it so far.

Biggest disappointment for me is the inconsistency with the character models, voice acting and direction. You'll be in a bustling city, with accessible shops everywhere, great water graphics, bright colours and then comes across an NPC that looks like the Elephant Man. Then you have the awkward voice acting and direction which is just inexcusably off. If a low budget game like HellBlade, Life is Strange (among many others) can get it right, so should Shenmue. The bit that hit me hardest was the telephone calls with the Shenmue 1 characters. Ine-San sounds like like someone putting on their worst, generic old person voice and Fuku-San just sounds weird.

Also, QTEs. Don't know if I am simply rubbish or it's the game but I can never get it right first time. Pretty much every sequence so far is me failing it and then completing it by remembering the inputs.

I mean, what's the line Ryo says when he finds a Chobu chan? "There you were!" or something like that. Completely wrong tense, and all it would've taken is one English-speaking person to play the game to realise that.

Are you saying that's what he actually says and not just in the subtitles? I have noticed things like that where they are so wrong I would expect the voice actors to step in and say that's not right. It's similar to how they use the word "thug". Yes, you would say something along the lines of "those thugs" did XYZ but you would not continue to refer to them as "thugs". "I am looking for some thugs", "have you seen thugs around anywhere" and so on. Wonder if it's just as awkward in the Japanese version.

Yeah I thought exactly the same. Yu did us a Kojima xD

Same can be said for the characters shown in promotional screenshots: the little girl of Bailu who looks like Megumi/Fangmei, the woman with broom at Niaowu temple. I was shocked by how they were completely under-developed.

The little girl? What's there to develop?

- Father is a stonemason
- Friend of Shenhua's
- Hid under sheets because she's afraid of loud noises
- Likes to draw dinosaurs in the sand

Now Megumi:

- Has a sister
- Wants to keep the cat
- Mother doesn't want to keep it

What else is there?

Are you saying that's what he actually says and not just in the subtitles? I have noticed things like that where they are so wrong I would expect the voice actors to step in and say that's not right. It's similar to how they use the word "thug". Yes, you would say something along the lines of "those thugs" did XYZ but you would not continue to refer to them as "thugs". "I am looking for some thugs", "have you seen thugs around anywhere" and so on. Wonder if it's just as awkward in the Japanese version.
I'm playing in Japanese so I don't actually know what he says but in the subtitles it's awkward.

The whole asking the exact same question using the exact same phrasing e.g. thugs is very Shenmue -- and I think it comes down to the sheer amount of dialogue in the games. Instead of coming up with ten different ways of asking about "thugs", they just write and record one or two because it's quicker and cheaper. You see some of this in Bethesda games, where seperate voice actors will spout the exact same lines, and the only explanation is time and cost (and disc space, back in the day).

I'm playing in Japanese so I don't actually know what he says but in the subtitles it's awkward.

The whole asking the exact same question using the exact same phrasing e.g. thugs is very Shenmue -- and I think it comes down to the sheer amount of dialogue in the games. Instead of coming up with ten different ways of asking about "thugs", they just write and record one or two because it's quicker and cheaper. You see some of this in Bethesda games, where seperate voice actors will spout the exact same lines, and the only explanation is time and cost (and disc space, back in the day).
In the same vein, I had to chuckle when I first heard the guy at the Rose Garden say β€˜The entry fee is...this!’, and then the amount of tokens appears on screen πŸ˜›

Back