How can I disable asset streaming?

Hey guys, was originally not going to post here but I am out of ideas and I really want to play this game without the area to area stutter...

My rig is more than adequate to run the game on max settings at 1440p capped to 90fps (i7 8700k CPU, 1080 Ti GPU, 32GB 3200mhz RAM, 970 Pro SSD), yet there are certain areas in the game that crossing over into will make my framerate drop by like 10-20 frames, despite my hardware not being anywhere near maxxed out. As far as I can tell, the cause of this is Unreal 4 Engine's default handling of asset streaming (enabled by default). I've tried following several guides online to disable asset streaming altogether (console commands, Drogean's Custom INI kit) all to no avail - it just doesn't seem to change anything and the areas that make my framerate dip when crossing into them still have that same effect, almost to the exact pixel every time.

Was hoping they would have released a patch by now but alas 1.03 is nowhere to be seen and at this rate I'm not gunna be able to properly play this game until next year unless I just deal with this unnecessary annoyance.

Big props to anyone who can help me 🙏

Last edited:
Have you tried using the NPC manager fixes?

You should try them without the INI changes. Also, please send your custom INI file for inspection :).

It sounds less like asset streaming and more like level streaming, since you mentioned going between areas.

No difference sadly :(

So, I reset my INI file and then installed Forklift and your NPC manager/retrocam mod, but the issue persists

For instance, when I walk past the bell tower, going uphill, it causes me to drop from 90fps to anywhere in the 70s, almost every single time (and the same happens even with the mods applied)

FWIW I have the fps capped to 90 using RTSS but even with fps unlocked and RTSS closed, the stutter is evident, so that's not the cause either...

Last edited:
What about @1080p?

To be clear, I can't reproduce this at all, and right now my main rig has a 2060.

Didn't make any difference - I even tried putting the graphics from Very High to Low in combination with taking it down to 1080p and I still drop from 90 to 75 fps when crossing that exact area (and other areas around the town).

Also tried putting the fps cap to 60 and the area to area movement still causes stutter (not as severe but still very noticeable at a drop of about 5-10 frames).

Last edited:
Sure thing, here you go:

This is still on 1080p with Low graphics btw. Bumped up the fps counter's size so you don't have to watch it full screen :sweatsmile: I only demonstrated the bell tower one, there are a handful of areas all over town which do the same thing though

Last edited:
Nice find. Not quite sure how I missed these, but now that you've pointed it out, I can see the others pretty easily. I guess a good thing about this is that it's quite small - just a very slight hitch right at corners of each level streaming volume.

I can look into this, although I can't guarantee anything within the next couple of days, however, I could probably pretty easily force all levels to remain loaded, so the game doesn't try to unload/load various level segments.

This stuttering between level chunks was particularly bad in the demo (pre-launch). It's definitely improved since then but it's still noticeable.

I played the main game on base PS4 and certain area transitions, in Niaowu in particular, can be pretty jerky. Combine that with the unstable framerate and Niaowu can feel pretty darn choppy to run through on PS4.

I can look into this, although I can't guarantee anything within the next couple of days, however, I could probably pretty easily force all levels to remain loaded, so the game doesn't try to unload/load various level segments.

That would be amazing 🙏

Little bit of weirdness encountered - the mod only seems to apply itself on the first launch of Shenmue 3 for that startup instance, every launch thereafter it won't show up with F12 until I restart the computer

Edit: Nevermind, it was RTSS interferring, I have to open it after the game is all

Last edited:
This feature is insane! Thanks you saved my game experience! Is this beeing updated and further looked into? but anyway great work. I tried to convert the "load level" feature to other UE4 games since this is a common problem, but i was only able to get the Ui working.

Hi, can you update this? I'm using steam and its says error game detection while forklift mod is fine

Gee LemonHaze, how come your mom lets you have TWO yellow bars under your name?

Btw, do you have any plans to add your mods to the guide section of the Steam release?

Gee LemonHaze, how come your mom lets you have TWO yellow bars under your name?
Lmao, I could probably remove the Administrator one actually :D

Btw, do you have any plans to add your mods to the guide section of the Steam release?
I was actually hoping there'd be a way to integrate Steam Workshop stuff, but that doesn't seem to be a thing for Shenmue III which I probably should've have realised a long time ago lol.

Yeah, there should be a few updates in the next few days.

Back