How can I rip the Coca-Cola textures from the Japanese Shenmue on Dreamcast?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
I want to rip the textures from the Japanese Shenmue on Dreamcast for use on the PC re-release. The current Coca-Cola mod on Nexus Mods is a new style I believe and I would love to use the original textures but I don't know how or what I need to rip and convert so it works on the PC version. Is this even possible?
Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you. :)

IIRC, the original Coca-Cola vending machine assets are still present - they've just been renamed and/or replaced at runtime for the new ones.

You should be able to extract everything using either ShenmueModTools or wudecon. These tools aren't necessarily HD-only tools. I can't remember exactly where these files are, but they're in a pretty obvious file, something like "coke.pkf" or "coke.pks" (for the models). You'll want to extract the textures from the PKF and replace them in the PKF within the re-releases. If you need more help regarding this, feel free to join the Shenmue Reverse Engineers discord (here), where I'm more active and more members will see your query.

Good luck!

IIRC, the original Coca-Cola vending machine assets are still present - they've just been renamed and/or replaced at runtime for the new ones.

Not sure about that. They're definitely replaced at runtime but the PC assets are based on the US Dreamcast release of the game.

Not sure about that. They're definitely replaced at runtime but the PC assets are based on the US Dreamcast release of the game.

Then it should just be as simple as replacing the assets directly. Although, I'm fairly sure I've seen some of the JP originals in the re-releases, too.

Update:

The original JP coke textures do exist in the re-releases, they're in COKE.PKF - but those aren't what you'll want to replace anyways, what you want to replace is VEND.PKF/PKS.

Here you go. Just use Forklift and extract this into your mods directory. Only works for Dobuita right now, but shouldn't be ahrd at all to change it in other areas.

Attachments

• SM1_JPCokeMachine.zip
    2 MB · Views: 40
Did Shenmue 2 also have Coca Cola on the JP release or was it like the US/EU release where it just used a fictional brand?... if so would it also be possible to put the Coca Cola machines into Shenmue 2 as well maybe?...

Did Shenmue 2 also have Coca Cola on the JP release or was it like the US/EU release where it just used a fictional brand?... if so would it also be possible to put the Coca Cola machines into Shenmue 2 as well maybe?...

I was wondering this but I think it just had the unbranded one but a mod to add Coca-Cola would be good as it would fit in more with the Japanese Shenmue I.

So after a little look, it seems that all of the vending machines in Shenmue II are inside scene\XX\model\chara\. Vending machines are named like jihs2kgg.mt7, jihs2kwg.mt7, jihs5gtg.mt7, jihs5kng.mt7 and jihs5krg.mt7. The textures themselves are embedded inside the models in this case. Here's the Japanese coke machine texture.

So after a little look, it seems that all of the vending machines in Shenmue II are inside scene\XX\model\chara\. Vending machines are named like jihs2kgg.mt7, jihs2kwg.mt7, jihs5gtg.mt7, jihs5kng.mt7 and jihs5krg.mt7. The textures themselves are embedded inside the models in this case. Here's the Japanese coke machine texture.

View attachment 3203

Would I just rename these to what the one in use is called in each place?

Funny thing I just was tinkering around with the vending machie couple days ago since Forklift can replace models and textures. Considering I managed to achieve this a couple years ago with taking the files from the Japanese game disc images and replaced them the Euro release, then this was only half the step I needed to do. Anyhow I'll post my .zip folder since I ripped the files of the disc and strutured it so they appear in the other places as well.

Coke_Vending_Machine for Forklift

This was discovered unintentional, but if you use derplayer123's Original Dreamcast Textures in Shenmue II you'll get the Sapporo vending machines instead

Last edited:
Funny thing I just was tinkering around with the vending machie couple days ago since Forklift can replace models and textures. Considering I managed to achieve this a couple years ago with taking the files from the Japanese game disc images and replaced them the Euro release, then this was only half the step I needed to do. Anyhow I'll post my .zip folder since I ripped the files of the disc and strutured it so they appear in the other places as well.

This was discovered unintentional, but if you use derplayer123's Original Dreamcast Textures in Shenmue II you'll get the Sapporo vending machines instead
View attachment 3213

Have you just replaced Shenmue 1 with Coca-Cola and are using the Original Dreamcast textures mod for Shenmue II?

Have you just replaced Shenmue 1 with Coca-Cola and are using the Original Dreamcast textures mod for Shenmue II?

Pretty much, though it works fine with texture injecting with Specail_K, must have a higher priority. So I can have Ryo's HD clothes yet still have the classic Timex watch. That's the most I can tell from derplayers release. The wristwatch, winning cans and vending machines in Shenmue 2 (sorry I have no clips for those)

View attachment 3213

Would it also be possible to replace the Coke machines in the Harbor as well?... I say this because they seem to still be the normal Jet Cola brand however when you go over to them and use them they turn into the Coca Cola brand but when you are walking around in freeroam they are still the Jet Cola brand...

Would it also be possible to replace the Coke machines in the Harbor as well?... I say this because they seem to still be the normal Jet Cola brand however when you go over to them and use them they turn into the Coca Cola brand but when you are walking around in freeroam they are still the Jet Cola brand...

Very strange, I made sure the folder stucture is there correctly, though I am working on a better version

I mean how to replace in Shenmue 2

Hang on there Chapav, the Dreamcast files I provided will only work for Shenmue 1. There would be a way to say find those vending machine hashs and replace the textures but I'm not in mood to look through all that at the moment.
If you are commenting about the Sapporo Soft Drink that I showed in my screenshot, you just have to place them into the Shenmue 2 directory archives\dx11\mods. You may well have to create the "mods" folder.

Sorry to double post chaps, but for anyone viewing this thread I posted here Modding Thread for the textures I created. Just get rid of the files I provided from forklift and it should be good to run. However I've not been able to see it in the Harbor, anyone willing to test it for me?
I see no reason why it shouldn't work

Back