Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

ShenGCH

Who the fuck is Coco, bitch?!
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Whether it is in-person or in videos, podcasts, etc., the way in which "Shenmue" is pronounced varies wildly depending on accent, knowledge, and habituation. As such, I am very interested in learning how you guys pronounce the title.

GO!

EDIT: I pronounce it "Shen-myoo"

Last edited:
Shen-moo obviously, but I always giggle when I watch this YouTube video and the dude keeps calling it Shane-moo-ie

EDIT: I nearly spat out my drink where he describes himself as a logic tornado (and you're a Helen Hunt) :tearsofjoy:

I say "Shen-moo", but, to shame myself:
When I first heard of the game-- albeit I'm not dyslexic-- I thought it said "Shem-noo." I called it that for about six months prior to the release of the original. Thankfully, a promo trailer corrected me.

As an act of penance, I chose "Shem-noo." May I be the only one.

The way it's pronounced in Japanese, because till the moment I found the tree in S2 I never said it before lol.

Aaaaand I have to say I'm kinda nazi on this way, because if you say it wrong you OBVIOUSLY DIDNT PLAY THE GAME so when someone is talking about it in a video and misspronounce it, I think "aaaaaghh i caught you, you didnt play it! (at least S2)"

The way it's pronounced in Japanese, because till the moment I found the tree in S2 I never said it before lol.

Aaaaand I have to say I'm kinda nazi on this way, because if you say it wrong you OBVIOUSLY DIDNT PLAY THE GAME so when someone is talking about it in a video and misspronounce it, I think "aaaaaghh i caught you, you didnt play it! (at least S2)"
Also, the game is referred to by name numerous times in those talking head info videos on the Passport disc, pronounced, surprise surprise, Shen-moo. I’ve never understood why anyone would think it’s pronounced any differently, I’m sure there was plenty of promotional material before the game came out that made the pronounciation clear

I didn't really piss about with the passport disc for the first year or so of having it, coz no Internet, why bother?

I'd only ever read the word Shenmue in magazines, and because I'm English, "m-yoo" made more sense pronunciation-wise than "moo", not unlike how most of us would call Ryu from Street Fighter "R-eye-oo".

It's at the point now where I pronounce it however the fuck I like, and anyone who's got owt to say about it's gonna get their mam shagged.

I say "Shen-moo".

People I know also call it "Shen-myoo", "Shen-myoo-eee" or "Shem-new".

Thanks to YouTube, there's also "Shen-myoo-ayyy-eee".

I would pronunce Shenmue just as Shenmu, the mu I pronunce the same way as the japanese hiranga む

After listening to the japanese pronounciation it sounds pretty close to the original.

But we do not have consider my mother tongue german for that. In English most gamers uses the moo sound like the sound from coo. It is the same trick in german but in german the word would be Muh. And the h is silent vowel. You barely say it. So it is easier for german speakers to be closer the orginal.

It should be pronounced as Ryan Drees spells it on his resume: Shaemu. (Shay-mu?)

I pronounced it "Shenmü" for many many years. Only natural for a German to turn "ue" into the proper Umlaut. Reading the name in magazines was the only thing I had to go by for quite some time. Friends came to the same conclusion or adopted it from me. One even mockingly called it "Shenmüll" (see if you can figure out what that means).

Thing is I was kinda right with saying it like that because the Japanese also pronounce it strikingly similar to "Shenmü", though they can lean towards "Shen-moo" a bit or two, depending on who says it.

I ultimately switched to "Shen-moo" though, after diving deep into the community and hearing it a bunch in Youtube videos etc.

Shen-moo, since I first heard it pronounced that way in the original Dreamcast trailer!

shen-moo
i remember as a young fella i even once drew the logo and under it i drew a cow

For a very brief window when the series first debuted, I called it Shen-Moo-ey/ay. Since then, Shen-Moo all the way.

Shamoo, obviously.

For a very brief window when the series first debuted, I called it Shen-Moo-ey/ay. Since then, Shen-Moo all the way.
Honestly, though, I’m pretty sure I did this as well. I was kind of confused about whether or not it was spelled in a way that should be pronounced as if it were Japanese, and knew just enough about Japanese pronunciation to be dangerous.
Wasn’t until significantly later that I realized it was confusing because it wasn’t a Japanese word, but some approximation of a Chinese one.

It is interesting to learn how differently people pronounce the name of Yu-Sans masterpiece but actually in the day and age of Youtube there should not be a discussion.

The truth is on Youtube. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But it shows that Shenmue is quite famous for click videos and that many guys that talk about it on youtube for many makin purposes have never played it. Every Fan that has played S2 should know how it sounds in Japanese since 2001.

The whole youtube talk is monstly negativly but still funny to think that even people that have never played it talk about gehe game.

I pronounce it Shen-moo. Unrelated but did anyone else think Ryo's name was Shenmue before you played the game? I can't be the only one.

Back