How easy is it to edit subtitles for Shenmue II (re-release) on PC and how would I manage it?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
I want to edit the subtitles for Shenmue II so I can replace the lines that say "Cool Z" with "Cool J" for it to be consistent with the Japanese dub. It bugs me that they clearly say "Cool J" but the subtitles say "Cool Z".

It was changed for the Western market due to a rapper existing under the name "LL Cool J". SEGA may have been fearful of legal issues happening due to the game.
I'm surprised they didn't redub those lines like they did with Yuan. With Yuan, they decided on changing the Voice actor from a Male one in the Japanese version to a Female one in the Western version.

Last edited:
If you are using the redreamcasted mod you can simply open the dcsubs.tac file with a hex editor, like HxD, and search & replace the text string "Cool Z" for "Cool J" (minus the quotes). Replace all and save. As long as you don't add or remove stuff that should just work.

If you are using the redreamcasted mod you can simply open the dcsubs.tac file with a hex editor, like HxD, and search & replace the text string "Cool Z" for "Cool J" (minus the quotes). Replace all and save. As long as you don't add or remove stuff that should just work.

Thanks Man! You rock! I'll check that out. 🙂

It worked! I'm glad to read Cool J now along with hearing it with the Japanese dub. 😊

Could you help me with another bit of text replacing?

I'm trying to uncensor the name of the Lucky Hit Museum bookie in the Dimsum Qr. in Kowloon. His censored name is Haoyi Ping, his uncensored name is Najimu Hassan.
It's corrupting the subtitles when I go to save it, I think because the file size changes because I'm adding more characters to it, unlike the Cool Z/Cool J thing where it's the same amount of letters.

Here's some more info on the censorship if you're interested. The censorship consists of changing his ethnicity, name and also his appearance as I've already mentioned. In the Japanese version he's Middle Eastern and wears a Muslim headdress but in the Western version, he's of Chinese descent and they removed the Muslim headdress.

Last edited:
I've uncensored his name in the latest version. They didn't do a very good job changing his name in the Dreamcast PAL version anyway, because others call him Haoyi but he still calls himself Hassan.

Back