How much fan-service should be in Shenmue IV?

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
Currently playing
Ghost of Tsushima
PSN
mjqjazzbar
Personally, I'd limit it as much as possible. If there's no relevant plot need for a forklift or a Lucky Hit board, I'd completely cut it out of the game. I understand why they felt obligated to include these types of things in Shenmue 3--15 years of hype and a need to raise money from fans--but it's time to move one. What are some other 'fan-service' elements you'd cut out of the game, or what would you want them to keep?

I would put in as much as possible, WITHOUT making it a nuisance, full of fetch quests or sidetracking you from the main story.

Good Fanservice in III?
- Lucky Hit

Bad Fanservice in III?
- Chai (since the very beginning, he shouldn't have been in the game; useless character and I've only encountered him in Bailu, thus far).
- Forklifts (**** that).
- Gashapon (may bit on a more personal taste level, but I really don't care for capsules and never have).

That's al I got to say for now.

I think the biggest thing for now is to mention that I was totally fine with the lack of actual SEGA games within Shenmue III - I actually found some of the new Mini-games like Choppin' Wood & Wack A Mole to be the funnest in the series. So for Shenmue IV, having the Retro-games not be present isn't a biggie for me.

As a whole I'd steer clear of being fan-service now. It was almost assumed 3 would have alot of this due to the Kickstarter. However as Shenmue 4 is likely to come from other funding streams I don't think too much fan service is needed.

Keep the toy capsules, arcade machines and forklifts. The rest should fall by the wayside now. Maybe have a little competition for a fan to be an NPC or something along those lines.

I am willing to follow whatever Yu-san wants to put in his games since I love his vision for the series. However, there are four core components that need to be in the game for me to call the game "Shenmue" and those are:

- Story/Characters- I can safely say this is an element a lot of fans love about the Shenmue series (myself included). The overall storyline is engaging and the characters are memorable. For example in Shenmue III, I really enjoy talking with Shenhua. The conversations flesh her character out more and make her more relatable. Things like hating carrots or making goofy faces are things I will remember about her.

- Details- While some may see this concept as 'outdated' I really like it. The abundant amount of detail on display in every inch of the games tells you a lot about the world and its characters. There is a reason I still have not beaten Shenmue III yet, and that's because I enjoy looking in every nook and cranny.

- Ambiance or Spirituality- This in my opinion is what separates Shenmue from other franchises. The lush environment, the subtle magic in the air, the emphasis on philosophical concepts found in Buddhism, Taoism, Shintoism, etc. Not to forget the wonderful music that enhances this feeling.

- Martial Arts- This is just a given. However, given how other games simply add it in as an element, Shenmue expands on it. I have never come across a gaming series that showed this amount of love and detail to the martial arts.

As for Shenmue III itself, there are things that Yu has added that I think could be expanded upon. I also think there are things I would be fine without. The training system is a great idea because it gives players an actual incentive to actually practice. Add more training regimens, more battles (like The Rose Garden and challenging temples), and flesh out the combat system even more.

I like the idea of collecting herbs and selling them off for money/move scrolls. If I were Yu, I would expand this to make medicine for healing your HP. Or to get a part-time job as an herbalist and learn how to make medicine for yourself and the shop.

Also, I like the stamina system. It gives the game some more realism. I would expand this to include eating at restaurants and cooking your own meals by either buying or finding ingredients.

And finally, the changing clothes option is a fun idea. Ideally, I hope Yu-san gives Ryo some more stylish clothes. Also some more traditional martial arts and ceremonial clothing.

Everything else in the game I am fine with disappearing if they are not going to be fleshed out more (like fishing). I can only speak for myself, but I prefer the more serious elements of Shenmue in comparison to its lighthearted elements. As long as Shenmue IV has the four core components I mentioned earlier, that will be enough 'fanservice' for me.

Last edited:
Minimal fan servicing. A bit, but too much got S3 in trouble due to neglecting more important story elements.

They should definitely bring back Chai. You know, for the fans. But not acknowledge the fact Ryo faced off with him as the main villian in the first game. Would not want to confuse the newcomers.

Everything that is already done for III since is free assets and code, I would remove Lucky hit and if forklit does not match the scenario I would love a Forklift Racing Arcade

None. Shenmue 4 should focus entirely on developing characters and relationships and furthering the story. I have no issue with them removing mini games to better the quality of the plot, although as they’ve already made the games and got them working in UE4, there would be no reason not to re-use them.

If reusing old music was fan service, I’d rather they didn’t do this either, although I expect this was more down to budgetary constraints and if reusing music again in 4 allowed them to focus on other areas, I’d have no qualms with them doing so.

The gameplay in S3 is solid. We just need some meat added to the story going forward.

They should definitely bring back Chai. You know, for the fans. But not acknowledge the fact Ryo faced off with him as the main villian in the first game. Would not want to confuse the newcomers.

**** Chai.

He was a middling character in 1 and (so far), fairly useless in 3.

He sucks at fighting and he's bloody annoying.

**** Chai.

He was a middling character in 1 and (so far), fairly useless in 3.

He sucks at fighting and he's bloody annoying.

I find him to be impressive, but he can be annoying.

I have no preference on the topic of fan service. I'm happy with Shenmue 4 being similar to the groundwork of S3 if it is refined and the story progresses.

None. Shenmue 4 should focus entirely on developing characters and relationships and furthering the story. I have no issue with them removing mini games to better the quality of the plot, although as they’ve already made the games and got them working in UE4, there would be no reason not to re-use them.

Agreed - I think the only reason to cut any minigames would be if they really didn't fit the locations. Though it would be great to see Ryo drive a forklift down the Great Wall of China!

In general, I would say I hate fanservice. Maybe an easter egg here and there is fine, but no "remember this!" *wink wink* moments. Shenmue 3 was a bit of an exception because it was a kickstarter, and I did enjoy the "Save Shenmue" temple and the Niaowu guestbook.

Yu Suzuki should just make the game according to his own vision. He should not stop to ask himself "How will the fans feel if so-and-so is not in the game?"

Yeah, I really hope developing the game doesn't become "democratic". I think a lot times fans will like an idea on paper, or will request a lot of these fan service moments. For example, I often read other posters who were upset that they changed the QTE sounds in S3. The visuals are completely different and those sounds are low fidelity, so it would make no sense to bring them back. But that's dinged as a "negative".

I would put in as much as possible, WITHOUT making it a nuisance, full of fetch quests or sidetracking you from the main story.

Good Fanservice in III?
- Lucky Hit

Bad Fanservice in III?
- Chai (since the very beginning, he shouldn't have been in the game; useless character and I've only encountered him in Bailu, thus far).
- Forklifts (**** that).
- Gashapon (may bit on a more personal taste level, but I really don't care for capsules and never have).

That's al I got to say for now.
Chai shows up later too.

I figured ;) lol.

If he just left like he did, THAT would be terrible plot writing...

I actually would of thought it was a bit weird if there wasn’t lucky hit in the game (Bailu I would understand but it’s in both locations in S2 so why wouldn’t it be in the main city in S3). For the same reason the existence of Forklifts didn’t bother me.

I’m ok with some of the nods and winks - Shenmue as always had them but things like characters that looks like old characters I found rather jarring. But appearing in Capsule toys is fine. The save Shenmue hall was ok as it was all very OTT.

But I did feel there was too much of it for my tastes - I got the feeling that Shenmue 3 wasn’t nostalgic for the 80s like the first two games it was nostalgic for itself.

S3 had a lot of fan service as it was basically made for the fans who participated in the Kickstarter. I don't see a reason for fan service in S4, but I kind of disagree with some of what we are calling fan service.

Chai is a character that is likely going to show up again, not out of fan service, but because he is a part of the plot.

None of us are forced to play lucky hit or collect capsule toys, but I think it would look odd and feel empty if there were none. The other gambling games can be replaced with something else, but I don't know if he would get rid of gambling, as it is an option to make money other than chopping wood-which was fun, but didn't pay as good as gambling.

I loved the forklift job in S1, because it was a real job and not a side job like most of the other ways to make money in Shenmue. I like that Ryo had to catch a bus in the morning, and he had a lunch break in the middle, and then a quitting time at the end of his shift where he was paid. That said, if they can't build an area large enough for you to have more than 2 places to drop off stuff, then I would rather they not include it. I can live without another forklift.

To me, the way the forklift was implemented in S3, was fan service.

If there is no Kickstarter for Shenmue IV, then there is no reason to have a building for Kickstarter backers or to have backers as NPCs.

Last edited:
I think fan service is a positive point as long as it fits the location and the plot.

Having the forklift back in Niaowu was perfectly right for the location and was a nice chance to reflect on previous events in the series, just like the cat reminding Ryo of Fangmei or meeting Delin's brother (or meeting Wang's brother in Shenmue II).

Having arcades and Lucky Hit and gambling in Bailu didn't fit as well, though. Nor keeping fishing and herb hunting in Niaowu. It would have added to the plot to limit some of these minigames to each location.

Chai should be dropped, or at least being given some acknowledgment by Ryo. III's integration was really poor.

Everything that is already done for III since is free assets and code, I would remove Lucky hit and if forklit does not match the scenario I would love a Forklift Racing Arcade

A forklift racing arcade is a brilliant idea for a future game. They could give it a physical cabinet reminiscent of the Outrun or Hang-on ones for extra homage points.

Back