How much fan-service should be in Shenmue IV?

I think fan service is a positive point as long as it fits the location and the plot.

Having the forklift back in Niaowu was perfectly right for the location and was a nice chance to reflect on previous events in the series, just like the cat reminding Ryo of Fangmei or meeting Delin's brother (or meeting Wang's brother in Shenmue II).

Having arcades and Lucky Hit and gambling in Bailu didn't fit as well, though. Nor keeping fishing and herb hunting in Niaowu. It would have added to the plot to limit some of these minigames to each location.

Chai should be dropped, or at least being given some acknowledgment by Ryo. III's integration was really poor.

A forklift racing arcade is a brilliant idea for a future game. They could give it a physical cabinet reminiscent of the Outrun or Hang-on ones for extra homage points.

Fishing in Niaowu fit pretty perfectly when you take into account the town is built on the banks of a river.

Not so sure about the forklift though. Yu included because some fans made a point of asking for it, and while it didn’t bother me in the slightest, I don’t really yearn to have more forklifts. I’d be fine without any more of them in future instalments.

added in a DLC? Sure, that could be nice, but otherwise it would just start coming across too dam servicey imo.

Fishing in Niaowu fit pretty perfectly when you take into account the town is built on the banks of a river.

Not so sure about the forklift though. Yu included because some fans made a point of asking for it, and while it didn’t bother me in the slightest, I don’t really yearn to have more forklifts. I’d be fine without any more of them in future instalments.

added in a DLC? Sure, that could be nice, but otherwise it would just start coming across too dam servicey imo.

You are right. In fact now that I think about it it would have also made sense in Yokosuka's harbor. There were a lot of fishermen there indeed.

Out of curiosity, do you feel the other repeating elements between games, like the Tomato Convenience Stores or meeting brothers of previous characters, is fan service too? Because I kind of think they make sense. Retail chains across multiple countries do exist, and cargo handling jobs also exist almost everywhere (in port towns specially).

You are right. In fact now that I think about it it would have also made sense in Yokosuka's harbor. There were a lot of fishermen there indeed.

Out of curiosity, do you feel the other repeating elements between games, like the Tomato Convenience Stores or meeting brothers of previous characters, is fan service too? Because I kind of think they make sense. Retail chains across multiple countries do exist, and cargo handling jobs also exist almost everywhere (in port towns specially).

No issues at all with the Tomato Convenience Stores, no. Like you say, it makes sense and is very plausible. Running into acquaintances or family members of previous characters hasn’t taken me out of the game yet, so no problem with it at the moment either. but it’s like most things, if it’s something that we start seeing in every town, it will seem a bit pointless. So far I’ve liked it though.

I'd remove almost all the minigames. I would not spend any more money in minigames, instead, I would enhance the battle system and, above all, the main history. The story in Shenmue 3 it was so so in my opinion, I know they had low budget but If they had cut minigames they could have spend more money in the music (the use of the music was so so) and story, animation, creating NPC...etc.

If there are no mini games then people will say there’s nothing to do like they do with Shenmue 1. The trick is balance. It also depends on where Shenmue 4 is taking the story. Perhaps the slow paced investigations would be less important than fighting or perhaps they could find more set pieces to move the story along? I think there are solutions...

Last edited:
If there are no mini games then people will say there’s nothing to do like they do with Shenmue 1. The trick is balance. It also depends on where Shenmue 4 is taking the story. Perhaps the slow paced investigations would be less important than fighting or perhaps they could find more set pieces to move the story along? I think there are solutions...

Forgive my tangent as I see the point you are trying to make, but I will never understand those who think there is nothing to do in Shenmue: Chapter One Yokosuka. You can practice your moves, spar with Fukuhara-san, the infamous seventy man battle, collect different items, forklift racing, Excite QTE, QTE Title, Darts, Hang-On, Space Harrier, take care of a kitten, and even get into fights unrelated to the main story. Maybe its just me, but I have never felt bored playing the first game and always found something to do.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd limit it as much as possible. If there's no relevant plot need for a forklift or a Lucky Hit board, I'd completely cut it out of the game. I understand why they felt obligated to include these types of things in Shenmue 3--15 years of hype and a need to raise money from fans--but it's time to move one. What are some other 'fan-service' elements you'd cut out of the game, or what would you want them to keep?
I wish they cut it a lot from Bailu village. Shenhua gave me the feeling in Shenmue 2 that it was almost Amish, no technology they get what they need from the mountain. I mean a animal was important enough for her to risk her life jumping in a river! Then you get to finally be in Bailu and they have wack a mole and people selling food to each other. And she didn't mention anything about the men all leaving the village to work in the city which seemed like a unique thing to mention when her and Ryo were talking about Bailu so much in Shenmue 2.

They had the lucky hit and prizes and capsule toys in Niaowu so they were in the game and leaving them out of Bailu would have given Niaowu an even bigger impact of wow look how big this city is with so much to do. You'd feel as much like a fish out of water as Shenhua.

Last edited:
I actually would of thought it was a bit weird if there wasn’t lucky hit in the game (Bailu I would understand but it’s in both locations in S2 so why wouldn’t it be in the main city in S3). For the same reason the existence of Forklifts didn’t bother me.

I’m ok with some of the nods and winks - Shenmue as always had them but things like characters that looks like old characters I found rather jarring. But appearing in Capsule toys is fine. The save Shenmue hall was ok as it was all very OTT.

But I did feel there was too much of it for my tastes - I got the feeling that Shenmue 3 wasn’t nostalgic for the 80s like the first two games it was nostalgic for itself.
Couldn't agree more with it didn't feel like the 80s but like itself.

I didn't like Shenmue capsule toys, breaks the fourth wall too much. They had plenty of other capsule toys they didn't need the Shenmue sets.

Same with the Shenmue clothes. I think they could have kept the Save Shenmue building, it would be out of the way but full of everything for people to enjoy.

As little as possible if it doesn't add the the story or character relationships. Dont need an entire temple dedicated to thanking the fans and whatnot

If it goes to Kickstarter and its goal is anywhere near $6 million, it'll go down in flames. The hype just isn't there like it was a few years ago, and the good will has gone to an extent due to the 'mishandled' Kickstarter. You're only gonna get the hardest of the hardcore this time.

I think adding an option to 'back' higher end versions or whatever is possible, though, like a floating Slacker Backer for hardcore Shenmue VIPs...

How do you know S4 won't be in kickstarter again?

It may make 1 million, if lucky.

Almost all of us here would back it, but say of the 2,000 of us, if we all pledge an average of $50.00, that's only $100,000.00.

No way will they hit a million, after all the backlash and crap.

How do you know S4 won't be in kickstarter again?
All the bad press around it. Some of it justified but mostly not.

People wonder why the Shenmue fanbase has an issue with some parts of the gaming media.... well they way they reported the kickstarter and funding announcements is only 1 of a number of reasons.

Take it up to 11. I wanna see Ryo competing with sailors in a forklift race up the side of the cliff temple while he shouts TRY A GAME OF LUCKY HIT. Ine-san clapping on the sidelines. Perfect.

On a more serious note...

KS is a one time shot and it comes with huge backlash from KS haters in press, unnecessary fanservice and wasted development time on useless ports.
All true, yet it might also be the only option.

People proposing another KS aren't doing so because it's a great option, they're doing so because it might be the only option -- again -- as it was for III.

If the choice comes down to KS vs no IV at all, I hope they choose KS. It might fail, or only raise a fraction of the money, and get ripped apart by the media, but it'd be better than nothing.

If they just do it for additional funding, as opposed to full funding for the entire game (like the first KS was), I think us fans would ensure it would be seen to completion.

Say, 1 million for a few more assets, hire more people, etc.

I just wish to say I am newbie to weblog and actually savored you're site . Most likely I'm want to bookmark your site. You absolutely come with great posts. Thanks a lot for exposing your blog site.
f858_42

Back