How Reflections Work in Shenmue (Video)

James Brown

Administrator
Using Switch's brand new simple one click no clipping enabler tool, I decided to check out the infamous reflection technique that was used back in the day to get around the obvious lack of technology for creating a mirror image! The mirror in Russiya China Shop and the one in Ryo's basement were the 2 obvious choices. I decided to check out Russiya first and even though I knew it was going to happen, it still blew my mind the genius of creating a second room that's mirrored next to the main store, and creating a like for like movement second Ryo so it appears that Ryo's reflection is actually present in the mirror (when infact it's just a second Ryo character model standing in a second room! :D )

Here's me checking out the secret room using the no clip tool :)

That's really bloody clever. Nice work and great video.

I remember someone had pointed this out in the past (LanDC?). Awesome video!

I've been doing quite a few of these behind the mirror videos a good while back. Basically in every area that has one.

It's even funnier when you look at the reflective floors in Shenmue II. Have a great example of how that works in the Big Ox Bldg.

wvM66v6.jpg

I remember someone had pointed this out in the past (LanDC?). Awesome video!
Pretty sure James Reiner made a video about this awhile back...

Pretty sure James Reiner made a video about this awhile back...

Well, I mean, I'm sure I have several times like 16 years ago when I was discovering these things. Of course my findings weren't always archived so well back in those days and I'm too busy to go through all this stuff again in my adulthood.

Wish there were a Document of Shenmue ala Document of MGS2. Sons of Liberty did this with the tanker bridge (and Big Shell bathroom mirrors?)

Neat fun to be looking at minute details of maps, etc.

Back