How strong do you feel about Shenmue 3 now?

Now, the same as ever bevore, I feel very strongly about it.

This is not about nostalgia or anything. It's personal and I need Shenmue to be finished in the form of a video game and I will go out of my way to do what I can do to make sure S3 will sell well, just like I went out of my way for the S3 Kickstarter.

And no matter what happens, I'm not gonna cave in and let this go. If it's gonna take another Kickstarter to get S4 out of the gate, count me in. Whatever it takes, I won't ever give up on S4 and if Yu needs 5 games to finish the story, I will do all I can to get S5 made.

I've been in this boat since the Dreamcast days and I will be in this with Yu to the very end. I cannot rest before Yu gets the ending he wants for the Shenmue Saga.

I remember that Suzuki once said that he made the first two Shenmue games to make people feel nostalgic for the 80s and that Shenmue 3 is meant to be nostalgia for the original games.

Shenmue 3 is going to feel like an old-school game, and that's great, but what I really hope is that Yu Suzuki changes the original story and ends in this game, I don't want to wait for a "shnmue 4" , i really love Shenmue, but i don't want to wait anymore in my life

Shenmue 3 is going to feel like an old-school game, and that's great, but what I really hope is that Yu Suzuki changes the original story and ends in this game, I don't want to wait for a "shnmue 4" , i really love Shenmue, but i don't want to wait anymore in my life

i think that wont happen. wasnt Shenmue originally designed for like 5-6 games in total?
so Shenmue 1-2 is probably nothing if you could take a look at the complete Shenmue script
and i'm pretty sure we will look at some cliffhanger ending again in Shenmue 3.
if Shenmue 1+2 is only like the intro of the journey, then there cant be a final climax in Shenmue 3.

Still very excited for both Shenmue 3 and the Hd re-release! And the new dojo which I check every day for the latest news as well as the facebook channels.

Mildly excited and cautiously optimistic, though I expect that will change closer to release. The game appears to be getting better and better from what we have seen with subsequent updates, but we've still seen so very little.

I'm kind of indifferent since it's currently only PS4 and PC. I have a PS4 Pro and a gaming PC but I would have preferred to play it first on my Xbox One X. I'm either going to wait until they port it to XB1 or get it on a deep sale eventually. Shenmue 2 was the reason I bought the original Xbox and I'm bummed that it's not coming out on the XB1 at launch, if ever.

I think this will be another Yu Suzuki masterpiece. The only thing i'm worried about is that we will never see the end of the story.

Reading your comment, I can imagine an IGN review or some other of Shenmue III with the quote "another Yu Suzuki masterpiece". What a day that'll be, if it actually happens.

I'm kind of indifferent since it's currently only PS4 and PC. I have a PS4 Pro and a gaming PC but I would have preferred to play it first on my Xbox One X. I'm either going to wait until they port it to XB1 or get it on a deep sale eventually. Shenmue 2 was the reason I bought the original Xbox and I'm bummed that it's not coming out on the XB1 at launch, if ever.

Blame Phil Spencer. YSNET took the Kickstarter idea to him before Sony and he said no. Not much they can do there.

if you are interested in japanese games in general, you should know that the Xbox One is probably not the appropriate platform.
... you could say its the most useless one, if you are interested in japanese games.

Blame Phil Spencer.

824992.jpg

A lot here did get an OG Xbox just for Shenmue 2 but any relationship built with SEGA/YS.net and MS with Shenmue from that era is over. Shenmue's arrival on PS4, Xbox One and PC is strictly business and unrelated to any of that baggage from any of the platform holders in that era. Times've changed.

It's easy for people to ask for [X] port of game but remember that this decision does not come free. It costs devs money and time, YS.net announced their proposal with the kickstarter and (thankfully) they managed to secure the backing on one of the big three (and allowed for stage time at arguably the most prominent place in the games industry). The devs can only do so much at one time and if we've learned anything from other kickstarters like Mighty No. 9: spreading yourself thin early on will only dilute the focus towards the game and it's quality.

Granted, there's been some insight now that Spencer (supposedly) had zero say/influence back then to support games like Shenmue because MS's corporate structure was out of whack but ever since he's been promoted in the last year or so to overseeing the gaming division at MS he can do what other CEO's can w/o seeking permission of others (i.e. studios buyout).

Either way I dunno where that could of lead, i couldn't see a company like MS having a crowd-funded campaign on their stage (because it would raise concerns/eyebrows by many) but I also couldn't see them pursuing it/placing much money towards it because this project came across as expensive/risky.

Only scenario is it'd have to be funded with strong conviction, commitment and passion for this franchsie and after getting multiple parties (and fans) involved: that's actually possible. Even at AA budget the circumstances would've been different. We probably still wouldn't of heard about it (or just knew about it) and the rerelease of 1&2 still would've been up in the air.

Of all the classic revival properties MS have done so far: only Killer Instinct strongly comes to mind as a success this gen. Games like Crimson Dragon (spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon) flopped and under-delivered hard as a worthy successor. Both were made with a shoe-string budget.

Also remember that back then MS cancelled Phantom Dust reboot because the devs wanted over $5million and they weren't granted that so MS opted for a re-release instead (which tbf was a good outcome but you can see how difficult it is convincing platform holders for investing heavily into old IP's) which is why sega themselves/sony were adamant to fully financing it. It's easy to forget just out of grasp this project was from ever happening but that's how it was.

Also remember folks: the same applies for any Pro/X style upgrades. A lot of testing and work goes into producing these patches (especially for higher-fidelity titles) while Suzuki-san seemed open to the idea: nothing's been confirmed. If you want high

The best thing that you could do if you're really adamant to wanting Shenmue 3 for your platform of choice (Xbox, Switch, Ouya) is to support the platforms it is currently announced for (PS4/PC).

In your case: You already have 2x platforms to choose from, you might as well get some mileage by, you know, using it :) In my case I only own a slim PS4 and a base model Xbox One and will be buying Shenmue 3 for the former, you're lucky you are presented the options to run it at a more demanding level of performance then what my (and for a lot of consumers) consoles can offer.

I really don't understand people who want Shenmue III to end the series. That would, by necessity, make the game 'worse' because it'd be an abbreviated experience that isn't true to the original vision. Very bad idea.

I really don't understand people who want Shenmue III to end the series. That would, by necessity, make the game 'worse' because it'd be an abbreviated experience that isn't true to the original vision. Very bad idea.
For me it is only a matter of personal reason, I had a very strong accident last year, which I still do not recover from, it is normal not to want to wait when you have one of those "near death experiences".
I already waited 16 years for a sequel, I do not want to wait for more years or another Kickstarter campaign.

I don’t play video games anymore, but am greatly anticipating the Shenmue III experience, especially after the drastic enhancements shown in recent video footage and screenshots the past few months. Gameplay isn’t a concern for me, as Yu Suzuki-san & his AM2 colleagues have a proven track record of creative excellence.

I too am suffering from a debilitating health issue, but, even if I don’t see the saga through, would die a bit happier knowing Shenmue goes on to fulfill all...

... what I really hope is that Yu Suzuki changes the original story and ends in this game, I don't want to wait for a "shnmue 4" , i really love Shenmue, but i don't want to wait anymore in my life
As far as I know, Yu already confirmed that they won't finish the story in Shenmue 3.

I have also had the same opinion for many years and always wrote this in previous discussions. A large part of Shenmue is the pacing and removing too much of the story would likely result in something less good. This wouldn't benefit the series as a whole I think.

Besides that, Yu and his team also want to attract new players. Immediately ending the series now wouldn't allow them to continue if reactions and sales are good. But I understand why some people with health issues could think otherwise because of their specific situation.

I think a good question to contemplate is whether or not our Shenmue friends who have passed before us would have wanted Shenmue III to be the conclusion or wished for Shenmue to fulfill its dream?

Something to reflect on...

Last edited:
Back