How strong do you feel about Shenmue 3 now?

I feel that Shenmue has become more and more popular, I'm sure that there are even more Shenmue fans now than in 1999/2000. I get the feeling that Shenmue III will be shorter than Shenmue II (no evidence for this, just a hunch), but even if it were 20 hours of game play (which I'm sure it isn't), I would be over the moon with it, because it's Shenmue and nothing else compares.

Also the screen shots are getting better and better, I just can't wait :eek:

I feel that Shenmue has become more and more popular, I'm sure that there are even more Shenmue fans now than in 1999/2000. I get the feeling that Shenmue III will be shorter than Shenmue II (no evidence for this, just a hunch), but even if it were 20 hours of game play (which I'm sure it isn't), I would be over the moon with it, because it's Shenmue and nothing else compares.

Also the screen shots are getting better and better, I just can't wait :eek:
I agree. Shenmue is more popular now then it ever was.

Im still concerned about the look of the game, aside from that battle image that was released. We also have had quite a bit of delay and little in the way of updates since that stilted trailer (which was a year ago).

The reason I fret about the graphics is because Nocon_Kid got Shenmue 1 (and Ryo - god damn he looks wierd in S3) looking spot on using the Unreal engine for his fan remake project. And thats just 1 person for fun messing with the engine - how on earth the S3 team have been so wide of the mark for so long baffles me. I can only conclude they are going for a different look (hence the new logo etc.) and feel to the game.

My main hope is that it plays like a Shenmue game - you walk around, talk to people, mini-games, collectables and regular beat-em-up battles. Lots of talk about strange battle systems and stuff like that get me worried.

Im still concerned about the look of the game, aside from that battle image that was released. We also have had quite a bit of delay and little in the way of updates since that stilted trailer (which was a year ago).

Did you miss this recent video?...

The reason I fret about the graphics is because Nocon_Kid got Shenmue 1 (and Ryo - god damn he looks wierd in S3) looking spot on using the Unreal engine for his fan remake project. And thats just 1 person for fun messing with the engine - how on earth the S3 team have been so wide of the mark for so long baffles me. I can only conclude they are going for a different look (hence the new logo etc.) and feel to the game.

My main hope is that it plays like a Shenmue game - you walk around, talk to people, mini-games, collectables and regular beat-em-up battles. Lots of talk about strange battle systems and stuff like that get me worried.

If Yu wanted the Shenmue 3 character models to be identical to its predecessors, it would have already been achieved.

It's apparent though that his vision for the game has evolved, and so too have Ryo and Shenhua. It occurs with every video game franchise. Compare Master Chief, Solid Snake, Lara Croft, etc to their originals and you will see the natural progression.

If Yu wanted the Shenmue 3 character models to be identical to its predecessors, it would have already been achieved.

It's apparent though that his vision for the game has evolved, and so too have Ryo and Shenhua. It occurs with every video game franchise. Compare Master Chief, Solid Snake, Lara Croft, etc to their originals and you will see the natural progression.

Solid Snake is a bit of a wierd one because its actually 2 different people in the story line (Solid Snake & Big Boss). Also the newer Tomb Raider is a reboot of the series so you get more creative license there versus a direct sequel.

But yes the characters will develop of course as the visual fidelity has improved.

However this:
Shenmue-III.jpg

Does not look like the same person as this:
177437-ryo_hazuki.jpg

But its not just the characters - there is a visual aesthetic to the Shenmue games that is dramatically missing from S3. I'm ok with it if they've taken a different route - we are 16 odd years down the line. But on the whole it just looks like a default Unreal Engine look to me.

Kid Nocon's effort is so much closer to the original feel of the game (also it was made in 2014/5) - they've gone for a very FPS style over-bloomed look in s3 which is popular with some games (FPS's) but not a lot of adventure style games.
(Kid Nocon's Video)

These in no way are deal breakers or would ruin it or anything - my concern is more routed in we are 9 months past the original release date. We've yet to get anything approching some in-game footage (apart from that 1 battle screenshot), nothing approching modern facial animations and everything still looks a bit amature. Things are looking better but you'd like them to present some of the game this year - you know systems, show it actually runs.

I'm somewhere between baffled and concerned.

But its not just the characters - there is a visual aesthetic to the Shenmue games that is dramatically missing from S3. I'm ok with it if they've taken a different route - we are 16 odd years down the line. But on the whole it just looks like a default Unreal Engine look to me.

YSNet is writing a completely unique set of shaders for the game (and at the time those above screenshots were taken, they have yet to be fully implemented), just as SquareEnix is doing for Kingdom Hearts 3 and so to label Shenmue 3 as the default Unreal aesthetic is incorrect.

Last edited:
I think it'll be a title we can feel at home with. I don't expect them to go too wild with making it feel different. We worried about the battle system and though it may differ, the UI and camera perspectives landed an aura of what we were used to.

It's like years ago, when Duke Nukem Forever came out. Was it a good game by any stretch? Not really, but people wanted to bash it because "Aww, it plays like something 20 years old!"

That was it's point, though. It was meant to play like that. It was intended to invoke the old FPSes of yesteryear, regardless of the technical issues it had.

Shenmue III is made for those who love the series and if it has some archaic features, good. I'll appreciate the nostalgia.

Nothing wrong with delays. At least Nintendo continued to show off gameplay and footage of BotW over the years though...

i dont understand the Zelda comparisons?
comparing Zelda Breath of the Wild with Shenmue 3? thats like comparing GTA 5 with True Crime Streets of LA.
and i dont mean the quality differences, i mean the awareness of the franchise.

the Zelda franchise is huge and probably on the same level as Mario in terms of awareness.
thats a totally different league.

Last edited:
I do think the Zelda game on Switch still looks like a Zelda game - the series has often had a cel-shaded/flat/cartoon look to it.

I'm honestly fine with Shenmue 3 looking different, I'm fine with delays its more the fact that I've yet to be convinced with the quality of the work considering we are 8 months past the original release date.

But also I think a lot of this has to do with the Kickstarter development model where they are showing parts of the game off because they feel obliged to keep us updated. In a normal development cycle we wouldn't have seen any of those early screens and even the trailer looked like it was a bit early if we are being honest. I think they may of learnt there lesson as there has been a lot more radio silence.

Also in reality with modern games they all get the exploration bit correct - I don't doubt Yu on the story because he has had all of it mapped out. As long as the battle system is half decent the game will be great, there's no clever mechanics in Shenmue really (by 2018 standards). Walk around, talk, QTE and beat-em up battles. If a few mini-games are rubbish then so be it you can pretty much ignore them. So I'm confident that the team can get it right as there are so many of the original guys back working on S3. Selfishly I just want it to look a bit more Shenmuey..

Honestly, probably im not the biggest shenmue fan then but in my ideal world: Yu Suzuki is working on AAA titles at Sega, and Shenmue III is not announced. I really wish the best to Suzuki, but i think Shenmue II ending is perfect one. Yes, its a cliffhanger, but its one of the greatest endings ever, and its perfectly outlines the adventure from a revenge-seeking guy to adventure more focused on individuals. Right now its a bit amateurish like game at the end of the day. Obviously Yu and team will deliver the best, but its just dont feel right at the moment. I cant feel it like its Shenmue III, more like just a game.

Back