How to 'modernize' Shenmue IV without losing the essence of Shenmue?

I was surprised to see that they did actually have somebody directing the actors in the studio this time around. I don’t want to criticize him as I don’t know the circumstances, but the whole process definitely felt a little disjointed.

It definitely feels as though the English dub is something of an afterthought for the development team, which I can understand as they are predominantly Japanese and being lead by a Japanese man. Unfortunately, with 80% of the game’s sales coming outside of Japan, this hasn’t done the game any favors commercially or critically.
They had direction for I & II as well, it was just a Japanese person from what I remember. There's an interview on the old Dojo with someone involved in that process from the West, and he details some of the frustrations. I'm on my phone right now and can't find it.

Edit: found it. https://web.archive.org/web/20100711095523/https://www.shenmuedojo.net/JeremyBlaustein.shtml

They had direction for I & II as well, it was just a Japanese person from what I remember. There's an interview on the old Dojo with someone involved in that process from the West, and he details some of the frustrations. I'm on my phone right now and can't find it.

Edit: found it. https://web.archive.org/web/20100711095523/https://www.shenmuedojo.net/JeremyBlaustein.shtml

Jesus, he makes it sound like a total clusterf*%@.

I agree that the English voice acting was pretty terrible imo, and you can tell the actors weren't given any kind of context. Just read this line and go!

The dialogue feels very stilted because the writing

Take each one of those lines, that's just not how people talk, and it's not interesting.
Look at 6:40
R- That's an old bridge.
S- Indeed, that's the verdant bridge.
R- That's what it's called (?)
S- Yes. (?)
S- It's been in Bailu for a while.

No one talks like that.

R- What an old bridge.
S- That's the verdant bridge, it's been in Bailu for a while.
It's the same words, but in the game it feels like disjointed sentences.

Then the next scene shows how Corey just splits the sentences in very weird ways:
R- Is that the village... up ahead ?
Despite being just an irrelevant line, it's the delivery that is just bad.
I use that example because is very apparent, but those weird split sentences are everywhere.

The dialogue feels very stilted because the writing

Take each one of those lines, that's just not how people talk, and it's not interesting.
Look at 6:40
R- That's an old bridge.
S- Indeed, that's the verdant bridge.
R- That's what it's called (?)
S- Yes. (?)
S- It's been in Bailu for a while.

No one talks like that.

R- What an old bridge.
S- That's the verdant bridge, it's been in Bailu for a while.
It's the same words, but in the game it feels like disjointed sentences.

Then the next scene shows how Corey just splits the sentences in very weird ways:
R- Is that the village... up ahead ?
Despite being just an irrelevant line, it's the delivery that is just bad.
I use that example because is very apparent, but those weird split sentences are everywhere.
I noticed Corey’s performance seemed to pick up as the story progressed. The stilted delivery seemed a lot more prevalent nearer the beginning of the story, although perhaps it was just a case of me getting used to it the longer I played.

"Let's........keep moving"
---
Ryo:"Are you sure about that?" long black screen transition "Because, they said some thugs came by"
---
"That's Bailu Village"
5 minutes later
Ryo :"Is that the village, up ahead?"

Oh, I agree, I think Shenmue III displayed some of the weirdest delivery yet. But I'm still not convinced it was just Corey and company phoning it in or being complete idiots. My thinking since i played the first game for the first time was that maybe those lines, with no context, maybe were even split up to begin with, then just spliced together by either a lazy studio, or by non fluent English speakers in Japan. Like the examples dunkey was laughing at in his video. Those are so awkward. "I'm looking for someone named Yuan." "No, I haven't". There is ZERO way that the script actually said that.

Blaustein was reluctant to give specifics, but speculation at the time was that Yu Suzuki gave the text translation to a family member, possibly his brother-in-law, who owned a translation company. This left the voice work to go to a separate company. Unfortunately there was the added burden that Suzuki insisted that all voice acting, including the English, had to be recorded in Japan. “The reason we did it in Japan by the way, was because Mr Suzuki wanted access to it while it was being done. He probably thought that if he could go and quality control it himself it would be better. Or I dunno, maybe he just wanted to leave his desk and go see how things were going. It was done around his schedule. It wasn’t done because it was the best thing to have done. It wasn’t done because we didn’t have the money to do it in New York. It was simply done because that was his decision. Nobody that was doing that thought it was a good decision. And clearly it wasn’t. Add that to my regrets, that we could have done a great job. It’s like, if we had gone to New York or LA and did it, they’d all have been great actors. We could have had a great script and... Let me ask you and the readers, would Shenmue have done better if it’d had better actors, or wouldn’t it have made a difference?”
This is very interesting, just imagine how good the voce acting could've been if Suzuki wasn't so difficult in that department, we could've had Metal Gear Solid levels of voice acting based on the budget they had.

I hold basically nothing sacred when it comes to the series, I think Shenmue is at it's best when it's using any tool at its disposal to tell the story as effectively as possible. I also think that the best way to "modernize" Shenmue is to start again from the beginning, especially after S3 maintained the status quo. I think a huge gameplay shift at this point would just serve to piss off existing fans and be too little too late to attract new ones (though I know this won't happen). With that being said:

- Fix the stilted, robotic dialogue. Remove useless button presses, like pressing A to simply continue the conversation, dialogue skip is a big one, have more natural voice performances (I play in Japanese and I do not consider the bad English dub an asset), remove the ability to speak to any NPC (this is probably the single biggest budget-reducer they could do), instead have NPCs react contextually to Ryo (children can just passively say "hi mister" to Ryo as he walks by them). The more characters sound like humans, like Ren and Ryo in S2, the better Shenmue is imo and the less meme-able it is.

- Figure out how to handle money: if Ryo is supposed to be strapped for cash, then make an artificial limit on how much he can carry. If I started S3 with my S2 money, I wouldn't have had to grind (but the currency is different) so it's hard to know what's intentional, I personally don't think it adds much outside of Ryo needing money for Hong Kong and having his bag stolen so I lean toward just letting the player amass however much money they want and have that continue between games.

- Anything that halts progress, has an instant fail state, or just plain doesn't contribute to the experience in a meaningful way needs to be gone or modified (ie: the stealth is much improved in S2 over S1). Shenmue has this reputation for being the most relaxed, slow-paced game ever and yet it has these crazy intense instant-fail arcade sequences.

- Better integrate combat into the game. S3 does a great job of allowing you to train at dojos (though I'm pretty sure they're not called dojos in China) and this should be a bigger part of the entire series, but I wish the system was more robust or at least required some strategy/tactics.

- Make Ryo's journal an essential part of the experience, allow him to select the objective that he'll talk to NPCs about and make "filling it out" more of a progress indicator.

- Figure out how time should work: is everything governed by a schedule or not? It seems to me there's potential for interesting interactions if Ryo has to balance his detective work with his day to day life, so rather than force the player to interact with Shenhua, make that a choice.

- Make interactions faster. It can still be a slow-paced game but there's no need for environmental interaction to feel so stiff. And reduce the amount of useless interactions, there don't need to be 500 identical drawers to open with nothing in them, and remove cutscenes associated with interactions. I don't need to see a close up of Ryo's face telling himself no one is home every time I knock on a door.

- Shenmue takes place in the 1980s: the fashion, locations, technology and in-world music should be more evocative of that era. S1 and 2 were great in this regard given their limitations and it honestly feels like the S3 artists forgot when it took place. And, I can't believe I have to say this, but it also takes place in China, so no Japanese shrine girls. Also also, this is extremely petty but I prefer real world locations (apart from Bailu Village), and I didn't much care for Niaowu being fictional. For a series so steeped in a specific culture and time I think it's very important to get this kind of thing right.

- Completely redesign the UI to fit with the more minimalist, modern UIs that players are used to.

- There are enough buttons on a controller to not have the face buttons pulling double duty.

Last edited:
Back