How to play a NTSC Japan Game on my DC?

Hi,

Got a question.. browsing through the forum I got inspired to play virtua fighter, so I bought a copy of VF3tb for Dreamcast.

Only after I bought it I noticed that it had a NTSC-J regional code.
What are my options to make it run on my PAL Dreamcast?

(1)
I have two old DCs which are currently not running. Maybe I could fix those and mod it to play Japanese games?

(2)
I guess I could also get a boot CD. Where could I get it, how much does it cost?

(3)
Any other options?

Thanks for the help!

Boot CD is what I use - I got a xploder disc as a freebie on a eBay purchase and that acts as an Action Replay and boot CD in one. Boots all the games I've thrown at it so far.

Yeah, similar to shadowman, I have the black Gameshark disc; used to use Utopia (the reindeer), but after reading that the Utopia software kills your laser, I got the Gameshark.

Super easy and only really takes up 1 more minute of your time.

I stopped using an early version of Utopia myself as it were playing games in 50Hz (bad) and also wouldn't play all games (SF3 Third Strike).

DCX is another really good alternative, I own that boot disc as well and it always worked great, but the Xploder had the action replay stuff so I stuck with that one instead.

DC-X is the one i'd recommened. I've had one for nearly twenty years that still works. It forces 50hz only PAL games into 60hz too which is a massive benefit if you're in the UK. It can also force certain non-vga compatible games into displaying, too :)

DC-X is the one i'd recommened. I've had one for nearly twenty years that still works. It forces 50hz only PAL games into 60hz too which is a massive benefit if you're in the UK. It can also force certain non-vga compatible games into displaying, too :)
Didn't realise a couple of these facts. I gotta give it a try to see if I could get stuff like Vampire Saviour or SSF2X working via RGB or VGA with the disc (as they are yucky composite only otherwise!)

Didn't realise a couple of these facts. I gotta give it a try to see if I could get stuff like Vampire Saviour or SSF2X working via RGB or VGA with the disc (as they are yucky composite only otherwise!)

yeah, it is how i booted up max steel. I think the only ones to NEVER work are KOF Dream Match, Dino Crisis (sigh) and Airforce Delta?

Max Steel is an underrated beat em up, but not really worthwhile for bootdisc hassle--gave it away to a friend of mine.

Last edited:
Back