How would you feel if Microsoft funded Shenmue IV in exchange for exclusivity?

Cave went on Xbox 360 because it was cheaper for them, and their nicher than niche ultra hardcore fanbase only had to follow them regardless.
Overall, almost everytime a non-western focused huge Japanese ip went Microsoft exclusive it always ended up being its grave, starting from the Sega ones.
I could understand all the talk about Xbox being some kind of Dreamcast 2 back in 2002 or whatever, but keep believing this in 2020 when it could not be further from the truth reeks of extreme delusion.
In the end, having Shenmue 4 on Series X or whatever would be fine in a global multiplatform realease strategy, but it should not be a priority with a limited development budget.

Cheaper or not for Cave, the fact is those games were on the Xbox 360 and they must have sold to keep porting releases over the course of its duration. They even had a publisher for some of their titles in Rising Star Games.
A lot of Cave fans were actually on PS3 and you only have to look at some of the old Gamespot or IGN forums to see that many weren't happy that they were exclusive to Xbox - meaning they wouldn't have all bought a 360 just to play those titles.

People do need to get it out of their heads that Xbox is only rampant with gamers who are only interested in FPS and action games.

You can call me delusional all you like, but the Xbox was practically the Dreamcast 2 back in 2002 because a lot of the games that were in development before the Dreamcast was cancelled were then moved to the Xbox - Panzer Dragoon Orta, Crazy Taxi 3, House of the Dead 3, Outrun 2, GunValkyrie etc all prove my point. And as I already mentioned, Sega helped Microsoft get a foot in the games industry by using the Windows operating system on the Dreamcast.

Cheaper or not for Cave, the fact is those games were on the Xbox 360 and they must have sold to keep porting releases over the course of its duration. They even had a publisher for some of their titles in Rising Star Games.
A lot of Cave fans were actually on PS3 and you only have to look at some of the old Gamespot or IGN forums to see that many weren't happy that they were exclusive to Xbox - meaning they wouldn't have all bought a 360 just to play those titles.

People do need to get it out of their heads that Xbox is only rampant with gamers who are only interested in FPS and action games.

Xbox was to a degree practically the Dreamcast 2 back in 2002 because a lot of the games that were in development before the Dreamcast was cancelled were then moved to the Xbox - Panzer Dragoon Orta, Crazy Taxi 3, House of the Dead 3, Outrun 2, GunValkyrie etc all prove my point. And as I already mentioned, Sega helped Microsoft get a foot in the games industry by using the Windows operating system on the Dreamcast.
Sure but Cave had to stick with 360 out of strict necessity, not because their fanbase was there, and it surely didn't help them sell more copies of their games overall, so i don't know what this should demonstrate.

I don't know about Xbox mostly having an fps-focused audience (even though it wouldn't be an hypotesis that outrageous to suggest in the end), but it's sure as hell that Japanese gaming fans are everywhere else but there.

As i said, i agree that the og Xbox can be seen as some kind of Dreamcast 2 for a lot of reasons, but in the end having all those Sega games as exclusives was what commercially killed them once and for all, and pretending that there's still something Sega-ish about Microsoft's consoles in 2020 (or even back in 2005) it's extremely delusional, especially considering that almost every single worthwhile Japanese Sega game comes out literally elsewhere, with even PC being a biggest priority nowadays.

In the end, if they come up with some super-special-ultra deal that provides huge founds for both Shenmue 4 and 5 regardless of their sales then of course, i would accept Microsoft with open arms, but that doesn't seem like a realistic opportunity, so in the end i would just stick with their current multiplatform plans.

It wouldn't be any bigger problem than that S3 was exclusive to PS4. I play on both platforms, and if I didn't I'd get the one S4 was on.

If it means Shenmue 4 getting a triple A budget (even somewhere near that ballpark) that's fine with me. As long as they leave Yu alone, and let him do his thing.

Would not mind at all. This and a new Perfect Dark would me even make considering buying the Series X. So far this console is very uninteresting console for me. I am a PS5 only guy so far.

But in order to play a beloved Franchise again I would consider buying a console to play it.

I'd grab it on PC first. If for some weird reason a PC version didn't happen, I'd pick up an Xbox, but probably not the Series X. If the rumours of a cheaper version of the hardware are true, I'd probably get that.

I'm in the same boat as many people here; I bought an original Xbox for Shenmue IIx, and a PS4 mainly because I knew Shenmue III was coming.

The original Xbox was decent -- I definitely played my fair share of great SEGA games on there -- as well as Splinter Cell, but it's probably one of my least-played consoles I've ever owned. It's up there with the Gamecube, which was basically my Resident Evil machine.

Admittedly, I'm much more brand loyal to Sony, they always seem to develop a catalog of games I personally enjoy quite a bit. I haven't really felt that way about Microsoft since the original run. But for the sake of Shenmue? Put it on Nintendo, PC, Playstation, Xbox, hell put it on Stadia. Get all the money, keep the dream alive :ROFLMAO:

Would totally buy an entire system just for Shenmue though, absolutely, hell yes. Unabashed fanboy.

Back