How would you feel if the next game from YSNET is NOT Shenmue IV?

I'd support any new project. Free-to-play on mobile is a tough market, though. All the big F2P games have huge marketing budgets. The odds would be heavily stacked against them in that space, I reckon.
That would be an issue, but that's where I would think the benefits of the Yu Suzuki name alone would come into play. Especially if it was an arcade based game. There is still some clout in the "Yu Suzuki's first game post Shenmue III to be released" headline, and the social media gaming press can do a lot of work for you, the bigger the name you have.

Also of course, is the possibility of repeating history, with a reveal at a major game conference. Not on the scale of 2015, but Geoff Keighley and his Summer Fest seems to be the big show in town now, which has various mobile and indie trailers in abundance. Geoff posted a picture of him with YS a few years ago, so I would say the YS name alone would get peoples attention, and industry support.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the comments like, "there's no time to waste", or "he should just focus on Shenmue", but it's been well over 2 years now since Shenmue III came out, and there has been no news. No major developments, since we have been told that a publisher was being sought. Given the criticisms of the Kickstarter, the mixed reception to the game itself, and the seemingly impossible resolution to how much money the game actually made, is it likely an investor is knocking on YSNET's door with millions, to make not just one, but at least 2 more Shenmue games to complete the story?
Whether the answer is yes or no, self funding is the only way YS himself can secure his own future, instead of waiting on someone else to come along with the funds, and if he has all of these ideas, concepts and close to finished products just... sitting there... then why not throw one out, and see what happens. The man knows games, especially ones which get the player 30 seconds of fun, then want to pay more to have another go, and all of those transactions going directly into the business account of YSNET would lead to Shenmue IV quicker than waiting on the mysterious money man to show up one day IMO.

I'd support any new project. Free-to-play on mobile is a tough market, though. All the big F2P games have huge marketing budgets. The odds would be heavily stacked against them in that space, I reckon.

I think they'd have more luck in the indie console/PC space, especially if they could get on GamePass or something. People would be hyped to play a new arcade-style Yu Suzuki game. The market is there for focused arcade experiences with modest production values.
I agree with this to be honest. The mobile market is completely saturated. I don't really see what YS could do to gain any kind of space in that market.

A new indie arcade-style game could work though.

Arcade style game with some cheap DLC could work maybe?

Arcade style game with some cheap DLC could work maybe?
I actually think somewhere along these lines might be a better money-spinner than a mobile game in 2022?

Arcade-style games are very much in vogue at the minute and Steam is packed with them. There are quite a few Outrun clones/pastiches that have done well, though I'd expect Yu Suzuki to think outside the box and come up with something new.

Launching on digital platforms like Steam would also mean YsNet could self publish.

That's very true, especially if there is some kind of Space Harrier concept in his folder of games. The retro/nostalgia/Sega crowd would eat that up. But again, the problem with that lies in how much YSNET would get out of such a release. Sega would get the majority, due to it being their IP at the end of the day.

I guess I am just leaning towards mobile platforms, for the ease of a tap and a buy on the store. Both for a F2P game, as well as any potential in app purchases. Lots of 0.99p purchases add up. That, and the fact to spare hypothesizing, going on any official information we have had in the past (Shenmue Gai and Gan! Gan! Pirates)

My opinion is why invest work on another project other than Shenmue IV if the Shenmue Anime might be launching just around the corner.
I don't mind Ys Net taking on smaller projects for other companies like Sega, etc...
But I believe the main focus should be only on Shenmue IV; specially if the Anime was purposely create to attract new players and bring back the excitement to fans of the series that weren't happy with Shenmue 3.
One of the things I think could make Shenmue IV a reality is a deal between YS Net and Epic Games.
Shenmue was the game that revolutionized the way video games are made today; and Epic is also doing the same today with the technology they provide to create them with "Unreal Engine 5".

I think Shenmue IV would be a great example for a showcase for what a small studio like Ys Net can create with the technology provided by Epic Games by using Unreal Engine 5.
I think they wouldn't need a massive budget since we know for a fact that they can port all the work they have done on Shenmue 3 in the Unreal Engine 4 to Unreal Engine 5; plus this time around they will have much more experience with the engine and besides that Shenmue IV will benefit from all the graphicall and technological improvements from Unreal Engine 5.

Plus I think that Epic are probably the only company around that can embark in such a project without fear of losing any money.

My only issue with a deal with Epic while it sounds good, is that it doesn't alienate ps4 and Xbox players forcing them to play it on PC.

This wouldn't be a money-maker per se, but SEGA should contract YS Net to make Space Harrier VR. It's one of the most fitting retro/VR conversions I can think of. Give it a cool low-poly look, aim/shoot with your hand, tilt your head to move...very similar on-rails games have been proven to work in VR.

This wouldn't be a money-maker per se, but SEGA should contract YS Net to make Space Harrier VR. It's one of the most fitting retro/VR conversions I can think of. Give it a cool low-poly look, aim/shoot with your hand, tilt your head to move...very similar on-rails games have been proven to work in VR.
Could be one to work, since we know of a rebooted Space Harrier, as well as YS at least having tried VR recently. Also he has mentioned the ideas about movement, and even thinking movement to play games in the future as opposed to a controller.

Like anything though, it comes down to also having a bit of luck really. Or a bit of business acumen and planning. If there was a release of Space Harrier VR, it could potentially a massive hit if it was released alongside (or even bundled) with new technology, such as the upcoming PSVR2. If it was released now.... probably do just ok since PSVR has been a bit stagnant, and coming to the end of it's current generation. But releasing it alongside the PSVR2, it will shoot up in popularity and sales, with whatever games being released around the same time getting a major rub from that.

Games Epic publishes will come to console, they won't be PC exclusive.
Yep, case in point:

5060760885014.jpg

One of the things I think could make Shenmue IV a reality is a deal between YS Net and Epic Games.

Would be nice if Yu Suzuki could make a deal with Epic Games, the deal to finish the Shenmue series in Shenmue V, developing IV and V together or something like this.

I agree, I don't mind Ys Net taking on smaller projects for other companies like Sega, etc...

I will support Yu Suzuki if this projects happen but i believe that the focus should be in Shenmue IV, if Yu Suzuki wants of course.

Yu Suzuki is not getting any younger, we don't know when he will retire.

In my opinion would be nice if Yu Suzuki make an official Shenmue app, a Shenmue app for everything Shenmue. A Shenmue app where Yu Suzuki can share informations, side stories games maybe in Visual Novel style or other style, mini games, capsule toys and much more, so many possibilities of things Yu Suzuki can do in a Shenmue app.

In the app Yu Suzuki can put things we have to pay like more chances to get capsule toys and things like that, Yu Suzuki can even put a option where we can donate, another idea is to have a premium plan where people can get special things in the app, this way helping Ys Net, i'm not saying this would help a lot but it is an idea, i would spend money on this app for sure, and i think a lot of people here would do the same thing, especially to help Shenmue IV become a reality.

In the Shenmue III credits Yu Suzuki said that as long as there are those who wish to see Shenmue live on that he will never give up on his personal journey to complete the saga, with all the informations we got i think Yu Suzuki is developing Shenmue IV but can't announce yet.

All i know is that i will support Yu Suzuki projects.

Honestly, if i were i video gamer publisher, I'd do everything i could to secure ysnet and kojima productions.

Epic, Sony or MS. Although, Epic seems most likely as they have history together already.

Only time will tell. We definitely need to target that tim sweeny epic guy every shenmue day.

The sad truth is that gaming isn't exactly known for their auters the same way as music or film. We want to play the next Yu Suzuki game. The great majority want to play the next Call of Duty or FIFA game regardless on who makes it.

The other sad truth is that even though some companies are making obsence amounts of money, it doesn't mean they'll spend it on funding new games. I would love for Suzuki to get a blank cheque, but i'm sure company shareholders would object because they only made $150m instead of $160m.

I desperately want to be proved wrong.

Of course the ideal scenario is that what they have been working on is Shenmue IV and everything is going well.

But if it did turn out to be a different game I would want to take a look at it and definitely support it if I can, it would depend on the platform as I cannot play many games on my PC as it is not built for that and my current gen console is the Xbox Series X, I only got the PS4 to play Shenmue III on and have no intention of getting a PS5 (unless Shenmue IV is another console exclusive). I guess the other deal breaker for me would be if the game is a genre I don't have any interest in (sports, and racing for example).

As for it being a mobile game, it could go either way but whilst there is a lot of money in that market it seems incredibly difficult to break into with a big hit game, even games attached to major IPs don't always do particularly well and end up closing service.

Back