I decided I should probably do this at some point... Full Shenmue Zero Playthrough

Duchess May

Shenmue Zero Creator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Making my own game
XBL
Duchess May

I wanted to get the whole game recorded and uploaded for archival purposes. It's been 18 years since I made the game (good grief, I'm almost twice the age I was when I made it). It wasn't even strange booting it up and playing through it. I figured so few people probably beat the game due to a lack of telling the player what to do and in hindsight perhaps a journal may have helped... if only there was some inspiration for a journal... haha. Maybe I'll just remake it in two years for the 20th anniversary. I'm pretty good in Unreal Engine 4 these days. Could probably remake it in a couple weeks, to be honest. That said... there's more information in the video description specific to the game.

To all of you who are still around who were part of the project back in 2003, you freakin' rock! Especially Andy without whom this could not have been possible. So much so that the game still has a listing on Shenmue Dojo. I even saw sometime last year somebody gave the game an IMDb page! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9460956/

Gregory, did you do that? Is he still around? Haha. Oh man, it's funny, because I have an actual IMDb for professional life this day and age. But this made me even happier.

If you do download it, I recommend Windows 98 SE compatibility and Administrator on Windows 10 (but really, just watch the video... it's the whole game in under 17 minutes) -> https://shenmuedojo.com/media/shenmue-zero/

Last edited:

I wanted to get the whole game recorded and uploaded for archival purposes. It's been 18 years since I made the game (good grief, I'm almost twice the age I was when I made it). It wasn't even strange booting it up and playing through it. I figured so few people probably beat the game due to a lack of telling the player what to do and in hindsight perhaps a journal may have helped... if only there was some inspiration for a journal... haha. Maybe I'll just remake it in two years for the 20th anniversary. I'm pretty good in Unreal Engine 4 these days. Could probably remake it in a couple weeks, to be honest. That said... there's more information in the video description specific to the game.

To all of you who are still around who were part of the project back in 2003, you freakin' rock! Especially Andy without whom this could not have been possible. So much so that the game still has a listing on Shenmue Dojo. I even saw sometime last year somebody gave the game an IMDb page! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9460956/

Gregory, did you do that? Is he still around? Haha. Oh man, it's funny, because I have an actual IMDb for professional life this day and age. But this made me even happier.

If you do download it, I recommend Windows 98 SE compatibility and Administrator on Windows 10 (but really, just watch the video... it's the whole game in under 17 minutes) -> https://shenmuedojo.com/media/shenmue-zero/
Awesome.

Would you mind if I added this video to the Dojo archives?

One time i tried to download the game but it didn't worked on my notebook Windows 10, i was just able to watch the intro scene, when i started playing something happened and i couldn't played the game

" I recommend Windows 98 SE compatibility and Administrator on Windows 10" i don't remember if i tried this that time, i will try again.

The idea of a Shenmue Zero is really nice, here on the Dojo @blixt did a thread with ideas for a bigger Shenmue Zero, i think is a great idea and i gave my ideas for this too in the thread.
Shenmue 0 prequel ideas | Shenmue Dojo here is the link for the thread if you want to see.

One of the ideas in the thread for a bigger Shenmue Zero is Ryo being able to go to School, to Suka High, there Ryo would be able to do a lot of nice mini games and activities, another great idea is to tell the story of how Ryo got the jacket, would be nice a scene with him buying the jacket and putting for the first time, another nice idea is showing Ryo a little more happy and close to Nozomi in this game, in a time Iwao was alive so it would be nice to show Ryo a little more happy.

Yu Suzuki reveals how Ryo got his bandage on a Twitter event called "#YouAskYu". "It didn't appear in Chp.1, but there was a martial arts event. The scar is from the final match." It would be nice to tell this story on Shenmue Zero, would be nice to see in the game how Ryo got his scar, and the tournament could be really fun with a lot of nice fights. 😊

If you like the ideas and want to do a remake please talk to me about it, i really want to help with nice ideas, i can compose songs for the game and more, will be a nice experience for me.

Shenmue Zero is a amazing idea in my opinion, we can deepen the characters more in Yokosuka and create new cool stories and scenes for them.

Thanks for creating Shenmue Zero, really nice idea. 😊

Last edited:
Remake would be awesome! Loved Shenmue Zero back in the day. Never was able to get my computer to run past the arcade thought...

When i try to play this happen... Anyone knows how to fix this?

ShenmueZero.png

ShennmueZero..png

I remember beating this a year or two ago. What a trip it was haha! Cool work way back when.

One time i tried to download the game but it didn't worked on my notebook Windows 10, i was just able to watch the intro scene, when i started playing something happened and i couldn't played the game

" I recommend Windows 98 SE compatibility and Administrator on Windows 10" i don't remember if i tried this that time, i will try again.

The idea of a Shenmue Zero is really nice, here on the Dojo @blixt did a thread with ideas for a bigger Shenmue Zero, i think is a great idea and i gave my ideas for this too in the thread.
Shenmue 0 prequel ideas | Shenmue Dojo here is the link for the thread if you want to see.

One of the ideas in the thread for a bigger Shenmue Zero is Ryo being able to go to School, to Suka High, there Ryo would be able to do a lot of nice mini games and activities, another great idea is to tell the story of how Ryo got the jacket, would be nice a scene with him buying the jacket and putting for the first time, another nice idea is showing Ryo a little more happy and close to Nozomi in this game, in a time Iwao was alive so it would be nice to show Ryo a little more happy.

Yu Suzuki reveals how Ryo got his bandage on a Twitter event called "#YouAskYu". "It didn't appear in Chp.1, but there was a martial arts event. The scar is from the final match." It would be nice to tell this story on Shenmue Zero, would be nice to see in the game how Ryo got his scar, and the tournament could be really fun with a lot of nice fights. 😊

If you like the ideas and want to do a remake please talk to me about it, i really want to help with nice ideas, i can compose songs for the game and more, will be a nice experience for me.

Shenmue Zero is a amazing idea in my opinion, we can deepen the characters more in Yokosuka and create new cool stories and scenes for them.

Thanks for creating Shenmue Zero, really nice idea. 😊
Yeah, maybe! My current project I work on upwards of 80 hours a week, an online RPG, so we'll see... I'd like to do everything from the ground up though, no re-use of models or materials. I have quite a collection of UE4 assets and animations, however.

Pretty good with Unreal Engine 4, you say? Have you given any thought to throwing your hat in with the Dragon & Phoenix Collection team?
Of course, but I work on my own game full-time outside of work and expect it to take me another 1.5-2 years to complete. If you want to send me a Discord invite, I can probably offer advice or look at Blueprints if people have specific questions.

Back