I fear Yu Suzuki has lost sight of what's essential here...

I've said this in previous posts and I'll reiterate it here, the main purpose of Shenmue III was to get Ryo out of the cave.

See, this is exactly how I see it, too.
IMO, 3 was meant to revive the franchise and take us back to that unique atmosphere we've been missing all these years.
Story progression and character development I'm sure will come with Shenmue 4.

In its early days, Shenmue III would have been a very different game to the final product. In fact, I fear the reception would have been worse if we did get a $6 million Shenmue III.

The fact is the game never had a set budget and it was always changing as the budget climbed. Frankly I'm surprised we even got as polished a product as we did get.

In one of his video interviews (when talking about initial budget) Suzuki indicated a smartphone, as the kind of game we would have got with just $2 million... the risk was real.

People should be REALLY greateful that we got a full shenmue open world game with this quality and this level of polish.

Last edited:
Yu-San is the true deal. At least for an hardcore traditionalist like myself that hates MGS and Death Stranding and RE4.

Same here.
I thought I was the only one who never understood the hype for RE4 and Death Stranding, thinking those games were sooooo overrated.
IMO, best Kojima's games are Snatcher, Policenauts and the first MGS on PlayStation. All the rest of his productions is pure low-cost psychological masturbation.
Sorry for off-topic.

TBH for the most part, fans want to see the story move forward. Shenmue 3 didnt do that and made the story a mockery in a lot of regards. I can look past Shenmue 3's gameplay issues but the way the story and characters were handled is just a big no. The scale of the game was fine overall but a lot of the elements were just executed poorly. Hell Niaowu should have been skipped in favor of the original planed 3rd area.

Same here.
I thought I was the only one who never understood the hype for RE4 and Death Stranding, thinking those games were sooooo overrated.
IMO, best Kojima's games are Snatcher, Policenauts and the first MGS on PlayStation. All the rest of his productions is pure low-cost psychological masturbation.
Sorry for off-topic.
Metal gear solid 3 is also great. It had 0 pretensions, solid gameplay, simple spy setting and it worked.

Kojima in its best when he does what he always wanted to be a film maker (specially his 80s and early 90s action film) , and when he does that in videogame format they turn quite well.

I think that in Shenmue 3 Yu Suzuki focused to much in pleasing the fans with things that would remind them of the first two games.
In the end he over did it and in my opinion missed out on what fans really wanted that was a complete continuation of the Shenmue story just like Yu Suzuki had envisioned in the first place.
I've played Shenmue 1&2 at least once per year in all of these years until Shenmue 3 came out and I guess most of the hardcore fans must have done the same, so for us there wasn't that much need for fan service anyways and what we really wanted was for the series to continue is natural course.

I actually think the opposite is true. A lot of "New" Things added just made the game worse.
1) too many mini games
2) too many items, capsule toys is ENOUGH.
3) Hunger system why?
4) Too many foods why?
5) I don't care about clothes was ok touch yet not necessary would prefer if Ryo just looked better.
6) Fishing and gathering herbs was ok but again Not needed at all.

more budget should had gone to
1) Add throw moves
2) Use same Capsule Sega toys from old games no need to add new ones..
3) Better story....

Would Prefered if game was based on Baihu only if it was more Shenmue 1 likes.

I actually think the opposite is true. A lot of "New" Things added just made the game worse.
1) too many mini games
2) too many items, capsule toys is ENOUGH.
3) Hunger system why?
4) Too many foods why?
5) I don't care about clothes was ok touch yet not necessary would prefer if Ryo just looked better.
6) Fishing and gathering herbs was ok but again Not needed at all.

more budget should had gone to
1) Add throw moves
2) Use same Capsule Sega toys from old games no need to add new ones..
3) Better story....

Would Prefered if game was based on Baihu only if it was more Shenmue 1 likes.
I think you miss understood me. My opinion about Shenmue 3 is very similar to yours, almost in every aspect that you mentioned except on the hunger system and the herb gathering. I think that those features are a welcome edition to the series; I just think that the hunger system isn't well balanced and that it can be improved a lot more or can even be changed becuase it makes the game feel more realistic and also gives meaning and purpose to the overall vendors in the game unlike the previous titles where most of the thinks you bought didn't have any purpose or use in the game. Herb gathering is a part of the lore that was implemented in the game because Shenhua's father needed herbs that serve as medicine to help him with his illness; besides that gathering herbs and mixing them to make medicine and tea is also part of chinese culture.
Fishing and wood chopping are very well implemented and make sense because these are activities that you will almost certainly find in the country side in almost any part of the world. Most of these activities were mentioned by Shenhua in Shenmue 2 when she and Ryo were on their way to Bailu Village and in my opinion it is amazing that Yu Suzuki and his team made the effort to implemente them in the game.
As for the story I completly agree with you and I've even mentioned recently that the efforts that were put into the DLC's could have been put to much better use in the main story line of the game and would have given us a much better overhaul experience.

I would rather say that Yu-San is the only japanese dev out there that does not lose his sight. Even after a long break his Shenmue 3 looks like a Shenmmue 3 fans of the old series would recognize.

Other game devs could achive that. The new Kojima games for example have nothing to do with his old games in the 90s. The games of Mikami too. His new games feel completely different than the old ones.

Yu-San is the true deal. At least for an hardcore traditionalist like myself that hates MGS und Death Stranding and RE 4,.

You know the deal

I would actually like if the game was sold per Chapter.
Yes it would be more expensive.
Yet i think they would had done a better job.
Sadly last area was obviously rushed.
As well we could have had 3 locations instead if it was sold per chapter.
as a DLC I would prefer to bring back sega capsules.... For me this was a big let down and well throw moves.

I would actually like if the game was sold per Chapter.
Yes it would be more expensive.
Yet i think they would had done a better job.
Sadly last area was obviously rushed.
As well we could have had 3 locations instead if it was sold per chapter.
as a DLC I would prefer to bring back sega capsules.... For me this was a big let down and well throw moves.
That might be the way to get the rest of the game made, but I know that'd be met with a lot of pushback. I think the solid core of Shenmue fans would support such a release. Probably wouldn't turn the end of the franchise into the next AAA masterpiece, but it would get the series concluded.

I'd honestly be happy to support Shenmue 4 in the form of story DLC for Shenmue 3. Won't happen, but it would have been a cheaper option development wise and I'm sure most fans would have been okay to shell out for further season passes.

I just wanted him to advance the story a tad more..

Maybe in the future it will be much easier to make a game. We are having such advances in Artificial Intelligence. I think maybe in 10 or 15 years, an AI could make a game for us, with almost no cost. We'd only need the story from Yu himself.

I just wanted him to advance the story a tad more..

Maybe in the future it will be much easier to make a game. We are having such advances in Artificial Intelligence. I think maybe in 10 or 15 years, an AI could make a game for us, with almost no cost. We'd only need the story from Yu himself.
Well Yu Suzuki is 62 year old, he may be dead in 10-15 years or too old to make games. Yu needs to finish the Series this decade or else it will never finish.

Last edited:
Well Yu Suzuki is 62 year old, he may be dead in 10-15 years or too old to make makes. Yu needs to finish the Series this decade or else it will never finish.
Well that and current IA is a bubble that will probably explode again. It happened twice already in the past and deep learning is not as general as media tries to sell.

Well Yu Suzuki is 62 year old, he may be dead in 10-15 years or too old to make makes. Yu needs to finish the Series this decade or else it will never finish.
A large part of it is probably written already. I think as long as the central pieces are in, other collaborators of Yu could finish the story.
Well that and current IA is a bubble that will probably explode again. It happened twice already in the past and deep learning is not as general as media tries to sell.
I'm sorry but, I don't see any other way this will be made. The AI thing is accelerating. Once we close in on the singularity, the evolution is gonna be pretty quick. And gettng faster and faster.

A large part of it is probably written already. I think as long as the central pieces are in, other collaborators of Yu could finish the story.

I'm sorry but, I don't see any other way this will be made. The AI thing is accelerating. Once we close in on the singularity, the evolution is gonna be pretty quick. And gettng faster and faster.
It is quite unlikely that there will be a singularity any time soon.

The current IA boom is caused by Deep Learning algorithm and its ease of use due the release of Google Tensorflow and the high level API Keras that makes creating stuff usin deep learning easy.

There is a bubble because now there are a lot of non tech savy investors pouring money on IA startups. When most of them fail to deliver investment money will stop making the IA slowdown again (happened twice in the past)

And deep learning is not general at all. You need massive datasets to produce accurate trained models and a lot of machine time to train them (aka it costs money) and even then what that can actually do is identify patterns and act on those patterns like tag photos (color/shape patterns), fraud detection (behaviour anomaly detection aka data that feels off), speech to text, auto translation, there are some extremely experimental things like photo to 3d mesh but are extremely limited at the moment.

At the moment I can only see the big ones doing massive progress on that field (Google, Amazon and Microsoft in their datacenters and users using their services) and even then that solution is not general enough to solve something as complex as creating videogames when they can not even write a coherent book and that can take more than a decade.

Back