I want to reccommend some crazy high difficulty curve RPGs

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
These may not be great games in the whole sense of a complete package, but they earned some modicum of respect from me for wrecking my brain and making me work to earn that credit screen(With the exception of one title). Sure you can cheese them by using guides...but that's killing the whole point of these games. The fun comes from trying to figure out how to progress by going in blind, especially since they don't really hand-hold nor have a lot of grinding power-creeps/loots but only introduced you the bare minimum rules to get you started and then you have to experiment and figure out the rest on your own. Again, these are potential rage-quit tier rpgs, but if you're up to the challenge...

1.) Growlanser Generations

Wanna see a game that mixes ATB+TURNBASE+RTS? It's a crazy formula and even more crazier when game/story changing events are tied to how well you understand this system. Whether you let an enemy successfully retreat will summon reinforcements(But an important side-story character you need to interact with may show up as part of that squad sent to reinforced the enemy), or Morale/relationships meters will fall or rise depending on who you support or characters you lose in battle, and how you play out an encounter can even alter story and/or map clear objectives on the spot. It's crazy.

2.) The Z Hero Project

One of the most frustrating trial and error game I've come across. You will die over and over again because that's by design. Each dungeon demands a perfect run and heavily penalizes you for every fail run(Resets all current progress within the dungeon), while giving you a huge ton of options to figure it out and tackle it again. The coolest thing about it all tho...is that you get a customized theme song based on how you mix and match your gears/body modifications/and skill load-out.

3.) Thracia 776

The most sadistic SRPG Entry of the FE franchise finally fan-translated for western audience. There is a sad backstory to this title and while everyone at intelligent system was depressed when developing this game it became a monster of a game. This game will grief you & be unapologetic about it. Srsly, you'll be running into meta-endgame enemy units before you're even prepped to match them. Pitting your wits using underpowered units against a ruthless Ai with all the brawn. Also has some of the hugest maps for a retro SRPG game I've ever seen to boot.

4.) Natural Doctrine

This game is brutal. With one character death = game-over. No buts. I almost rage-quit this game twice personally. You have to micromanage and make sure all action is accounted for before you confirm your turn over to the enemy. Every turn is info-dump heavy and full of details you must combed over carefully or else you'll regret it. Doesn't help that all enemy hit's like a truck so getting a game over screen & forfeiting all progress just by losing one unit is very likely. A walking on egg-shelled pressure plagues you entirely throughout this TacticalRPG.

5.) Unlimited Saga

I gave up on this game for my own sanity. It's the DnD of JRpgs. Everything majorly is based on RNG. Whether you will beat this game depends if you have the patience of gaming the odds. Almost everything from progression to victory depends on the roll of the dice and luck of the draw. This entire rpg basically is a game of lucky hits.

Well that's it for now. Have you played any/or all of these already? If so, how was your first impression? Any personal recommendation of high risks high learning curve Rpgs you've come across?

-Darkest Dungeon, and the following fan streaming video is what the developers use to sell the game just to give you an idea...

-Divinity: Original Sin II on Honour Mode. You will not find anything with an higher risk than that, I tell you.

Hoshigami on the PS1(It's the hardest Tactic/RPG, and personally I rate it as the best one of all time, if only by a small margin)

Wizardry 1, and Wizardry 2 for the NES(These games mean business, no loading past saves, and if a character dies more then 3 times, they're gone for good, forcing you to create a new char from scratch. Furthermore if the party gets wiped out in the dungeon, you need to create new character to go and find them, so you can bring them back to be revived,/attempt to revive them.

Dragon Warrior 2(such a great game, but omg It's insanely punishing. There's a pretty low lv cap, so youll never be overpowered, the dungeons are long as hell, plus riddled with hazards/traps, not to mention are very maze like, and the AI might as well say, focus on the weakest character, until that char is dead lol)

Hoshigami on the PS1(It's the hardest Tactic/RPG, and personally I rate it as the best one of all time, if only by a small margin)

Wizardry 1, and Wizardry 2 for the NES(These games mean business, no loading past saves, and if a character dies more then 3 times, they're gone for good, forcing you to create a new char from scratch. Furthermore if the party gets wiped out in the dungeon, you need to create new character to go and find them, so you can bring them back to be revived,/attempt to revive them.

Dragon Warrior 2(such a great game, but omg It's insanely punishing. There's a pretty low lv cap, so youll never be overpowered, the dungeons are long as hell, plus riddled with hazards/traps, not to mention are very maze like, and the AI might as well say, focus on the weakest character, until that char is dead lol)

I'll put it in my list of diffcult games to check out. thnx for recc.

Does dark souls count? either way growlancer can be #@#$^ to play and if you going for 100% might as well look at a guide. never completed it because I lost my save file and seems I saved at a point in where I made a mistake and confused myself before that.

Back