Ideally, What Did You Want From The Development of Shenmue III?

Honestly, I got what I expected and even more from the basic gameplay standpoint. I just wish Sega could've provided more support and move the story a little bit more than where the 3rd one ended.

Not only that but Lan Di could have absolutely annihilated Ryo right there and then for daring to mess with his plans. I love the helicopter scene but I’m almost certain that if this were part of 3, some folks would use what I said above as a stick to beat the game with.
Yeah, and I'm kinda sure that even if Shenmue 4 and 5 come out, they will never explain that why he escaped.
For now the only explanation is that he escaped because the plot wanted him to escape.

Not only that but Lan Di could have absolutely annihilated Ryo right there and then for daring to mess with his plans. I love the helicopter scene but I’m almost certain that if this were part of 3, some folks would use what I said above as a stick to beat the game with.

Yeah, and I'm kinda sure that even if Shenmue 4 and 5 come out, they will never explain that why he escaped.
For now the only explanation is that he escaped because the plot wanted him to escape.

Lan Di doesn't care about Ryo. Plain and simple. Unless he learns that he has the second mirror.
Why did he escaped ? Because it was a waste of time for him, Yuanda Zhu was retrieved by the others and the extraction wasn't possible anymore. Plain and simple. Dou Niu fucked up

Also, the scene was amazing af.

But I love the revisionism going on here.
"Shenmue II wasn't that great yknow"
"Shenmue III has a new game + !"
It almost feels like because it's difficult for some people to argue good things around III that they must shit on I and II.

Shenmue III wished it even had 10 seconds of that rooftop scene. But hey, at least the cutscenes are widescreen !

"Shenmue II wasn't that great yknow"
"Shenmue III has a new game + !"
It almost feels like because it's difficult for some people to argue good things around III that they must shit on I and II.

Care to direct me to posts shitting on Shen1/2 for the sake of Shen3? Genuinely curious because I maybe see something along lines to arguing--outside of Kowloon--most of the series has been pretty slow. Myself included, but I did not intend to convey the first two as bad games just because I love the third.

The mundane minutia of the gameplay extended into story, AFAIC. Love me some slow burn. Ever seen AMC Rubicon? Totally sandwiched and lost in between Breaking Bad and Walking Dead's respective mega-hit popularity. Awww yeah. 4 or 5 episodes to basically get anything exciting or intense on screen. And i loved every second of the anxious buildup.

- Rapport system

- Skill tree system

- Character perspective system

- Baisha village

- Infiltration mission

- Smaller areas and more focus on the story and character interactions

"Shenmue II wasn't that great yknow”

Who the heck has even said that? Certainly not me. Think you are projecting somewhat. A lot of your posts come across very reactionary.

edit: and just to be clear, S2 is my favourite instalment and the reason I became somewhat obsessed with Shenmue.

Last edited:
I will also testify to the point of people putting down the originals in defense of Shenmue 3.
"None of Shenmue games gave us good plot development" "They all have padding" "The story was always mediocre"
Not saying it happened in this thread but.. it happens.

Would have been nice if some of the key items from Shenmue 1 & 2 got used in some way. Not the super story related ones even. Maybe at least the two fake coins Ryo got from Ren. Ever since Shenmue 2 I wondered if Ryo would have the guts to use the coins the same way Ren did.

Also Demon’s Triangle! Wanted to beat some thugs with that move on 3. Its not even a throw move (or is it?). Definitely want it in the game.

I will also testify to the point of people putting down the originals in defense of Shenmue 3.
"None of Shenmue games gave us good plot development" "They all have padding" "The story was always mediocre"
Not saying it happened in this thread but.. it happens.

Maybe, can't say I've noticed. Shenmue 2 is my favourite game of all time, but that's not to say it's completely flawless. No game is.

“Ideally,” for the game to have been out on Dreamcast back in 2003 lol. Maybe as a Japanese exclusive. As much as Saturn fans are going to hate me for saying this, but if Sega didn’t fire Stolar, Dreamcast would’ve had a life as long as it did in Japan.

“Ideally,” for the game to have been out on Dreamcast back in 2003 lol. Maybe as a Japanese exclusive. As much as Saturn fans are going to hate me for saying this, but if Sega didn’t fire Stolar, Dreamcast would’ve had a life as long as it did in Japan.

Why a Japan exclusive? It didn’t perform all that well in Japan. Was more successful in Europe, UK and the US.

Back