IF shenmue 3 and beyond...

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
has the same budget as Rockstar's gta5 and rdr2 will it be more revolutionary and outmatch/paced said title? Would Yu set a new industry trend again? Or has gaming peaked and S3+ would just be prettier graphically with all that money injection? Once the Saga is finished...will it be the pinnacle of gaming? Should it be the "gold standard" for all open world design? Let me hear some of your speculations/food for thoughts?:unsure::giggle::geek:

Shenmue is never going to be allocated a budget even remotely close to that of Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption. Why? It's a niche series, which means high risk for potentially little return, whereas the latter series are guaranteed to see a return and fill pockets many, many, many times over.

The evolution, improvement, and refinement of the open-world formula is going to be few-and-far-between from now until the future unless something truly game-changing comes along, at which point the aforementioned will become the yardstick by which subsequent titles are measured. I sincerely doubt Shenmue is going to be responsible for this.

Wishful thinking is all well and good until reality kicks down the door.

Personally I think the pressure of Shenmue 3 being a groundbreaking game is unwarranted. It doesn't have to break current trends at this day and age. Right now all I need is solid gameplay mechanics and the story to be compelling and I'm good.

Personally I think the pressure of Shenmue 3 being a groundbreaking game is unwarranted. It doesn't have to break current trends at this day and age. Right now all I need is solid gameplay mechanics and the story to be compelling and I'm good.
I'd echo that.

As much as we would all love Shenmue 4 to have a $100 million budget it's just not going to happen. It is a niche game and most of what it would do has already been done before it.

For me it is all about depth of story, characters and immersion. As long as Shenmue has that then we will be more than happy. I'd have taken Shenmue 3 on the Dreamcast now if it meant getting to play an awesome story.

hmm, if SH1&2 has proven something, it is that people can find them refreshing,
compared to most "games of today".

I'm not sure, but I think SH3 might be "groundbreaking", by the sheer fact he might provide people with an alternative view on what a modern game can be and should be.

Shenmue will probably keep a moderate budget due to its non standard feel.
(As it has been said, this is a niche kind of game, so securing funds is less guaranted.)

Groundbreaking may be discovered in sum rather than parts...
When posterity reflects on the history of the interactive arts...
May Shenmue be seminal to serial story?

If Given bill Gates money, all things are possible. Knowing Suzuki, it’s be things we wouldn’t have predicted.

Either way, I just want a fun game

Keep in mind Dust was made with a $10k budget, and it’s still a fun game

I think people expect Shenmue 3 to break ground because Yu Suzuki games tend to introduce new concepts no matter the budget.

Hey, 'mue II is still the greatest achievement in gaming, so while 'mue III doesn't have to be, we'll see ;)

I'm sure Suzuki will innovate in some way. Maybe this time Shenmue 3 won't be as groundbreaking graphically wise because of the budget but I'm sure he is trying some new gameplay mechanics (like the new fighting engine). Besides, you don't need a huge amount of money to make a game artistically beautiful and Shenmue 3 will be because Suzuki knows how to do it.

Shenmue 3 doesn't need a giant budget again, as what made it groundbreaking on Dreamcast can't be replicated due to modern tech. A bigger but modest budget I'm sure could only help the game, but going for GTA levels is just overkill and would probably ruin the game and make it not-Shenmue IMO...

Why do they need a big budget to make a game that takes place in rural China anyway? Seems like we're missing the forest for the trees. :) I think they're going to pull off way more than we expect and we should also consider where the game takes place.

Back