If we can't get a fully-fledged Shenmue 4 what genre of game would you like instead?

If we can't get a fully-fledged Shenmue what genre of game would like instead?

• 3D action-arcade (i.e Battle Rally DLC)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • 2D action-arcade (i.e. Streets of Rage)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 2D action RPG (i.e. old school Zelda)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2D turn-based RPG (i.e. old school Pokemon)

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Visual Novel

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Point-and-Click

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Fully-fledged Shenmue or Anime...nothing else

Votes: 29 58.0%

• Total voters
While the main preference would always be an authentic Shenmue game, I'd be interested in seeing a Point-and-Click adventure.

I played tons of those when I was younger and it's a genre I still appreciate today. I remember playing Batman: The Telltale Series a few years ago and that had some fitting elements in it with the investigation sections and QTE fights.

My main gripe with Telltale games though, is that they are too easy. The investigative sections never last more than a few minutes. I like classical Point-and-Click games where you can get completely stuck at several points throughout the game.

Then there's Blacksad: Under The Skin, a Point-and-Click adventure by Pendulo Studios which had some similarities with the Batman game, but was much more challenging. It had some technical/peformance issues, but in terms of style and storytelling it was great.

Of course there's also Blade Runner by Westwood Studios which got a remaster last year, which is also a great game in that detective sub-genre of Point-and-Click adventures.

Where I'm going with this is that I believe a Point-and-Click Shenmue could work as long as the investigation part is challenging, it contains an action element and above all the storytelling is there.

In all honesty I'd be willing to try any genre as long as it captures the Shenmue atmosphere, but I don't think we'll ever see a strong deviation like that. It's more of an angle I'd expect fan games to explore.

Back