IGN gives Death Stranding a 6.8 review score

yeah chapter 13 is a bit of an unpleasant one, I like the twists but it definitely felt a bit like a slogg, chapter 14 being a rollercoaster of emotions through made up for that especially with all the context changes it had.
That vietnam scene especially, god damn that scene hits hard when you know sam is Cliff's son and you notice that scene was Cliff realizing this. Everything related to Cliff was so well handled and I'm glad the game realized that was the note they needed to end on, not some big apacolyptic final conflict or existential philosophy, just the tragic story of a father trying to see his son one last time.

These couple lines right here I think are the part of the game thats going to stick with me much like the final words of mgs4 were
I love how all his dialogue in the Vietnam scene (I think?) was actually just taken from his death scene, somehow made it more impactful, and maybe I was blind but I didn't see the Cliff/Sam twist coming... but loved it. I can see why Mads won some awards for his performance in DS after that end (though Tommy Earl Jenkins rightly deserves some as well for how well he acted that final chapter)

Been playing a lot of this over last few days, I’m in chapter 8 and although I have misgivings about a lot of elements, when the game clicks it really works!

Been playing a lot of this over last few days, I’m in chapter 8 and although I have misgivings about a lot of elements, when the game clicks it really works!
Would you recommend it at full price or say wait for a sale?

I love how all his dialogue in the Vietnam scene (I think?) was actually just taken from his death scene, somehow made it more impactful, and maybe I was blind but I didn't see the Cliff/Sam twist coming... but loved it. I can see why Mads won some awards for his performance in DS after that end (though Tommy Earl Jenkins rightly deserves some as well for how well he acted that final chapter)
Nah the twist was very well masked through red herrings, I think most people didnt see it coming cause they really do a fantastic job tricking you into thinking the bb is cliff's son even when the game starts smacking you in the face about it, I do think you are expected to sort of figure it out in the time between the nam section and the end though cause you do have that pretty big hint slapped accross your face when you learn that bridget's cancer prevented her having children so she could never have Amelie, but even that scene does a good job tricking you out cause they focus so heavily on only Amelie that you neglect to remember that sam was her brother so how the hell is he bridget's kid cause he was born way after.

Honestly everything about the cliff stuff elevates the game for me greatly, cause itsd so integral to alot of the game and changes alot of context. And yeha diehardman/john's performance was also spectactular, it felt like he was going for the oscar or something when he was having his breakdown in front of sam

Also one last note I guess neither of us mentioned, but death stranding truly has the greatest twist, when we find out that higgs was the pizza guy and thats why those missions are so annoying and unfun, cause its literally the villain fucking with us and you see all those open pizza boxes in his hidout with writing on the wall that makes charlie from the pepe sylvia bit in sunny look sane.

Personally, id say it is as long as your willing to take the risk that the game is divisive. The game was very content dense/long and has one of the best gameplay loops where each chapter genuinely would bring something new everytime so it was some serious bang for your buck. I do hate the notion that the game doest get good until a half dozen hours in or whatever cause the game honestly has a pretty enjoyable start with its simplicity, but it should be noted that chapter 3 is where the game does open up and become alot more fun and you are better off just being deadset on getting there asap, so technically yeah it does "get good" that late in.

If it werent for this year being insanely solid and loaded with quality games, it'd probably be my goty in any other year.

Last edited:
Might pick this up, but is there a bit in it where someone actually pulls off their toenail?

I am not joking, if there is, it will legit make me say no to buying it. I can tolerate a lot of stuff in a game, bit ripping off toenails is a hell no.

Might pick this up, but is there a bit in it where someone actually pulls off their toenail?

I am not joking, if there is, it will legit make me say no to buying it. I can tolerate a lot of stuff in a game, bit ripping off toenails is a hell no.

You won't get to this part if you are not a dick to your avatar, meaning making him walk barefoot or with a worn out footwear for extended periods of time.

Happy Holidays to you all btw!

Absolute legend bud. Thank you! I knew I wasn't crazy and there was something like that.

If that's how to avoid it, then I will definitely make sure his or her footwear is always 100%

i didn't even need to try to avoid getting this bit to avoid seeing it, it feels like you pretty much need to go out of your way to never replace your footwear to get it.

The game is already on sale.

I would recommend it even though there’s some esoteric design choices. If you ever played and enjoyed Shadow of the Colossus or Metal Gear Solid 2, the game feels like a weird love child of both games in some ways,

Also the presentation and audio design is really top notch.

Was up until 4am beating the game today. I have some conflicting thoughts on some of elements leading to the ending.

The social strand system I think is a stroke of genius and I can’t tell how many times I was saved my other players instalments or power generator at just the right moment. Going to take a few days to digest it all but it was certainly a unique experience.

Was up until 4am beating the game today. I have some conflicting thoughts on some of elements leading to the ending.

The social strand system I think is a stroke of genius and I can’t tell how many times I was saved my other players instalments or power generator at just the right moment. Going to take a few days to digest it all but it was certainly a unique experience.
just going off the social aspect, can I also just say how nice it is to play a game where the main character isnt some hardened killer and you go the whole game without killing anyway, unless you absolutely go as out of the way as possible to do so in which cause the game will then fuck you over hard with bt's.

Im not one of those people that goes off and complains about killer protagonists like those guys that try to view uncharted as some tonal dissonance cause drake kills lots of people (in total self defence), but it is just great to play a big AAA game where both the protagonist isnt a killer and is also filled with alot of positive messages and optimism despite the bleak setting.

Never planned on getting the game but probably will now based on you guys feedback. Only when it's on sale though.
It's been many years now. When Shenmue 3 came out I saw this topic too. Lots of negatives for Death Stranding in many threads. A few days ago I finally got it on sale for $20. I'm still glad that I got it for 1/3rd of the price. But the game itself is incredible. And Kojima is not exactly wrong. Most don't even understand just how much action is in this game, stealth, shooting, grenades. The crazy motorbike tracks. I'm replaying it the second time now. The only thing he needed feedback on, exactly like Suzuki. You start with a freaking action scene, as in you the player are using what's in the game. He can then slow it down all he likes. It'd grab the fans and hold them. Oh well. The story from either is not that great. I see comments on YouTube about just make a movie not the game. It'd not be such a great film, just like Shenmue. I forgive a lot cause the gameplay is there. And Death stranding is way way more action oriented, a huge open world, tons to do.

It's sort of what I expected, the open world aspect of Metal Gear Solid V was the worst design decision for the project, it worked for Ground Zeroes as a focused mission in a decently sized area but MGS5's Open World lead to an uninspired location & a flood of generic Missions which were irrelevant to the progression of the story - I say this as someone who loved the series up until that point and didn't even mind Peace Walker. Like MGS5 The review notes on how the majoirty of the missions are fetch-quests and I can see that structure getting stale very quick.

Along with the idea having to balance your luggage and having it topple over, this is an idea that was also panned in NeverDead, in which you get knocked to bits and have to collect your limbs back, while it didn't mind the concept it sure did get frustrating! So it's a pass from me for now, probably buy it mid-late next year cheaper.
I hope you did get it. I loved MGS V BTW, so we differ there. The whole point is to use gadgets, stealth, bikes and trucks. Build bridges and so on, so you almost never lose your cargo. Using strategy, plus we all help each other. I build you use, you build I use. I finally got it this many years later, and there are tons of people playing every day right with me. It's extremely addictive too.

I have so many mixed and conflicting thoughts on the game. It has some incredible highs but also plagued by overindulgence which is part and parcel of Kojima’s later efforts.

I did end up repurchasing the PS5 special edition and while the increased framerate and fidelity was appreciated the increased traversal options did lesson some of the challenges and ultimately I look much more fondly on my initial playthrough.

I will be interested to see what direction they go with DS2. I wonder if Low Roar will/can be back given recent circumstances.

It's been many years now. When Shenmue 3 came out I saw this topic too. Lots of negatives for Death Stranding in many threads. A few days ago I finally got it on sale for $20. I'm still glad that I got it for 1/3rd of the price. But the game itself is incredible. And Kojima is not exactly wrong. Most don't even understand just how much action is in this game, stealth, shooting, grenades. The crazy motorbike tracks. I'm replaying it the second time now. The only thing he needed feedback on, exactly like Suzuki. You start with a freaking action scene, as in you the player are using what's in the game. He can then slow it down all he likes. It'd grab the fans and hold them. Oh well. The story from either is not that great. I see comments on YouTube about just make a movie not the game. It'd not be such a great film, just like Shenmue. I forgive a lot cause the gameplay is there. And Death stranding is way way more action oriented, a huge open world, tons to do.
I ended up liking it, was obsessed with building roads. One of those games I probably won't rush out to get the sequel, but will be interested in.

I ended up liking it, was obsessed with building roads. One of those games I probably won't rush out to get the sequel, but will be interested in.

After MGS 2, Kojima has received lifelong good will from me. With that said my first play through was pretty powerful compared to my subsequent playthrough of directors cut.

I did enjoy the strand gameplay as mentioned and community that was built around that.

Back