IGN gives Death Stranding a 6.8 review score

Yeah I don't trust IGN much either...I mean they gave MGS5 a 10 out of 10 (how anyone could give what is essentially an unfinished product a perfect score is beyond me)

But I'm not just basing my opinion on the reviews. I'm basing it on the fact that the game itself really hasn't sold me on it. The reviews are just further confirmation that all the red flags I've seen in advance about this game may have been true.

The reaction from the fanboys has been hilarious though.

MGS5 gets 10 out of 10 from most outlets and they wave it around proudly in your face as if it means something.

Death Stranding gets some mediocre reviews and suddenly the same outlets are all "full of shit" and "they just don't get Kojima's genius"

It's been a fun weekend watching the Hardcore Kojima fanboys melt down :D
Yeah MGS5 was far from perfect. I don't get people calling it shit though, it's still a good game even if it does become a chore to finish. Actually as someone who doesn't visit any video game related website outside of the dojo most of this doesn't seem relevant at all to the game itself.

MGS used to be a Story driven liniar experence. MGS 5 is "just" a open world game with the MGS label.It has Nothing to do with MGS. The missions are all very similar, same goes for the Setting and the Story is virtual non existent.

It is the worst game ever from the perspective of a old School MGS fan like myself.

But from the Point of view of a open world game fan, the relatviely high scores of MGS 5 can be justified. It might develiver a good open world experience if you like that stuff that might be great.

Same goes for Death Stranding. Might not be a game for a fan of the old School Kojima fans but for the open world fans, that like exploring it might a good game.

The only thing about DS that bugs me is the hype. The game of the Generation moniker that is given to the game is just overkill.

Kojima Fanboys are out of Control. It might a good game for genre fans but it is not so different from Horizon Zero Dawn or any other high rated open world game.

People just think it has to better because it is made by Kojima. That is funny.

I love MGS V gameplay I hate the story (also I hate the stupid techbubble anachronic with the in-series consistency of Peace Walker). About Death Stranding I don't know, the story for me does not look that appealing, also the idea of the core gameplay being moving around packages does not seduce me. Also I am pretty tired of the post apocaliptic setting in general. I would have preferred to play a Silent Hills clone instead of this, but it was Kojima's decission.

To capture lightning in a bottle & be genre-defining, Death-stranding needed something completely out of the box and also be forward thinking, pushing the industry forward. Like introducing brand new tech & an original new template(genre) from the grounds up. Kind of like what Yu Suzuki did in setting the example throughout his career.

Long time Shenmue fan, first time commenter.

Here are my thoughts on what Death Stranding is, what it does well and what it doesn't. This will be a wee bit long, so bear with me (kinda like a review of sorts).

1.) Gameplay: From what I've seen of this game it gives the initial impression of a walking or hiking simulator but, there is more going on underneath the surface, like the environment terrain is like a puzzle, an obstacle to overcome and it is the biggest enemy you'll face in this game. I like to compare the old mario games from 8 to 16bit era (more on that later). In relation to DS with an example: there is a deep stream you have to go across, first you scan the area, colour coded areas appear ( red=bad yellow= caution) the red is an no-go, do you see a rock jutting in the river that can be used as an anchor, maybe a ladder can be used like a bridge to overcome the R=bad, but then you've lost that ladder for some other obstacle down the line, what if you went upstream to see if the water levels drop, it would be slow and you could be walking ( walking simulator in the realist sense) for ages with the same risk of damaging the packages from falling over the awkward, bumpy terain ( balance is important in game, which in turn is affected by your carrying weight, which then affects your stamina) but you've saved that ladder you might need for that mountain up ahead.
You get to the mountain ( all of the examples above work for this except the angles have changed ) you start climbing at a 90 degrees angle but now your stamina going down fast because of how steep it's getting ( stamina goes %0 you fall or slide down eg damaged delivery). What can you do? You could use that ladder you didn't use earlier for leverage on a surface to climb above the new obstacle in your way, and this can apply to a straight up angle, 90 degrees or a narrow flat cliff edge.
I personally think it's a great gameplay loop that can carry it and it's somewhat innovative and rather strangely compelling aswell. Because it's meant to feel like an actual journey getting there, overcoming that obstacle and the BTs and such. I can picture seeing that mountain over there and feeling a sense of achievement getting to the top and looking down at where you were before unlike in other games, like "Bethesdas" mountain meme (see that mountain over there you can go there) all I'm thinking is oooookay any thing new, anywhere?

Now back to the mario comparison. So the walking simulator part is more like a platform puzzle, or a new take on it. Instead of mario jumping on a koopa or avoiding a fireball plant, he has tools for the job like the mushrooms or the feather you can get to fly over those annoying axe throwing gits. It's a simple, almost tedious premise but alot more is going on than just spamming the jump button over and over.

But hear is where I think the game falls short, BADLY, and I think it's a real shame cause there is potential here in spades but, it's just not rewarding enough. The gameplay-loop of stealth, walking -simulator with minor combat would work if the games length, especially the campaign, 40 plus hours on average we're hearing, was shorter. The crappy " thanks, see you later" generic npc holographs that you can deliver packages to for the vast MAJORITY of side quests and some main story plot points just smacks of lazy fetch quests. The journey to get there is bloody brilliant and tells a story all on its own and then you're reminded your're just a glorified delivery guy with no meaningfull reason to keep going, no new interesting character or story progression that has real weight ( pun not intended HA HA) to the struggles of the main character, Sam Bridges Porter.

I was quite worried by the trailers because of Kojima's last 2 games which either ( in MGS4 case) had such convoluted story, which that in itself isn't a bad thing, but then you add a 15 upward to 45 minute cutscene ( I'm not joking here) just to tell me about nano bots that could have been explained in 5 to 10 minutes with no character development in that time at all; as a point I loved MGS1 to 3 but I never finished MGS4 because it just wasn't REWARDING in any way to go through that and I'm a guy that loves heavy dialog games. Then MGS5, the polar opposite of 4 in story with amazingly inventive ways to stealth/combat loop your way through the missions, unfortunately the mission become very, very repetitive with no real meaning of why you should keep doing it for the 50th time. That to me, which is just my opinion, is the problem of DS: It has an amazingly new fresh gameplay loop that can be compelling but coupled with no "cohesive, foused story" and repetitive unrewarding rewards for your trouble ( fetch quests ) getting there. In closing DS is a better game than MGS4 and 5 ( more story than 5, no overly long cutscenes like 4 that would make you lose the will to live for a fleeting moment) but has all of the messy, horrible parts of their DNA still in it more (fetch quest ) or less ( poorly executed story ). I think if someone was there to tell Kojima NO when he needed to hear it instead of YES, SIR in relation to pacing throughout the game and taking advantage of SONY's ability to take his "story ideas", which are good, and turn it into a functional, enjoyable experience that is well executed then I don't think reviewers or ourselves would be talking as much about the divisive view that the game has as much. That is a real shame because it could have been something amazing instead of being just....okay to good.

Thanks for reading if you got to the end, HA HA.

Really.
What about this:
- grueling exercise in frustration.
- exhausting.
- stubborn movements
- insultingly holow
- causing anxiety instead of terror.
- torturous
- shockingly easy
- pretty dull
- need to work incredible hard to enjoy it

And dont forget when he says the inventory system is BS, the fights with BTs are BS and when he says that the mains story mission are like the optional missions of any open world game.

sorry I was not being serious. But in truth I will say the walking and stuff does look frustrating and the baby. But being used to 9 nephew and nieces and having held most of them when they were infants I assume they don't have kids or have baby sat if that is frustrating. The game takes a different approach and Kojima made these things intentional. But there is transportation in the game so it can't be that bad. I also want to note I have not played a kojima game in a while and this one got my attention.

A slightly more unbiased score would likely be
large_7V6X3C6WAQcSBEXqbQ9HpPLrc8p.jpg
out of 10 Geoff Keighleys.

A slightly more unbiased score would likely be
large_7V6X3C6WAQcSBEXqbQ9HpPLrc8p.jpg
out of 10 Geoff Keighleys.
Lose the horse and strap a baby on Kevin Costner instead and you've already got Death Stranding: The Movie right there.

Never watched this, so had to look up a synopsis.

Yeah this is tit-for-tat Death Stranding's plot.
That's not a shock, Kojima ripped something else off before ;).

Lose the horse and strap a baby on Kevin Costner instead and you've already got Death Stranding: The Movie right there.
I actually like the style here. I wouldn't have minded if Death Stranding also had a more "basic" style instead of science fiction elements. It highlights the survival aspect a bit more that way. But I guess that it would be too similar that way instead of being inspired by it and building on the concept.

Never watched this, so had to look up a synopsis.
Yeah this is tit-for-tat Death Stranding's plot.
I haven't seen it either but saw someone mention this early on when the very first gameplay details were shown. To be honest, it's possible that I might check out Death Stranding later on. There's just another game coming out this month that I want to devote time to first ;) I don't mind immersive games where traveling and the struggle against the environment is a big part. The only problem according to a few reviewers might be that the concept wasn't well executed and felt too much like fetch quests instead of a journey.

Wait...so Death stranding and MGS were borderline plagiarized games...?

But these two are the games that his fame is riding on...

And now he comes out admitting Kojima Production is basically a film studio who makes games on the side...?

This is making Kojima's legend status feels like a lie...:hmm::(

There's a very good reason for that you see, his status is a lie.

Not to say he didn't contribute anything to the industry, Metal Gear was the first real stealth game, and he did some experimental story telling type games on the Sega CD, but after that, he didn't improve/expand on any of that, not did he so called "pushed" the boundaries of gaming after then.

He just got lucky that the wannabe crowd(You know the small subsect of the mainstream crowd that pretend to want something new/intriguing, but really just wants more mainstream fodder). clings to him, that's all it is.

There's a very good reason for that you see, his status is a lie.

Not to say he didn't contribute anything to the industry, Metal Gear was the first real stealth game, and he did some experimental story telling type games on the Sega CD, but after that, he didn't improve/expand on any of that, not did he so called "pushed" the boundaries of gaming after then.

He just got lucky that the wannabe crowd(You know the small subsect of the mainstream crowd that pretend to want something new/intriguing, but really just wants more mainstream fodder). clings to him, that's all it is.
No it wasn't:oops:. That would be Tenchu. Tenchu release in Japan was February 26th 1998. MGS1 Japan release September 3rd 1998. Or are you talking about the one from 1987:unsure:

Last edited:
No it wasn't:oops:. That would be Tenchu. Tenchu release in Japan was February 26th 1998. MGS1 Japan release September 3rd 1998. Or are you talking about the one from 1987:unsure:
Metal Gear was in 1987 or something(Its sequal was even subbed Solid Snake), when it whent full 3D, he changed the IP name to MGS.

Yes that's right, It's part of the same franchise technically, plus is cannon, and had stealth.

Wait...so Death stranding and MGS were borderline plagiarized games...?

But these two are the games that his fame is riding on...

And now he comes out admitting Kojima Production is basically a film studio who makes games on the side...?

This is making Kojima's legend status feels like a lie...:hmm::(
This was never a secret though... And its not like they are carbon copies, Kojima just like to give hommage to movies through his games since his goal has always been to bridge the gap between the two.

I would not say his earlier games were rip offs. Kojima was partially ispired by Hollywood and he mixed his ideas of Hollywood movies with some Kind of japanse weirdness.

It worked well in the early days, games like Snatcher, Policenauts and the first MGS were unique. It was time when cinematic games were rather uncommon, and the same goes for adult Story telling.

So Kojima could shine. I am still a fan of his early games but Kojima reached his zenith with MGS 3. After MGS 3 his games just became to weird.

It was also during this time when other games started to match the Kojima Style of Story telling or even surpase it.

Gameplaywise MGS was not the best game anyway as well. I like MGS for the Story and the weird characters. I was never a real fan of Splinter Cell's Sam Fisher but Splinter Cell has always been a better game than Metal Gear Solid.

It played more fluid, the Actions Sam could perform were way superior than the moves of Snake and co.

Back